• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird erratic, excessive tail wagging.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Hello all,

I have scheduled a vet visit for Monday.

My Lovebird, Marino, is acting very very strangely.

He WILL NOT STOP wagging his tail. He normally does this when he's excited but today he is clearly doing it because something is irritating him. He isn't eating quite as much, but will eat. It seems he is too distracted by something. He is still inquisitive and sociable. I have seen videos of lovebirds masturbating, and it looks like he is TRYING to masturbate, but doesn't know how. But again, he simply cannot sit still, it almost looks like he is having mini seizures, but I don't think this is the case.

I have checked online for anything that could be pathological related to tail wagging, but cannot find anything. It is wagging... not bobbing. He has pooed as normal today.

Thanks for any help!

Marino

Strolling the yard
When the tail wags it will be at a lower angle thsn usual

Marino

Strolling the yard
He also seems to lose wing coordination somewhat when it wags. Not always. He'll wag his tail and flap

Marino

Strolling the yard
Yes, it could be seizures... He was fine yesterday.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry this is happening.
I would have asked for a video but as you have managed to find a vet, best you get ready to go. If you have time to wait before you leave, keep him in a warm quiet place where he can rest. Try to be as calm as possible around him. I really hope all will be ok!!!

Marino

Strolling the yard
I´m so sorry this is happening.
I would have asked for a video but as you have managed to find a vet, best you get ready to go. If you have time to wait before you leave, keep him in a warm quiet place where he can rest. Try to be as calm as possible around him. I really hope all will be ok!!!
Yes I am getting everything sorted. I am trying to take video but he just gets too darn distracted by the phone. He is still playing, being an annoying little twerp... but he will every now and then lose complete control of himself.

He may have eaten too much of a toxic plant at some point yesterday. I didnt notice it but who knows? His parents could be related so he could have some neurological issues?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn´t bother with a video. Cage him and let him relax.

He may have eaten too much of a toxic plant at some point yesterday. I didnt notice it but who knows? His parents could be related so he could have some neurological issues?
I would tell the vet these things and see what they make of it all.

Marino

Strolling the yard
I wouldn´t bother with a video. Cage him and let him relax.

I would tell the vet these things and see what they make of it all.
He was in my hand. I've returned him to the cage. He had a quick bite of nutriberry, but isn't eating properly. He will eat sunflower seeds though, so Ive filled up his bucket with a few... I'd rather he ate something. I had to leave for work this morning (only 4 hours), and noticed he was off. He barely touched his food whilst I was out.

He doesn't seem in pain or distressed... but honestly I have no idea. I do hope everything is fixable.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Are you home yet? Keeping Marino in my thoughts!❤
so, some days ago Marino had an accident with one of his toys. He trapped his neck in the very tiny hook of a ladder he has. He must have been trapped for about 5 mins before he managed to escape. Luckily I was home so managed to support him (to stop him simply hanging off it) until he relaxed enough to manoeuvre himself free.

the vet seems to think that could have caused some trauma that may be resulting in some neurological issues. He said it may resolve itself but the situation doesn’t appear to be serious. He said otherwise Marino is in excellent health, good weight, very good temperament. As soon as he opened the cage Marino flew straight to his shoulder . He even took a selfie with him.

i have a 5 day course of antibiotics just in case there is something else going on, and a vitamin complex to give for a week (not entirely sure why... B vitamins I think).

the long and short of it is, he doesn’t seem to think it’s anything serious as his health in every other respect is good. It’s not ‘normal’ but hopefully won’t worsen, and may resolve itself.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope that the issues go away. Maybe the meds will help that :)

i have a 5 day course of antibiotics just in case there is something else going on, and a vitamin complex to give for a week (not entirely sure why... B vitamins I think).
I have no idea. I´m really not great with medicine.
I will tag @Hankmacaw , Maybe she will know :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Marino,
Glad you were able to get your guy to the vet so quickly.
The antibiotic is for any infection he may have. Many times a bird will have a low grade chronic infection and the toy did poke into him.

Vitamin B is beneficial for nerve cells and is often used in neural conditions. If for some unknown reason he hasn't been getting enough Vit B and his levels are low, neural symptoms are known to occur.

Now it's a process of giving the meds as instructed and watching your baby closely.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
so, some days ago Marino had an accident with one of his toys. He trapped his neck in the very tiny hook of a ladder he has. He must have been trapped for about 5 mins before he managed to escape. Luckily I was home so managed to support him (to stop him simply hanging off it) until he relaxed enough to manoeuvre himself free.

the vet seems to think that could have caused some trauma that may be resulting in some neurological issues. He said it may resolve itself but the situation doesn’t appear to be serious. He said otherwise Marino is in excellent health, good weight, very good temperament. As soon as he opened the cage Marino flew straight to his shoulder . He even took a selfie with him.

the long and short of it is, he doesn’t seem to think it’s anything serious as his health in every other respect is good. It’s not ‘normal’ but hopefully won’t worsen, and may resolve itself.
I am so sorry for you both! That is horrible. I had a Budgie get his neck stuck in the same type of hook! I hope your baby starts feeling better soon.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Yes! The hook is so small, I cannot even get my little finger through it so I’d never have thought it could create problems! But, it obviously did. I thought we'd gotten away with it unscathed... but it's becoming more and more evident that something is very wrong.

I cannot give the medicine. I’ve spent two hours and all I’m doing is stressing him. So I’ve arranged for him to stay at the vet for 5 days. The vet's been very generous with the price... but gosh I must have sunk about 1000 euros into this bird in only 5 months. I am so very gutted that he may have this problem forever...

This morning he was fine for the first two hours. Flying about, his usual self. The problem occurs in the cage. When the situation gets bad he has to climb to the top corner of the cage to support himself. I know this is related as he never used to position himself here. His tail shakes wildly and sometimes his feet also spasm causing him to lose balance. It's so horrible to watch... so so horrible.

I am hoping the vet can monitor him properly. When we took him he wasn't exhibiting many symptoms. It seems to come and go. For a few hours he'll be bad, then he'll return to normal.

I'll need to buy platforms etc for the cage so he can stand instead of perch. He still plays, he still sings, he still acts like my bird. It's just all so unfair.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope it’s just a temporary thing amd some improvement is seen. Sounds very scary.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve spent two hours and all I’m doing is stressing him. So I’ve arranged for him to stay at the vet for 5 days.
That´s good you have that option and are able to go that route. Like you say, being with the vet may be helpful as they will see him all the time and be able to monitor him closely.
I really hope he gets better, I´m so sorry this is happening :(

Marino

Strolling the yard
Finally looking online, I think he has Ataxia. Must be from what happened before. Unstable rear gait. Wide stance to maintain posture, uncoordinated movements. There is another (more expensive vet) that I could take him to on Monday. I might do that first to get a second opinion and then decide from there.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry he’s not doing well, and I hope he will be okay!