• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird babies 6 weeks old

SassyGirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone. I was hoping to seek advice on a pair of lovebirds and their 2 babies. The adult pair came to me with little info and was already in the egg laying process. They hatched 2 of the 5 eggs that were layed. I have prepared in the best ways possible (even if mom & dad didn't do well) and so far the babies are doing great as well as mom & dad. My question is now that babies are beginning to spend time out of the nesting box and explore, even eat a bit on their own at what point do I remove them from mom & dad? Based on what I've read they are fully weaned around 8 weeks. I was planning to DNA test for gender only to know what gender we are dealing with for care & housing. I have no intentions of breeding further just caring for what was already happening. Up to this point I have let mom & dad take care of everything & I've monitored, cleaned and provided food, etc. I have also been taking babies out daily briefly to handle and hopefully have them be used to being handled. It is obvious mom & dad have never or were rarely handled so I was hoping to change that a bit for these 2, but ultimately want all of them to be cared for and happy. So timing is what I am looking for here as I assume at some point they would need to be housed in their own spaces. Thank you for any advice and although I am new to birds as well as this forum I have to say thank you all so much for the time & effort that has gone into the resources available. Please forgive me if I have overlooked this type of question being answered before.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Once the little ones are eating on their own all the time (not fed by the parents at all) for a good week or two, then you can move them to a separate cage.
(Just keep en eye out in case mum and dad try pushing them out of the cage, this usually is pecking, plucking or chasing. If that happens, remove them.)

You can still allow them shared out of cage time during the day and hopefully they will stay quite tight like a flock. I have a pair who are now almost 3 years old, they still are very close to their parents, flying together, watching each other, I have their cages pressed right up together :)

You may find investing in a set or tow of dummy eggs will be a great help. Buy one set per hen, so one for now for mum. And when you get the DNA results on the youngsters back, pick up a set per girl you have.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:needpics:

SassyGirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Once the little ones are eating on their own all the time (not fed by the parents at all) for a good week or two, then you can move them to a separate cage.
(Just keep en eye out in case mum and dad try pushing them out of the cage, this usually is pecking, plucking or chasing. If that happens, remove them.)

You can still allow them shared out of cage time during the day and hopefully they will stay quite tight like a flock. I have a pair who are now almost 3 years old, they still are very close to their parents, flying together, watching each other, I have their cages pressed right up together :)

You may find investing in a set or tow of dummy eggs will be a great help. Buy one set per hen, so one for now for mum. And when you get the DNA results on the youngsters back, pick up a set per girl you have.
Thank you so much Zara! I am fortunate to be working from home and I can see & hear them all day so I have been watching them like crazy for those exact reasons. They have been such a joy to watch grow & now beginning to explore! You're advice is very helpful in my thought process. Thank you again!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yes - don't remove them until they are completely weaned (not eating anything more from the parents)....Also, it can take a surprising amount of work to tame parent-raised babies, so I would recommend handling them even more if you want them to stay ok with being handled. Congratulations on the babies though! And I agree with Mr. Mango.....We would love to see them! :D