• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird green colour urine

Birdy2020

Moving in
Hi,

I have a lovebird that has an abnormal dropping especially at night. He has been sick before and his vet has put him on antibiotic and anti fungal treatments. After taking the anti fungal treatment his dropping changed to have a perfectly normal faces (green) and urates (white) but green urine. This happens especially at night and early morning. Otherwise his dropping seems to be normal. He has been in isolation from his friend (another young lovebird) during his treatment and I have not put them back together because I am not sure if this is contagious.
I know birds tend to hide their illness but he seems much better after his treatment, his eating, drinking and general activities are back to normal.
I contacted his vet to ask about this but she suggested that the medication might had hurt his liver and that it will take some time to recover.
I had attached photos of his early morning dropping.
I would appreciate your advice especially if you had encounter something like this before.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ask your vet about milk thistle. By prescription or Amazon

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I don´t know about the effects medicines can have on poops etc.

I will say, if you are unsure or feel there is something else going on, call the vet back and express your concerns. And as a further option, you could find another vet for a second opinion.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No-alcohol Milk Thistle extract is the goto medicaton for liver issues. It will not harm your bird if you give it and your bird does not have liver stress/damage.

Thttps://smile.amazon.com/Thistle-Extract-Alcohol-Vegetarian-Horbaach/dp/B07RLX4JH6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=non-alcoholic+milk+thistle&qid=1617636886&sr=8-6his is the brand I have used for 15 years.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No-alcohol Milk Thistle extract is the goto medicaton for liver issues. It will not harm your bird if you give it and your bird does not have liver stress/damage.

Thttps://smile.amazon.com/Thistle-Extract-Alcohol-Vegetarian-Horbaach/dp/B07RLX4JH6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=non-alcoholic+milk+thistle&qid=1617636886&sr=8-6his is the brand I have used for 15 years.
Is it bitter ML?

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Some anti fungals can cause liver damage when given orally.

Is it bitter ML?
Incredibly bitter. It was recommended to us to only put it in their water once a day and change it to fresh just in case they didn't like the taste of the milk thistle.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so sorry, I haven't seen that before. Normally I would guess that he just ate extra greens, but with the medicine I don't know....

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What's he eating?

Birdy2020

Moving in
Hi,

Thank you all for your help. I will call his vet tomorrow to ask if it is OK to give him non-alcohol milk thistle.
He used to have a mixed diet of seeds and chop that consist of fresh vegetables, egg and beans. I had not given him any vegetables for 4 days, just to check if that was the cause of the change in the urine colour, but it didn't have any effect. I am trying to convert him to pellets but until now haven't succeeded.

Unfortunately, there is no avian vet in the city I live in or in the surrounding cities. His current vet was the only one in the city who had done a course on exotic birds and rodents after her graduation. Initially, I had taken him to another "more experienced" vet but that vet had no clue what was wrong with him.

I am not quite sure if this change in colour is due to liver damage or some other reason.

Did you encounter before such a case of green urine that was not caused by liver damage or diet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
After or during antibiotics the bird should get probiotics. Not ascribing the green urine to possible lack of good gut bacteria.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner