• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent lovebird bleeding a lot but now stabilized

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
Hello guys. I've just created this account because im really desperate for answers as I dont know what to do, today I went over to see my lovebird thats 2yo, raised by my family, and i noticed blood on the bottom of the cage and he was bleeding a lot from the tail part, I then applied a saline solution with a sterelized gauze which seemed to stop the bleeding but the area around it is still pretty ugly with all the blood around, im wondering if i should leave it as it is now or if i should do anything about it, he seems to try and reach there with his beak but i just stop him in fear of him getting the wound bleeding again..
Pictures below that i took a few minutes ago

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby - it looks like he has broken some tail feathers. Do you have any idea how, .so you can prevent it from happening again. Looks like he needs a couple of the stubs pulled so they don't start bleeding again or get infected. Do you know how to do that? If not take him to a vet.

FYI the best thing to use at home to stop bleeding is to press flour or corn starch on the wound. Some people say to use cayenne pepper, but my vet is very against using cayenne.

Let us know how he does and welcome to AA.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Is there a chance that the bird could be a girl? If so she may have laid egg. Check the cage, dishes even outside of the cage. My best advice is see avian vet.

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
Poor baby - it looks like he has broken some tail feathers. Do you have any idea how, .so you can prevent it from happening again. Looks like he needs a couple of the stubs pulled so they don't start bleeding again or get infected. Do you know how to do that? If not take him to a vet.

FYI the best thing to use at home to stop bleeding is to press flour or corn starch on the wound. Some people say to use cayenne pepper, but my vet is very against using cayenne.

Let us know how he does and welcome to AA.
I might have some idea on how it happened i know we're not supposed to but my brother throws into his a piece of paper roll because he likes to hump it and we thought it was that he could be humping it too hard causing him to break the feathers so we removed it but this time around it seems like it doesnt have to do with it ,I do not know how to remove the stubs, something like this happened in the past but we sprayed the wound with some repellant to make him stop plucking the area and it did the job, but now a few months later it seems to be back

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
Is there a chance that the bird could be a girl? If so she may have laid egg. Check the cage, dishes even outside of the cage. My best advice is see avian vet.
We cleaned his cage and payed attention to everything and looked for eggs but there were no eggs,

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did you press flour or cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding?

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
Did you press flour or cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding?
I do not have cornstarch at the moment, and my mom was hesitant to use flour as she thought it'd make it worse so we just went with a regular saline solution and pressing with a sterelized gauze till it stopped, and I think it did the trick, because we kept a close eye on him for like 5 hours and it didnt bleed anymore. Can you give any tips on how to apply the flour? like the quantity and how to apply it on the wound

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
I'm very messy with it, just pile some on and press with your fingers for about a minute. You have to really pack it on there to make bleeding stop.
And are you not scared of hurting the bird or making the wound worse, and how do you make him stay still and chill for you to apply it?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I put a towel over my hand, catch the bird and wrap it in the towel like a birdie burrito. Only uncover the part with the wound, making sure the towel is between me and the beak.

No I am not scared of hurting my birds. I have handled them a lot. If it is a fairly minor wound you will not make it worse. If it is a big wound I would go to the vet. But I'd probably still at least try to do the flour trick, so that it would not bleed on the way to the vet. Birds have very little blood inside them so stopping the bleeding is crucial.

You can do the same on a bleeding toenail. press flour on, hold it, maybe have to do again and again.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is only a guess. It looks like your bird is barbering his tail feathers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz Can you take a look at this bird's tail. It does look like he may have been biting his tail fethers off.

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
@Macawnutz Can you take a look at this bird's tail. It does look like he may have been biting his tail fethers off.
Tbh, he is one spoiled birb, cuz he's always kissing us and he's out of the cage for the majority of the time and always wants to play, but sometimes during the weekend he stays inside for the majority of the day, could it be that he's doing that because he wants attention, we also tried calling a vet, and the lady there said that 90% it was just stress

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I spotted three and one more possible. The reason i say he may be biting them off is that the feathers broken off or not anywhere near each other.

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
I don't see evidence of chewing. I see at least two maybe three broken tail feathers.
Can you give me some advice and tips on what I should do? He's currently asleep because it's 1:23am and I don't wanna wake him up, I've been checking up every few minutes and there's no blood anywhere and he's just really sleepy

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Let him sleep if they are not bleeding.

I spotted three and one more possible. The reason i say he may be biting them off is that the feathers broken off or not anywhere near each other.

But being an isolated issue I would assume injury. Where are the feathers? No one knows what happened?

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio

But being an isolated issue I would assume injury. Where are the feathers? No one knows what happened?
I think all my birbs are changing feathers which leaves their cages full of small and big feathers, and since we cleaned it right after the flood incident, we didn't see if the feathers he took out were there. We still don't know what happened because like, he had tiny bleeding 2 days ago, and he took a shower and bleeding came off so we thought we were cool, but today, I took him out for a while and everything was fine after putting him back, I went to get him again after 15m and that when I noticed drops of blood on the bottom of the cage, which makes it even weirder thinking he did that in such short time and for what reason

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should consider taking him to the vet. He could be picking at the area and breaking the blood feathers. Having a vet check might give you an idea of what is going on/why this is happening.

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio

Also, i've checked where the vets are and they're a few hours away by car, and I dont have any way of getting there, i did call those vets, and they said what I should disinfect the wound, but he didnt say what i should use, you got any ideas?