• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird egg hatched!! How can I help the mother??

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone!
ONE OF MY 3 LOVEBIRD EGGS HATCHED!!!!!!!
The mother, Mango, is an african lovebird, and the father was either a young male lovebird who the mother was bonded to before we lost him, or a creamino/lutino lovebird (I thought she was female, but maybe not) whom she was friends with. We lost the male after the first egg was laid, and then the creamino/lutino, Ginger, stepped in and helped Mango sit on the eggs. They bonded really quickly, so for all I know Ginger might be the real father! They live in a little aviary outside together, and they, and now this baby, are the only ones in there. I can start hand-raising the baby as soon as it turns turns ten days old (that's the youngest I have had experience with) if need be, but I just want to help the mama birdie! The two lovebirds took suck good care of the eggs, and now I think that they will want to raise the baby. So what can I do to help? Does the mom need any special food? plants? do I need to cover the cage (well really it's a small aviary but I will do anything for these lovies)? move food bowls closer to the nest? Please give me all the advice you can!! I will really appreciate any tips!! I want to help these lovebirds in every way possible!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.37.46 AM.png

Quote Reply

conureluv

Sprinting down the street

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
I forgot to mention this:
Have you bred before?

Gigibirds

Oh thank you! No, I have never bred before, but I have hand-raised baby lovebirds many times :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can start hand-raising the baby as soon as it turns turns ten days old (that's the youngest I have had experience with) if need be,
What if something goes wrong before then? You will have to step in.

I did reply on your other thread RE the hen;
Moving the food closer is a good idea (and water too).
Check in on the little ones frequently, if something is wrong, pull them and you take over.
The adults are eating pellets and veggies so should be ok for nutrition.

I know there are people who aviary breed lovebirds, but they can also be nest sabotagers. I´m not sure how they get around that.
My friend has an aviary of lovebirds and when one of the little ones fledged, they were then chased down and killed by the flock out in the aviary.

Maybe reach out to a local lovebird aviary breeder and ask for some tips on safety in an aviary?

Gigibirds

Thank you so much Zara! Yes, I guess I will have to step in sooner if something goes wrong, but I'm hoping and praying that nothing does! ;)Are you sure it'll be ok if I check on the baby/babies frequently? I had been checking every day, but I don't want to disturb the baby now that it hatched!! Is once a day good, or should I do more, or what? Also the Mom, her mate/friend and the eggs are the only ones in this aviary, so they should be safe :) But yeah, I'll see about asking a local breeder for a tip! Thanks for the advice!! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the Mom, her mate/friend and the eggs are the only ones in this aviary, so they should be safe :)
Ah I see, that´s great. I thought you may have had more birds in there.