• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird breeding do I have a pair or not

shemar

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mel
Hi so I got a pair of lovebirds from pet store I used to go to all the time good friend well anyways I got male and female I DNA tested one the yellow was confirmed he's a male but the female I didn't DNA but was told she is now I'm not sure cause I see she's cleaning him kissing him but she trys to feed him and he runs away hiding and sometime I see she kicks him out the nest and when he doesn't let her feed him she bites his toes but after that they sitting outside kissing and cuddling but he never ever trys to feed he and today I seen that she try feeding him and he ran into nest the stuck his head out and she feed him and he ate and then started to cuddle and kiss now I'm not sure if she's a female or not but I would like to know your thought I'm planing to breed them so thank you let me know what u think .

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi and welcome
I love lovebirds pictures do you have any pictures?
Do you know how old they are ?
how long have you had them ?
Do you have a set up of their cage ?

@Zara will be able to help better than me

I have four birds two who are bonded I do not know their sexes though they do everything to together eat sleep always by each other side

my other two confuse me but are in separate cages they aren’t bonded so I am still learning lovebirds behaviours

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds and other parrots can form same-sex couples. These couples will preen each other, feed each other, snuggle, mate with each other and seek out nests, but won't produce fertile eggs. However, sometimes a male and female couple will have fertility problems and won't produce fertile eggs. Therefore, you don't know whether you have a male and a female or whether you have two males. The best way to tell is to get a DNA test for the second bird.

I would question the ethics of breeding pet shop birds. Unfortunately many birds destined for pet shops are bred in poor conditions from unhealthy and/or related stock; the aim is to sell birds to the shop, and there's very little by way of follow-up. These breeders wouldn't know whether the birds that they breed live for 5 months or 15 years. There's just no way of knowing once the birds have left the breeding operation.

You have no history on these birds and don't know how healthy their parents and siblings are. Their may be a history of things like heart or kidney disease, aggression and various other undesirable issues lurking in there. Good, ethical breeders keep careful track of the birds they breed and won't breed from birds with known health issues or with a family history of health problems. If you're interested in breeding, I would encourage you to join a parrot club or society and seek out a mentor. They can give you valuable advice on selecting your pairs and offer essential guidance in anticipating and preparing for problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

shemar

Real Name
Mel
Thank you guys for letting me know I will get the test sent in tomorrow should take about 2 days I will let you know the results. Today I was going to separate them cause I seen the male had a big cut on his face not to big but I used to have alot of breeding pairs and not once did the female act like that but my females were always picking ofln the males but not like this so I'm kinda worried not sure if I should split them up or not let me know what you think .

shemar

Real Name
Mel
There about 2 years old I think the male might be a month or so younger as so I was told from the pet store but he told me If I want he could switch them but I had them for a bit and they seem to be bonded expect when she's trying to feed him and he runs aways and then she attacks him not sure on how her behaviors like this I had them for about 6 months almost 7

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
DNA testing the second bird is definitely the best way to know what i going on here.

Seeing the photo, that´s a strange pair to breed. What mutations are you hoping for? Have you checked them out using the calculator? Most breeders would breed opalines with other opalines.

shemar

Real Name
Mel
I was told that she's opalines that they both are I have been buying from him for many years but if you think he's wrong what mutations do you think it is ? Cause he would switch me out one but I will ask him again just to be sure and can you tell me what you think cause I would mostly want the same color babies as the male

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your birds are beautiful! Hopefully the DNA results come in soon.

shemar

Real Name
Mel
DNA came in and it was a female but she kept attacking the male he was bleeding and scared to go back in the nest so I got him a new female hopefully waiting for that DNA and I still have her I'm going to get her a male that she's not going to try and kill . Wish me luck and thank you for the link .

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
DNA came in and it was a female but she kept attacking the male he was bleeding and scared to go back in the nest so I got him a new female hopefully waiting for that DNA and I still have her I'm going to get her a male that she's not going to try and kill . Wish me luck and thank you for the link .
Keep a very close eye on the pair with the female who's been attacking the male.

Is the male ok?