• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird flew into bathtub

Marv

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a one year old lovebird who flew into the side of our bathtub about five days ago. He seemed stunned for about 5-10 mins after it happened. He sat on my shoulder for a bit and then I placed him back into his cage. There were no obvious injuries. However for the last five days, he has not been as active, does not show much interest in coming out of his cage but he is still eating and drinking. He has come out of his cage a few times but usually sits on his cage a few minutes then goes back inside. I am extremely worried about him. Could he be dying?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe he is in pain. I would probably go to the vet and get an anti inflammatory pain med. I hope he feels better soon!

Marv

Checking out the neighborhood
I took him to the vet yesterday and got him checked out. He is OK just a little thin they said. We are giving him anti-inflammatories and have placed him in a room with a small space heater to help keep him warm and they’re going to work on helping him gain some more weight. Thank you for your response!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Glad to hear you took him to the vet and he's ok. Behaviour-wise, coming out of the cage is now paired with bad experiences - pain from contact with the bath and maybe other aversives. Just let him come out when he's ready to. Maybe put some favourite foods on top of his cage to encourage him to stay up there longer. Great to hear he is eating and drinking ok.