• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird losing feathers

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
My boyfriends mother has a beautiful lovebird that keeps losing its feathers. I don’t see him scratching much but he does have a mate and I’m unsure if she is causing this By pecking him or if it is some underlying disease. His rear end is irritated, pink, scabby and bloody. I don’t see any signs of infection such as puss or any draining but it looks really irritated. He will be seeing a vet but the appointment I got isn’t for a while due to so many people setting appointments. Is there any topical treatment I can give him in the mean time? I will be separating him from his mate til he heals to ensure she doesn’t mess with the healing process . So far his tail is almost completely gone and his wings are on their way out.

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like there’s a little blood there. These feathers aren’t coming out naturally, IMO. I think he (or his mate) is plucking them out. Just my 2 cents!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don´t put anything on it. Just wait for the appointment patiently. In the meantime, if you see any bleeding, hold cornstarch or flour gently but firmly on the bleeding area to help clot the blood.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Definitely vet visit, could be a sign of stress. Could even be moulting, since its supposed to be itchy and they could be pulling feathers out prematurely. Beautiful bird though! :budgie2:

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Don´t put anything on it. Just wait for the appointment patiently. In the meantime, if you see any bleeding, hold cornstarch or flour gently but firmly on the bleeding area to help clot the blood.
This bird is not tamed so I’m not sure how I’m going to get anything on him for treatment. He’s been through Atleast 3-4 homes and was never interacted with :( could be stress but I never see him scratching himself or plucking so I’m at a loss

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This bird is not tamed so I’m not sure how I’m going to get anything on him for treatment.
For now if you need to add cornstarch to a bleed, towel him with a thick teeshirt, don´t squeeze too hard as birds move their bodys to breathe.
If your vet tells you to do something to the area, you will have to towel him each time.

I never see him scratching himself or plucking so I’m at a loss
He likely does it at night then.. or when no one is home.