• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird bathing practices

Norm Ustitz

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello all
Our 4 year-old Inky has what would be considered a strange bathing pattern.
He tends to want to bathe in items that have a small circumference and where he'll barely fit; his favorite place is the top of a water-serving jug that has a thick plastic ridge along the middle so that you can lift the top of with 2 fingers. The bathing space is very small, and it only lets him bathe his neck and underbelly. If we set up other tuperware tops or flat tops of things filled with water, he will only bathe in there just enough to wet his neck, sides of neck, and tail feathers.

No, you can't believe everything in Instagram, but I'm amazed at lots of videos of other birds of all species rolling under a kitchen faucet, for example. Or walking back and forth under the shower stream of a kitchen faucet. Were those birds taught to do that at a young age? Why is our so afraid of water? Actually, why is ours so afraid of just about everything in our house??
He behaves as though we have owls, cats, and hawks in the house. We let him fly, pet him, and show him affection, but yet he's hesitant with water and many other things.

Thanks for listening

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't really give much opinion on it because I have had multiple birds except with my first, and he enjoyed bathing.

Have you tried the sink though? Because it is a fave for many lovebirds. Turn the tap on only slightly so it is not noisy or gushing with lots of water. Just on enough so it trickles out. If he is frightened or cautious, hold your hands cupped, see if he'd like to bathe in your hands - another fave around here.
Another popular one is a plastic plate with water in, and I will flicker the water with one finger to make it ripple.
Some of my birds prefer when my hand/arm is nearby for quick exits from the water, so I will put my hand down flat on the draining board near the water. Some like to stand on my hand and lean over the plate or wherever the water is and lean into the water but remain stood on my hand.

I found with my birds it is like the yawning effect - one bathes, they all want to bathe. So you will have to be patient with having just one bird. Try as many different ways you can think of and offer frequently. Even if he doesn't bathe in that way that day, he might another.

Norm Ustitz

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I can't really give much opinion on it because I have had multiple birds except with my first, and he enjoyed bathing.

Have you tried the sink though? Because it is a fave for many lovebirds. Turn the tap on only slightly so it is not noisy or gushing with lots of water. Just on enough so it trickles out. If he is frightened or cautious, hold your hands cupped, see if he'd like to bathe in your hands - another fave around here.
Another popular one is a plastic plate with water in, and I will flicker the water with one finger to make it ripple.
Some of my birds prefer when my hand/arm is nearby for quick exits from the water, so I will put my hand down flat on the draining board near the water. Some like to stand on my hand and lean over the plate or wherever the water is and lean into the water but remain stood on my hand.

I found with my birds it is like the yawning effect - one bathes, they all want to bathe. So you will have to be patient with having just one bird. Try as many different ways you can think of and offer frequently. Even if he doesn't bathe in that way that day, he might another.
thanks Zara
A plastic plate or container top works like a charm usually, and just by splashing or tapping our fingers, he will come. But he only dips his neck, shoulders, and tail. Why do other birds walk under a stream like they're in a spa??

I've concluded after reading your reply, that if we had more than 1 bird, he would act differently and be friendlier, perhaps. He just always flies or walks around as though our house is full of predators. But, alas, he is the only animal in the house, so that innate fear should have disappear (rhyme).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But he only dips his neck, shoulders, and tail. Why do other birds walk under a stream like they're in a spa??
Ah I see what you mean. Not all of my birds will do that, I also have some who bathe in a bowl like your bird. They will flick enough water up in the air to get wet all over though so it's fine :)
@fluffypoptarts how do your guys bathe?

I've concluded after reading your reply, that if we had more than 1 bird, he would act differently and be friendlier, perhaps. He just always flies or walks around as though our house is full of predators. But, alas, he is the only animal in the house, so that innate fear should have disappear (rhyme).
Impossible to predict. Maybe, but maybe not. If you got a second bird and he didn't like them, it could make it worse. Only add more birds if you want to for yourself.
I had one bird and wanted to find him a friend.... I ended up with a flock of 6 before he got his friend :shrug:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara I have a couple that will get right under the stream, a couple that just want their head and shoulders wet, and one that will only bathe in a water bowl, lol.