• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird is flying around the neighborhood

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
So i walked out to get the paper a few hours ago...and apparently he followed. Took me about an hour to notice because i was working. He‘s unclipped and i was following him around a circular area around my house as he goes from tree top to tree top.

I have all the windows open in the house and the cage is in the middle of the yard open with food. Other than that its a waiting game, im sure this has happened to others on here. Whats the odds of him flying back in do you guys think?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i was following him around a circular area around my house as he goes from tree top to tree top.
Try to keep your eyes on him and see where he goes.
Try calling to him.
Get a friend to post on a facebook group and alerting neighbour, while you keep near him.

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
Try to keep your eyes on him and see where he goes.
Try calling to him.
Get a friend to post on a facebook group and alerting neighbour, while you keep near him.
This is one of those independent lovebirds, he kinda does what he wants. Im friends with the neighbors and i told them. He is no longer in the immediate area he’s off exploring it seems. I have the new conure that he loves outside in their daytime spot...maybe he will come looking for his friend im thinking. I’m pretty pissed at myself not going to lie, he never follows me to the door in the am..only takes once though smh

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I posted this for someone else, maybe somthing on the list is helpful to you;
Have you listed him on www.parrotalert.com ?
Post in facebook groups,
Email all vets (even cats/dogs ones)
create flyers to post in local shops etc
Walk around the streets calling him
Go around the neighbourhood with pictures asking if anyone has seen him
Check neighbours gardens
Check on top of apartment building roofs
Look in the local park in the trees
Advise local animal services (the pound, rescue centres)
Drop a poster off at the police station, fire station

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
I posted this for someone else, maybe somthing on the list is helpful to you;
Thank you, the problem here is directly behind my house is a large park. Off to the side of my house is deep woods and two streets in front of the house is downtown. last i saw he was flying towards the deep woods, i did follow and call him for about an hour but he was to excited to pay attn then dipped. He Knows the house very well he‘s outside in different parts of the yard in his cage almost everyday...So he knows where his home his I’m kinda feeling like its up to him at this point.

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
I do wonder if he does end up living outside if he would migrate with the other birds when winter hits? Any thoughts? That may be a dumb thing to think but thats what I’m concerned about.

At least he has full wings, and i taught him to forage for his food. That gives him decent odds i think.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It’s very unlikely he’d survive that long. Pet birds don’t know how to live in the wild.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
i would do what Zara suggested. even if he's clipped, he can still fly. just keep the doors and windows closed and hopefully, he'll come back. its unlikely for a bird, espicially a tiny lovie to survive for more than a few days

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Any updates?

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is this bird listed on parrot alert now?
Is he posted about in facebook lost/found groups?

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
So no luck yet, just got back in from looking. Im almost positive i heard him in a neighbors batch of trees in the direction he flew as the sun went down. So ill be out at sunup to search that area and the area within a radius if that was not him.

Also he didn‘t follow me out of the door after some looking i found a window screen near his cage where he had chewed enough space to get out. It was in a tough spot to see. I had my airpods in while i was working and was zoned out that had to have been when it happened now that ive thought more about it.

And i have not posted to any of those yet been on the hunt, i will tonight though.

I will give updates, thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can your bird fly downwards well. Burt can pretty much drop directly down from something without hardly moving forwards while flapping to control his drop (I hope this makes sense I am having trouble finding the words to explain), a lot of birds can not fly straight down well without a lot of space so I am just thinking if your bird is one of those that needs a lot of space to fly from something high then it is no good standing under trees calling him.... better to stand across the road from where your bird is so it can descend while also moving forwards.

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
Can your bird fly downwards well. Burt can pretty much drop directly down from something without hardly moving forwards while flapping to control his drop (I hope this makes sense I am having trouble finding the words to explain), a lot of birds can not fly straight down well without a lot of space so I am just thinking if your bird is one of those that needs a lot of space to fly from something high then it is no good standing under trees calling him.... better to stand across the road from where your bird is so it can descend while also moving forwards.
I know exactly what your talking about, he is good at that move. He is the type to not let me pick him up until he has worn himself out. So im hoping if i find him again tomorrow he will be more likely to come down.

Fiveboy

Meeting neighbors
This happened to me three days ago! Our flock cage with 7 birds was found with a door ajar (these are crafty birds!). 6 birds were out. I have them in an enclosed overhang area adjacent to my front door that is screened in. Two of them stayed around and on the cage of their birth parents(!) inside the secondary screened area. We recaptured them. One (a hand trained who loves my wife) just stayed in the flock cage, the remaining three were free. The next day one of the three jailbirds returned to our upper balcony! We tried to induce him to get caught. It seemed like he was attracted by the sounds of our other birds (which Im sure he recognized). We put the flock cage outside (its on wheel) and he landed on it. Long story short we trapped him (he seemed to cooperate!) and returned him to the flock cage (which you can bet has now got characteristics of a Federal Super Max).

The point of the story is you never know. I would suggest you just offer attractions that are familiar as well as inducing and hope for the best. Running around the neighborhood yelling its name etc seems *to me* like clapping for Tinkerbelle.

Yes it can happen. Good luck.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Running around the neighborhood yelling its name etc seems *to me* like clapping for Tinkerbelle.
A member very recently did get their bird back by calling them in the street. Wish I ould remember the username but it escapes me.
My friend got one of her birds back by leaving the cage outside with lovebird sounds playing.

So I see the benefit of both - you could leave a friend or family member at the house with the cage and the bird sounds while you go out calling :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear this! I hope he comes back soon.

If you can't have your conure outside for any reason, or can't take him round your neighborhood, maybe try recording him and playing that as well?

Chandler101

Meeting neighbors
So he was in that neighbors batch of trees...and he‘s going back and forth between 4 big trees on the street. And I haven’t been able to get him to come down so far..been trying everything. I’m on a break now....ill update