• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird food is parrot food harmful for them

Indigoblue

Moving in
Hi there, I am new. My 15 year old son has a lovebird. We asked at the pet shop for Avi Plus complete parakeet mix. We only realised and after feeding the lovebird that it says Avi Plus complete parrot mix. Her name is Indigo. She is eating the food and throws the big pieces out. There is no sunflower seeds in in. The ingredients look the same just that it has bigger pieces in it. Can lovebirds eat parrot food? Should I rather go and get a bag of parakeet mix? Thanks

Pistachio1

Meeting neighbors
lovebirds can eat that, no problem. That said, you'll want your lovebird to get away from seeds as his primary food. Should be 50% veggies, maybe 25% pellets and 25% seeds and nuts.

Indigoblue

Moving in
Thank you. Do they eat all veggies or should we stay away from certain ones?

Indigoblue

Moving in
We are new to owning lovebirds, so any advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Pistachio1

Meeting neighbors
I don't know the full list of the ones to stay away from but avocados are definitely toxic for birds.

Mine likes broccoli, corn, kale, peas, mung beans, bean sprouts, green mango, and sometimes a little japanese pumpkin (you'd need to steam the pumpkin, and we steam the mung bean but I think he can eat those raw). everything else we serve fresh. At first he only wanted millet seeds but we introduced him to other foods consistently and scaled down the seeds, which we now only offer before bed time as a treat. It only took a couple of weeks to get him eating healthy. IMG_3955.jpg

Pistachio1

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, that is really helpful.
anytime! forgot to mention eating the food in front of him will help. Also, if you want to do a bit of theater, you can even put it in the bowl you usually eat from and even try to keep him away from it .... then he wants it more ... I've done it ... it works, even if you don't see the result for a few hours ... he'll definitely go and try it at some point once the flock 'leader' ate it , he knows it is safe

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can lovebirds eat parrot food?
Lovebirds are parrots so they can eat any parrot mixes. The only thing to watch out for is if your bird is enjoying the food and able to eat all of the pieces (not too big/ not too hard). There may be nuts they don´t like in the mix, or harder pieces they don´t eat.
I recently tried Tropican mix for my little ones and I don´t think we´ll do it again. I did use up the bag and gave it a fair shot, but they would pick out the dehydrated fruit pieces and drop them, there were other bits they didn´t seem interested in. The majority wasn´t eaten, and they would eat their pellets instead.
If your birds eats the food then great, if not maybe look for a different mix :)

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. Do they eat all veggies or should we stay away from certain ones?
Well no onions, chocolate, avocado, olives, dairy, and too much sugary stuff. Also obviously no alcohol or caffeine.