• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird laying egg first time

Sasi

Moving in
Hi all,

My lovebird Mossy just about 18 months old. She’s a female and no male bird around. Mossy just randomly laid her egg under my blanket last night (she usually hiding there when I’m not home) I noticed her nesting behavior but didn’t expected the egg. I moved the egg to a nesting box and she slept in there last night. This morning she seems to ignore the egg. Does she ignore because it was infertile?

What should I do?
Would she lay more?

I’m going to be out of town for 5days and I usually take her to a bird boarding store. Would she be okay? I’m so worried about her.
Thank you for all advice!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn't offer a nest box. You can offer paper for her to shred and make a little comfy spot on the cage floor but you don't really want her to get too cozy in a box.
It's OK she ignores the egg, some girls will, even those who have a mate and have bred before.
My youngest girl doesn't bother with her eggs either, she just doesn't have the brooding instinct.
When you go to leave, if she hasn't been near the egg, you can remove it. If she's brooding it, leave it with her. Remove the egg 3 weeks after the date she started sitting on it, no later.
Be sure she gets rest while she lays, a calcium supplement or offering more calcium rich foods right now can be helpful.
Hens usually lay an egg every 24-48 hours. Average clutches are 5-7. I have found my girls first clutches were 2 eggs. So don't worry if she only lays one egg or a small clutch.

Sasi

Moving in
Thank you for your advice Zara. She barely stay in her cage. I let her roam around my apartment. She didn’t get attached to the nest either. She tends to like blanket more.
Am I being over paranoid? She has less energy sometimes. Couple days After laying her egg. She has been sleeping so much. Hiding under my blanket even when I’m home. She only come out to eat and check in with me for a little bit. Normally she’s home by herself like that but more excited when I come home before.
Thank you for all feedback