• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird cage size?

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Hi guys :) I'm currently in the process of researching for my future bird (most likely in the summer/fall) and I wanted to see what you lovebird-owners would recommend in terms of cage size for a single lovebird. A lot of online sources recommend cage sizes that seem really tiny to me, but maybe I'm wrong. The bird would be spending quite a bit of time outside of the cage on a java wood perch or just hanging out around the house. Also, is it a bad idea to get a single lovebird? I've heard that it can be good and it can be really bad.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Sam, a good minimum size for a single lovie is 18x30x18. The bigger the better though ;)
As long as the bird has lots of interaction and foraging opportunities they will be ok. It is nice to have a friend though if possible however there is no guarantee they will get along.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
the cage I have for my single lovie is 29x24x38 inches and I think that its the perfect size for a single lovie however when finding bigger cages for little birds it can be difficult to find cages that have small enough bar spacing

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've always found the recommended size to be small as well, but the size mentioned by Zara is fine. A flight or double flight cage is good if you can get it and have the space. My two have a double flight and I find it to be a perfect size for them. They know it's their space, but there is plenty of room for them to escape from each other if they're getting on nerves. I also don't have to feel so bad if I have to leave them locked in there for several hours.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I'd say the bigger (you can afford) the better. With of couse keeping that bar space in mind, like Maddie said.
And a pair is always better then one (in my opinion).

Living in captivity is never as good for them as living in the wild. So we want to make the best of it. In the wild they have all the space in the world, so you want them to have space to fly and play, chill and eat.
In the wild they are also never alone. So having two (a bonded pair) is ideal. 6 is even better, but we can't all have what Zara has ;)

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
the cage I have for my single lovie is 29x24x38 inches and I think that its the perfect size for a single lovie however when finding bigger cages for little birds it can be difficult to find cages that have small enough bar spacing
How big is too big in terms of bar spacing?

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
I've always found the recommended size to be small as well, but the size mentioned by Zara is fine. A flight or double flight cage is good if you can get it and have the space. My two have a double flight and I find it to be a perfect size for them. They know it's their space, but there is plenty of room for them to escape from each other if they're getting on nerves. I also don't have to feel so bad if I have to leave them locked in there for several hours.
I currently have an extra unused flight cage that’s pretty big, I’m just a bit worried as the bar spacing size might be too big.

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
I'd say the bigger (you can afford) the better. With of couse keeping that bar space in mind, like Maddie said.
And a pair is always better then one (in my opinion).

Living in captivity is never as good for them as living in the wild. So we want to make the best of it. In the wild they have all the space in the world, so you want them to have space to fly and play, chill and eat.
In the wild they are also never alone. So having two (a bonded pair) is ideal. 6 is even better, but we can't all have what Zara has ;)
Ok, thank you :) I have seen online that having two lovebirds makes them not want to interact with people. Is that not actually true?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How big is too big in terms of bar spacing?
Look for 1cm or 1.1

I have seen online that having two lovebirds makes them not want to interact with people. Is that not actually true?
I have 5 or my 6 that don’t leave me alone when they wanna play, but they love flying together a little more.
It is easier if you obtain the birds young or adopt from a shelter where you can interact before you commit.
Here is my eldest, his girlfriend was on my shoulder while I filmed this :)

I currently have an extra unused flight cage that’s pretty big, I’m just a bit worried as the bar spacing size might be too big.
What is the spacing?

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Look for 1cm or 1.1

I have 5 or my 6 that don’t leave me alone when they wanna play, but they love flying together a little more.
It is easier if you obtain the birds young or adopt from a shelter where you can interact before you commit.

What is the spacing?
I just checked, the spacing is 1 cm which is perfect! It’s big enough to house my Conure with plenty of extra room, so it’s more than big enough for a lovebird or two. I’ll definitely consider getting more than one then, I’ll just meet them and see what seems right.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you decide to bring home a second bird be sure to do your research and quarantine the best you can.

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
If you decide to bring home a second bird be sure to do your research and quarantine the best you can.
I definitely will, there wouldn’t be any new birds for at least a few months.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Very true. It’s easiest if you can find a pair that are already friends or bonded. If they are not bonded but just (good) friends it’s wise to keep them in separate cages. They are temperamental birds and like humans they need their space from time to time.
Going to a shelter and meeting them is really ideal! Let the bird choose you!