• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird erratic, excessive tail wagging.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Visited another vet and got another completely different opinion . She believes it is unrelated to the incident and could be due to something he has ingested.

He will remain in a tiny cage for a week so I can better monitor him (and remove him easier for medicine - lucky boy!). His faeces was full of coloured wood from his toys. So I’ll deny him access from his playthings for a week. I’ve been given a tonne of meds. We’ll see how it goes. She also suggested he could just be insanely itchy due to a molt.

She mentioned he was underweight at 40g. However he is only 5 months old. So I don’t think he is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His faeces was full of coloured wood from his toys. So I’ll deny him access from his playthings for a week.
Or try only giving natural un-dyed toys this week. Some undyed popsicle sticks, or vine balls. Or a plastic ball to play with (give it a good wash with disinfectant first, rinsing well).

She mentioned he was underweight at 40g. However he is only 5 months old. So I don’t think he is.
That is a very low weight. A few grams more would be ideal.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Or try only giving natural un-dyed toys this week. Some undyed popsicle sticks, or vine balls. Or a plastic ball to play with (give it a good wash with disinfectant first, rinsing well).

what would you suggest I do to bring it up? It’s not like he has a lack of food available to him... sunflower seeds?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Millet spray, a few sunflower seeds, maybe some formula on a spoon, mashed sweet potato. Maybe try offering his regular seed/pellet from your hand to see if he´ll eat more.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His faeces was full of coloured wood from his toys.
I mis-read this line earlier. I read too quickly and read it as, his poops were coloured. Sorry. I would stick to plastic/acrylic toys for now! Avoid paper, wood, cardboard etc.

has the veterinarian mentioned pica? It is rare in parrots, but still possible.
I thought pica was when birds lick non food items, I didn´t think it was ingesting them.
Pica is a symptom of giardia which can come from the water supply.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nope @zar My jasper had pica and for the last few years of her life could have no toys except hard plastic and rubber squeeze toys. Made me feel so guilty.

Pica (/ˈpaɪkə/ pIE-kuh) is a psychological disorder characterized by an appetite for substances that are largely non-nutritive, such as ice (pagophagia); hair (trichophagia); paper (xylophagia); drywall or paint; sharp objects (acuphagia); metal (metallophagia); stones (lithophagia) or soil (geophagia); glass ( ...

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. Even my tiny lovies are about 44 grams.

Marino

Strolling the yard
I don't think he is eating the toys. I just think a bit is getting in him when playing. Especially when he needs to forage through toys to get to hidden pieces of millet etc.

He is incredibly hyperactive. He probably spends 4 hours or so a day out the cage, and that time is never stationary. It drives me nuts - it mostly consists of laps around the living room, then he'll land, attack my ear and repeat. The vet from yesterday commented on how hyperactive he is. That he is so full of energy, and does eat makes me feel a bit strange about the weight situation.

I've always limited seed consumption for 'special' things. Zara once suggested putting treats in the same place of the cage every time when he returns to the cage to make it easier. Well, it took a while, but now he ONLY gets sunflower seeds upon returning to the cage (he never causes problems with this anymore). I'm going to break that rule for the time being and give him many more. The same applies to millet, which was only ever given as a reward. I'll put some in the cage.

Failing that I don't know what I could do. In the morning he gets a teaspoon of seeds + two teaspoons of pellets. Then he'll get veggies (which he picks at but he plays with it at the very least because it ends up on the floor), then he'll get nutriberries in the afternoon. The food is never removed, and of course he never finishes it all. He's never shown any interest in mashed foods. I really don't want to give him formula on a spoon because we are already harassing him so much with medicine. Speaking of which...

He is to be given:
Calcium
B-Vitamins
Antibiotics
Sucralfate

Twice a day! The calcium 15 mins before the others which amounts to a very irritated bird. I looked online re: the sucralfate and it would seem to suggest its to prevent the absorption of anything bad he has eaten. Thing is, I don't think he has eaten anything bad. Moreover, he seems to be doing fine now. His tail wagging has dramatically reduced. He never does it out the cage when he's busy (which to me suggests it was ONLY itchiness due to a VERY uncomfortable molt... if it were seizures I don't think he'd be able to fly so perfectly, or "turn" them "on" and off as he does). When he loses balance it seems like he is kicking his legs back to try and scratch his rear end. His faeces apart from the wood was clear, so he has no parasites or bacterial infections down there. I think I have been going mad for a bird suffering severe itchiness.

She also commented on the colour of his feather. The ends of the feathers have dark streaks, which she suggested could be due to a genetic disorder. That honestly wouldn't surprise me considering he is the chick of my girlfriend's parents' birds. They bought both of them (plus a cage) at a fairground for only 35 euros 8 years ago. I highly doubt those birds were bred with optimal health in mind, and could likely be related.

But, in the end, I have no idea, and an exotic vet must be far more knowledgeable than me. We'll see how he responds to the meds.

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand not wanting him to be sick, but:

a) My lovies never ingest wood no matter how much they wood-chip.

b) His lack of coordination in the video you showed us is abnormal and seemed involuntary and concerning. I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss it as just itchiness. I’m sure you will keep an eye on him, though.

c) The feather-streaking could be stress. Have you ever noticed it before?

I know it is frustrating to not really have any good answers. :(

Marino

Strolling the yard
I understand not wanting him to be sick, but:

a) My lovies never ingest wood no matter how much they wood-chip.

b) His lack of coordination in the video you showed us is abnormal and seemed involuntary and concerning. I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss it as just itchiness. I’m sure you will keep an eye on him, though.

c) The feather-streaking could be stress. Have you ever noticed it before?

