• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Diet

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
Hi everyone, I’ve been doing some reading online about lovebird diets and apparently you are not supposed to feed them a lot of seeds. I’ve had my lovebird mango for less then a year and I occasionally give him veggies and fruits, I also give him pellets but he barely touches them. Do you guys have any tips on how to get him to eat the pellets and more vegetables, also what do you feed your lovebird or bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I had a foster lovie and I used to make him mini pepper cups. I would take a small pepper and hollow it out. Then stuff it with chopped up vegetable, fruit, some pellets and then a few seeds. Often when foraging for seeds they'll try the other stuff too. My lovie loved them and it's a good activity for them too.

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
I had a foster lovie and I used to make him mini pepper cups. I would take a small pepper and hollow it out. Then stuff it with chopped up vegetable, fruit, some pellets and then a few seeds. Often when foraging for seeds they'll try the other stuff too. My lovie loved them and it's a good activity for them too.
That’s a really good idea, I’ve never gave my bird pepper so he will probably like the new food, thanks for the idea!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
There are lots of ways to encourage eating veggies. Birds are flock animals, so often just seeing you, their human, eating something will make them want to try it. If this doesn't work, you can also try giving some veggies first thing in the morning when your bird is most hungry and willing to try something different. As for the pellets, if he is eating the veggies, you can crumble some pellets and mix them in so they stick. You may want to try a few different brands of pellets. My birds all eat Roudybush, but they were weaned onto it. Depending on where you are we can recommend some brands to try. Seeds aren't off limits, it's just they should be offered more sparingly like as a reward. I use sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and millet as a reward when teaching tricks or going back into the cage, into the travel carrier etc.

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
There are lots of ways to encourage eating veggies. Birds are flock animals, so often just seeing you, their human, eating something will make them want to try it. If this doesn't work, you can also try giving some veggies first thing in the morning when your bird is most hungry and willing to try something different. As for the pellets, if he is eating the veggies, you can crumble some pellets and mix them in so they stick. You may want to try a few different brands of pellets. My birds all eat Roudybush, but they were weaned onto it. Depending on where you are we can recommend some brands to try. Seeds aren't off limits, it's just they should be offered more sparingly like as a reward. I use sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and millet as a reward when teaching tricks or going back into the cage, into the travel carrier etc.
My bird will try and eat everything I eat, I’ve tried giving vegetables first when he wakes up but he just waits for seeds, tomorrow I’m gonna be consistent with it and feed the vegetables with pellets for his breakfast. So does your bird only eat pellets and vegetables as his/her main diet, also how much do you feed them. I love in Canada Ontario and I feed my lovebird all living things premium lovebird and conure pellets.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Yes, she eats pellets and veggies, sometimes I buy her freeze dried vegetable chop, though, because she's very picky. Weighing your bird and checking it's keel bone is the best way to know if you're feeding enough. My lovebird is a masked lovebird, which are typically smaller than Fischers or peach faced, and she's 50g. She gets about a tablespoon of pellets a day. If you check the keel bone, it shouldn't feel like it's sharp and protruding (underweight) or like you can't find it (overweight). This gives you a good idea of your particular bird's weight. Here's a chart that is helpful. :)

Screenshot_20200814-144750_Chrome.jpg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Ps we have lots of members and vendors who are in Canada who'd be happy to help guide you to what's available near you. ;) I'm in the US.

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
Yes, she eats pellets and veggies, sometimes I buy her freeze dried vegetable chop, though, because she's very picky. Weighing your bird and checking it's keel bone is the best way to know if you're feeding enough. My lovebird is a masked lovebird, which are typically smaller than Fischers or peach faced, and she's 50g. She gets about a tablespoon of pellets a day. If you check the keel bone, it shouldn't feel like it's sharp and protruding (underweight) or like you can't find it (overweight). This gives you a good idea of your particular bird's weight. Here's a chart that is helpful. :)

View attachment 350071
Thank you this helped a lot! I’m gonna do all of these things you do, I want my bird to live long and eat healthy.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
What I've been doing with my new parrotlet is I put fruits and veggies in his bowl when I get home from work in the morning and after 2 hours I dump it and replace it with his seed and pellet mix. He has a treat stick in his cage so even if he really didn't want the fruits and veggies in his bowl he would still have something to munch on. I'm having pretty good success with doing it this way. I've only had him since Sunday and he's already trying the fruits and veggies.
Also, like someone else said - sometimes all it takes is them watching you eat something for them to be willing to try it. My 2 macaws are both picky, but they always want whatever i'm eating regardless of what it is. My Hahn's is a little weirdo and likes eating from a spoon :laugh:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge