• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird is bonding with my PUG!

Loki’s Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Mohr
Hey y’all!

We just got Loki the baby lovebird a few weeks ago and he loves being wherever we are at in the house, he will follow us from room to room but is till shy with our hands so we are trying to work on that.

I work from home so I open his cage in the morning and he will come out and run over to the dining room where myself and our dogs are as they hang out with me all day. This week he has decided that he is in love with my 10 year old Pug Callie ♥ He wants to be next to her and have snacks by her and sleep as close as he can get to her. If she gets up and walks off he follows her. She’s the sweetest dog but she gets up and moves away when he tries to preen her. Yesterday he was chasing her through the house like !!!! LET ME LOVE YOU!!! All while Callie is looking at me like “ mom what is this thing and why is it chasing me “?!

Anyway, is this normal? Can he love us and the dog at the same time? I’m kind of jealous

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd separate them. If they're never in the same room again, this can't happen. It doesn't sound ideal or safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
As sparkles said, best to keep the pair apart. Your dog might get annoyed or fed up and swat your bird, or accidentally step on her, or lick her. Definitely not safe.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
While pugs are pretty well known for being snorty potato pillows, they can definitely let someone/thing know when they’re over it. It’s definitely funny that Loki was chasing her all over the house, but even the most patient and docile dog can hit their limit. Thankfully because pugs are so extremely brachycephalic, they can’t get as good a bite as, say, a shepherd, but even a nip would do detrimental damage to something as small as a lovebird.

I would definitely agree that the time they spend together needs to be severely limited - as someone with dogs and birds myself, I know it’s hard to completely cut contact between the two, so maybe a baby gate to keep the dogs out of the room? Or are you able to work in a room where Loki can be out without concern of him flying to Callie?