• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird feather picking, I need suggestions for toys

EthanBoha

Sitting on the front steps
My lovebird Romeo has started feather picking again and he needs new toys. Any suggestions?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Get toys he can shred or preen. There are vendors here that do great toys, which could help. What does he have currently? I would also suggest a vet trip, since these issues can often signal an underlying medical problem.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shreddable toys,,,cardboard,,,even junk mail..paper towels..a shredding lovie is a Happy movie! But, don t rule out a health issue...if he continues to pick, get him checked. Hope he's ok.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Like the others said, make sure it is not a musical issue as well.

As for toy suggestions, I would say natural branches and foraging toys! My lovies are a bit abnormal as they mostly shred natural perches. If I incorporate wood in toys they mostly leave it alone, but they are learning. There are a lot of DIY threads on this forum you could take a look at. I would start by making him Some toys out of paper, cardboard, finger traps, wood and beads. Good luck!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Foraging and shredding toys for sure! You can check out my shop for some ideas of stuff to look for... most of my customers with lovebirds like balsa, leather lacing seagrass, and finger traps :)

LMBT

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Providing foraging activities is great for all birds, start off easy and then get harder and you'll keep their little brains busy for a while!