• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird has watery poops after accident

Anna Bono

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!
So lovely to meet everyone here. I have a very sweet, 11 month old Peach-Faced Lovebird. He is so full of energy and loves people. About two months ago, he had an accident where he was crushed in a drawer (the drawer was closing as he flew to it). We didn’t think he’d make it out alive but by a miracle, he is still with us. At the time of the accident. He became non responsive and was vomiting blood. We brought him to emerg and they gave us pain meds with antibiotics. He kept vomiting the antibiotics so we just gave him the pain meds. Fast forward to present moment and he’s doing a lot better; however, he hasn’t been quite the same.
For example, he drinks SO much. Any water he sees or can get his little beak on and he’s always drinking. With that being said, his crop gets so full so quickly and it looks dissented (protrudes). His poops are also VERY watery. Sometimes there isn’t any fecal mater and it’s just a watery poop. I’m really concerned because I’m not sure if this is an infection or if it’s long term damage from the accident.
We went to the vet yesterday because he couldn’t keep anything down (vomiting) and the vet was going to charge us over $1500.00 for testing which we just can’t justify right now.
Your help on dietary or health instructions would be so appreciated!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: to the forum ...I know testing is expensive but maybe you could do the ones that really need to be done and leave the rest for a later date ... I hope your lil one will be ok :hug8:

Anna Bono

Checking out the neighborhood
:welcomesign: to the forum ...I know testing is expensive but maybe you could do the ones that really need to be done and leave the rest for a later date ... I hope your lil one will be ok :hug8:
Thank you so much! Yea. We’re observing him now with probiotics. If that doesn’t help we’re going to do blood work. Thank you!