• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lovebird EMERGENCY

CheeisChee

Moving in
Hello I’m very concerned about my lovebird, viewer’s discretion is advised, u will be seeing a bird’s underfloof, it looks swollen, he has been showing signs of mating and stuff, so far I was sure it was a he but now I am a little unsure, if you go to my tiktok page @plain0xygen there is a video of him doing a mating thing, here is a picture of this underside a few weeks ago and now. Please let me me know what is happening thank you. He has also been showing nesting behaviour.

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@CheeisChee Has your bird been DNA sexed? I'd wager your little man is actually a hen getting ready to lay an egg.

CheeisChee

Moving in
he…she has not been sexed. The breeder said Chee was a male so I always just guessed so, This is my first time seeing him like this in the past 3 years. Here are a few pictures…

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My breeder did a DNA test, but the sample (egg shell) was contaminated. Roughy a year and a half later, surprise! We had a little girl instead. For now, keep a close watch on Chee. Offer baths frequently, or bring her in to the bathroom and steam the room up with a warm shower for a few minutes. The moisture will help loosen up an egg if your bird is struggling.

Tagging @Zara in case she's got some more helpful advice for you.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It really doesn't take much. Sometimes just looking at your bird will make them hormonal.

Zara

❀♡ My birds are responsible for 99% of my typos ♡❀
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your bird does appear to be female. The wings spread and the swollen cloaca. As everyone else said, just keep an eye on her if she needs any help laying an egg at some point in the future. Be sure she´s getting pellets in her diet, and some flight time daily. If you notice she looks weak, lethergic, tired, extra fluffy, vomiting, or generally unwell, take her to the vet. Most eggs are laid without problems, but worth monitoring closely just in case :)

CheeisChee

Moving in
What do u do with the egg now, will she be sad if I Get did of it, I removed it from her cage but would not seeing babies hatch cause her stress, should I still bring her to the vet?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

CheeisChee

Moving in
Should I give her a Cuttle bone, she is reluctant on eating her chop mix now. The egg was laid from the top perch and it fell down, she haven’t looked for it or went down to look at it after. Should I just place the dummy egg on the “floor” bars

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna
What is the rest of her diet like?

CheeisChee

Moving in
I make Chee’s chop with quinoa, broken brown and white rice, broken wheat, coconut shavings, and veggies I have on hand- carrot, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, corn, beetroot and leaves, peppers, chilly peppers and some fruits like apple or/and kiwi, grapes etc. she also gets some of the stuff I eat (bird safe) and some nuts and millet during training. Although she only likes to eat the carrot and corn from her veggies

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna
Pellets was what I was looking for ;) You can offer a cuttlebone or even grate it onto her food if you like. There are better sources of calcium though like pellets, dark leafy greens, almonds, sesame seeds, if she will eat any of those :)

Reactions: tka