• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird egg dummy issue

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Hello everyone I’m always grateful to ask guidance here & forever thankful! :)

So here is my issue mango ended up laying total of 5 eggs last week. I assumed that I should wait till 24-48 hours to remove it. Well she kept laying more & I snuck in the dummy eggs. I expected her to stop but she keeps continuing to lay more.

It breaks my heart seeing her so dedicated sitting on the dummy eggs :(

Should I wait 20+ days to remove the nest? Or wait for her till she get bored?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wait for her to get bored. She should know that they aren't viable after a time and abandon them. I would not reintroduce the nest at all afterwards. That will only encourage her to lay

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I assumed that I should wait till 24-48 hours to remove it.
As soon as you spot real eggs you can swap them.
The sooner the better. I always get them in the first few days. Sometimes I will leave an egg if she just laid it before bedtime, I will switch it out in the morning as to not stress her.

Should I wait 20+ days to remove the nest? Or wait for her till she get bored?
Wait for her to get bored.
Both.
Really you want her to abandon the nest of her own accord. I find that happens more often than not. HOWEVER, if she is still sitting 21 days after the last egg was laid, you will have to force her to abandon. This means, taking the nest, eggs, all shreddables from her. Rearranging the cage at the same time can really help, and for her own wellbeing, add in a couple of new toys and a foraging activity for her to endulge in. I find that rotating the cage works a charm. If you can´t rotate it, move it a couple of metres or so, so that the view is different.

It is important not to let her sit indefinitely as this can lead to problems iwth blood circulation in the legs, as well as possible malnutrition as well as mobility problems due to lack of exercise.

And as Shawna said above, the nest needs to go, it is just encouraging the problem. Lovebirds enjoy a natural perch up high to sleep on, they don´t need a nest, especially the hens.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
@Mizzely What made me resort into adding the nest seeing her struggle to lay the first egg. I didn’t want her to be egg bound like my other lovebird Lucky. It was horrific seeing her struggle & rushing her to Emergency.

I would take mango to the bathroom for steam bath. As soon as she saw the nest she was able to lay the egg pretty quick.

Really you want her to abandon the nest of her own accord. I find that happens more often than not. HOWEVER, if she is still sitting 21 days after the last egg was laid, you will have to force her to abandon. This means, taking the nest, eggs, all shreddables from her. Rearranging the cage at the same time can really help, and for her own wellbeing, add in a couple of new toys and a foraging activity for her to endulge in. I find that rotating the cage works a charm. If you can´t rotate it, move it a couple of metres or so, so that the view is different.

It is important not to let her sit indefinitely as this can lead to problems iwth blood circulation in the legs, as well as possible malnutrition as well as mobility problems due to lack of exercise.

And as Shawna said above, the nest needs to go, it is just encouraging the problem. Lovebirds enjoy a natural perch up high to sleep on, they don´t need a nest, especially the hens.
That what worries me Mango having no interest at all to leave the cage. I bribe her with millet to get her out of the cage.

thank you both for the great advice