• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Eggs: Are they fertile?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone! My lovebirds just layed a clutch of three beautiful eggs! Today is day 20 of incubation, so hatching time should be near!! However, I never got to candle them. The mother (1 year old african lovebird) is not tame, and I didn't want to bother her or the eggs too much. But, I have heard that you can guess by the colour of the shell if the eggs are fertile or not. I attached a pic of them; 2 are more white, and the third egg is more beige-ish. Please help if you know how to tell! Thank you so much!! :)

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.12.33 PM.png

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Says lovebird egg incub is 21 to 23 days.

Don't candle them now as your not supposed to move them the last few days.

Candling is best way but that should be done between 7 & 18 days.

If they were fertile & still viable you'll know in a few days if they hatch.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Today is day 20 of incubation
I haven´t logged on for a day so I´m catching up on threads.
I´m guessing these are the hybrid eggs?
If they were 20 days when you posted, you should already have cheeping in the nest, with at least one hatched possibly two.

I only candle at the 1-1.5 week mark to check for fertility, after that I make the choice to leave my birds to incubate and hatch the eggs.

Someone experienced would be able to see the beak in the air sac in the last 24 hours but if you are not experienced then do not touch the egg, just leave it and wait.

Gigibirds

OH MY GOODNESS AN EGG HATCHED!!!!!!!
Please I need help what can I do to help the mother? The father of these eggs is no longer with us :(, but there is a female(?) lovebird who the mother bonded with and they both sat on the eggs and they hatched this baby together. Does the mom need any special food? plants? do I need to cover the cage (well really it's a small aviary but I will do anything for these lovies)? move food bowls closer to the nest? Please give me all the advice you can!! I want to help these lovebirds in every way possible!!
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.37.46 AM.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Moving the food closer is a good idea (and water too).
Check in on the little ones frequently, if something is wrong, pull them and you take over.
The adults are eating pellets and veggies so should be ok for nutrition.

I know there are people who aviary breed lovebirds, but they can also be nest sabotagers. I´m not sure how they get around that.
My friend has an aviary of lovebirds and when one of the little ones fledged, they were then chased down and killed by the flock out in the aviary.

Maybe reach out to a local lovebird aviary breeder and ask for some tips on safety in an aviary?

Gigibirds

Thank you so much Zara! Are you sure it'll be ok if I check on the baby/babies frequently? I had been checking every day, but I don't want to disturb the baby now that it hatched!! Is once a day good, or should I do more, or what? Also the Mom, her mate/friend and the eggs are the only ones in this aviary, so they should be safe :) But yeah I'll see about asking a local breeder for a tip! Thanks for the advice!! :)