• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Lovebird Foot necrosis

Leena G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leena
My five year old lovebird is so mischievous she never stays at one place always digging things to play and carefree.. Four months ago I found her foot to b wrapped tight around with a long piece of thread or hair, it was so closely attached to her foot completely entangled.tuk her to vet,got it removed carefully. Followed by dose of NSAID.today I saw her same right foot trapped by piece of thread and it's in stage of gangrene necrosis as we Knw. D tissue is dead it's black. Please suggest sum help. I can't tk her to vet,.its a lockdown period allls shut .

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You really need to take your bird to the vet for treatment. Necrosis (like on your bird's foot) can and many times will turn into gangrene. The only cure many times for gangrene is amputation.

Id you don't believe me this is what the Dr.s say;

Leena G

Real Name
Leena
@Zara @Birdbabe @Hankmacaw

Can you call a vet or email and send the picture?
My vet who removed this thread situation from birds foot once before ..he has seen the picture and told me to anyhow remove the thread and give her medicine which I have... But m unable to remove the thread it's too tightly wrapped.. Trying again n again.. She's very much in pain

Leena G

Real Name
Leena
You really need to take your bird to the vet for treatment. Necrosis (like on your bird's foot) can and many times will turn into gangrene. The only cure many times for gangrene is amputation.

Id you don't believe me this is what the Dr.s say;
Yes I'm sure this is going to get worse.. Can't have any doctor around for now, I'm in India at present and everything is shut. No vet /avian doctors available at this time..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I wonder if he can prescribe some pain meds?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is a budgie not a lovebird.

Try your best to remove the thread, maybe get someone else to hold the bird while you do so.
Pain medication from the vet would be good if you can get it but ultimately you will need the vet to treat this (likely by amputation).

I would also try and clean up your cage removing those materials to avoid future problems.