• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Looking for Home - Northeast US

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Hello! As per my last thread, I caught a lovebird who had been roaming free in Manhattan for months. I have been unable to find his owner, so I am looking for a new home for him. I figured I'd post his information here as well, in case there is anyone who would be interested in taking him.

"This Fischer's Lovebird is a pet escapee that has been living with a flock House Sparrows in Morninside Park in Manhattan, NY. He was first sighted around May 2020, and managed to survive. He was fortunately captured in October 2020. His information has been posted on multiple sites on the internet, but his owner has yet to step forward and claim him, so it is time to find him a new home. This lovebird has been thriving outside, with lots of flying and interacting with other birds. He really enjoys that sort of life, and I would like him to achieve something as close to that as possible in his new home. He would not do well alone in a standard-sized cage. He does not enjoy interactions with humans (he is very fearful). A large enclosure (like an aviary) with other lovebirds would be the best outcome for him. Also, I have no information on age, sex, or past history."

I am currently in NYC, but I will be spending the winter in Maryland. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours from Maryland starting in December to drop him off, if there is anyone within that radius who could provide a suitable home for this lovebird. I will be asking for a reasonable rehoming fee.
IMG_8634.jpg IMG_8739 - Copy.jpg

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could try Long Island Parrot Society - they have a placement program. And somebody just posted in their fb group - looking to adopt a lovebird.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Could try Long Island Parrot Society - they have a placement program. And somebody just posted in their fb group - looking to adopt a lovebird.
He is actually already in their placement program. :) I just haven't had anyone reach out to me through that yet. I will check out the Facebook group though, thanks!

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if someone half way would be willing to take your sweet rescue and the other lovie looking for a home from Florida....actually, I am half way, lol!

I hope you find a great home soon!!! I love this little guy's (gal's ?) story!!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I've had people reach out to me interested, but none that could offer him an aviary-type living situation with other birds. :( I really would be willing to drive up to 4-5 hours to meet halfway or drop this guy off, if someone is willing to travel a bit to meet me or is within that distance.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I've had people reach out to me interested, but none that could offer him an aviary-type living situation with other birds. :( I really would be willing to drive up to 4-5 hours to meet halfway or drop this guy off, if someone is willing to travel a bit to meet me or is within that distance.
I am in VT and have a room I am planning to turn into a bird room. I have two other lovebirds as well, both Fischer’s as well as other birds if no one else can take him.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Update!
As I am relocating for the winter, I decided to speed up the process and I reached out to the parrot placement people at the Long Island Parrot Society to see if they have anyone who could foster/adopt him, and they connected me with some people. Today I was able to drop him off at the Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine in Manhattan. I am not sure what the plan for him is -- whether the Center will try and place him in a home on their own, or whether he will continue to be a part of LIPS' adoption program. Either way, I know that he is in excellent hands. :) I'll post an update about his home if I get one.