• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent lovebird bleeding a lot but now stabilized

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Fabito I don't know if you live in the USA, But here are some things you can use to disinfect; Triple Antibiotic salve (very little, Vetericin VF (I have seen it at Walmart and Tractor Supply), SSD salve. Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide or Alcohol both have a tendency to burn the skin and flesh. Just keep in mind that if any of the wounds get infected, you will have to see a vet to get antibiotics for him.

Is this bird in his own cage or is he caged with other birds?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did the bleeding stop?

If you are not sure how your bird broke the feathers, you could try lowering the perches and toys in the cage. When one of my lovebirds was young he fell from a perch whilst sleeping and broke a feather.

It´s also an idea to take a photograph every week to monitor the feather growth, if you notice the tail getting thinner (less feathers) then see if a friend or family member can make the trip to the vet with you.
Maybe have a plan ready now of who could take you to the vet just incase your bird bleeds and you can´t stop it or if you notice an infection (or for any other emergency in general).

i know we're not supposed to but my brother throws into his a piece of paper roll because he likes to hump it
This is not a bad thing to allow your bird to do this (as long as he lives alone in his cage). It will release tension and stress for him. One of my birds has a cotton boing he likes, another has a small soft toy (teddybear with no loose parts, threads or fur).

I hope your bird heals soon ❤

Fabito

Moving in
Real Name
Fabio
@Fabito I don't know if you live in the USA, But here are some things you can use to disinfect; Triple Antibiotic salve (very little, Vetericin VF (I have seen it at Walmart and Tractor Supply), SSD salve. Do not use Hydrogen Peroxide or Alcohol both have a tendency to burn the skin and flesh. Just keep in mind that if any of the wounds get infected, you will have to see a vet to get antibiotics for him.

Is this bird in his own cage or is he caged with other birds?

I'm actually from Portugal
All the birds are in separate cages
I'm super grateful to everyone for the help and tips