I know it is frustrating to not really have any good answers. :(
Ah ok! God, I do hope this wood eating doesn't become a problem. I want him to have an abundance of things to play with!

I didn't know that feather-streaking could be a sign of stress. It haven't noticed any change in feather colouration though, so I don't know if it is normal for him or not.

I agree the movement seems involuntary and concerning. I have spoken to the vet today and she said it could be due to so many things that the best bet is to give the medicine for a week and check in again on Monday. Which is what I'll do. If it doesn't improve we'll have to get bloods etc done.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a picture of the feathers?
Also, my birds have never pooped wood pieces or anything like that and they are big shredders, even Aldora the Destroyer who will destroy everything and anything even plastic.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Do you have a picture of the feathers?
Also, my birds have never pooped wood pieces or anything like that and they are big shredders, even Aldora the Destroyer who will destroy everything and anything even plastic.
IMG_7101C039AD72-1.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Marino SUCRAFATE (from the beauty of birds site) Sucralfate (Carafate): for upper GI bleeding; given 1 hour before food or other drugs; may cause constipation; acts to form a protective barrier in the GI lining; treats stress ulcerations, esophogitis, duodenal ulcerations, GI ulcerations resulting from NSAID use, GI reflux disease; considered safe with few side effects

Marino

Strolling the yard
@Marino SUCRAFATE (from the beauty of birds site) Sucralfate (Carafate): for upper GI bleeding; given 1 hour before food or other drugs; may cause constipation; acts to form a protective barrier in the GI lining; treats stress ulcerations, esophogitis, duodenal ulcerations, GI ulcerations resulting from NSAID use, GI reflux disease; considered safe with few side effects
thanks for that. She suggested it was to stop further absorption of anything he may have eaten causing problems. Giving the meds is becoming much easier now. We have technique involving a paper towel!

he has lots of streaks across his feathers. They’re tiny but there. I don’t know how problematic they could be. No idea; but in anycase they’ll have been there ever since they first grew in.

he has still been ‘spasming’ today for lack of a better term. Hopefully things will get better over the comingdays. Personality wise he is fine if a bit nippy... but he’s living in a tiny cage with no toys so that’s understandable

Marino

Strolling the yard
An update for the day.

He has been on the meds now for 3 days.

The thrashing about gets better for a bit, then it seems to get worse than before. He certainly hasn't made any progress and he must be exhausted. It's so so horrible to watch.

It's all very strange though. When out of the cage and being stroked it subsides completely. He will happily sit in my girlfriends hands for hours being stroked while she studies. He doesn't exhibit any symptoms at all then.

Very very weird.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Sorry to keep posting here, but it's the only place I can vent.

The vet is advising to continue the therapy proscribed but stop giving the sucrafate.

Marino has started vomiting the medicine in the mornings. This is the only time I have ever seen him vomit and think it is to do with him being given it on an empty stomach. However the vet avers that it is due to infection.

The more I see him the more unlikely I think that idea is. He is fine personality wise. His problem is motor related.

I think its neurological resulting from the issue with the toy.

Does anyone have any idea of prognosis for neurological issues? Can they resolve on their own? I know the vet will likely request further tests for viruses etc when this therapy is done. He has shown zero improvement.

I'd rather pay for scan etc first, and viruses second.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Visited another vet and got another completely different opinion . She believes it is unrelated to the incident and could be due to something he has ingested.

He will remain in a tiny cage for a week so I can better monitor him (and remove him easier for medicine - lucky boy!). His faeces was full of coloured wood from his toys. So I’ll deny him access from his playthings for a week. I’ve been given a tonne of meds. We’ll see how it goes. She also suggested he could just be insanely itchy due to a molt.

Well depends on what type of lovebird cause Fischer are smaller and their weight is around 40-45g but roseicollis is usually 50-60g ( there is always a exception to it... Baylee she is Roseicollis but weights 42,5 g and she is not sick or anything like that at first vet worried but as time went on and she has kept the same weight vet said that is her normal weight. She said that not all birds will have the weight that they are supposed to have. She had told me what to give Baylee to gain weight I tried for 3 weeks and she only got to 43g and vet told me that with the amount that she had suggested she should have gone to 50g. So she compared to the type of people that eat everything they want and don’t get fat well some birds are like that. Vet told me Baylee is like that.

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Sorry to keep posting here, but it's the only place I can vent.

The vet is advising to continue the therapy proscribed but stop giving the sucrafate.

Marino has started vomiting the medicine in the mornings. This is the only time I have ever seen him vomit and think it is to do with him being given it on an empty stomach. However the vet avers that it is due to infection.

The more I see him the more unlikely I think that idea is. He is fine personality wise. His problem is motor related.

I think its neurological resulting from the issue with the toy.

Does anyone have any idea of prognosis for neurological issues? Can they resolve on their own? I know the vet will likely request further tests for viruses etc when this therapy is done. He has shown zero improvement.

I'd rather pay for scan etc first, and viruses second.
Ohhh i didn’t read this before :( what’s his diet? Lack of vitamin A can cause neurological issues too. :( maybe he got mites? sometimes when they are way too much they bother them to the point of not eating. Baylee once had mites and she kept shacking her head I thought it was a seizure And even thought of hmp. it turned out that a mite had entered her ear channel and by shaking it Baylee was trying to get it out. So maybe it’s something like that?
If he is vomiting the meds it’s because it will be better with food.