• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebird and green cheek conure preening each others bodys

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
so i know petting your bird on its body can sexually stimulate them, so i am worried about my birds. they recently started preening each others bodys, like under the wings and on their backs. i know my lovebird is male, and my conure is unknown. if my conure is female, do you think she will be at risk for laying eggs? and how to i prevent them from getting "too" close? (if you know what i mean:laughing2:) i know that can't actually reproduce, but i don't want them to get frustrated and hormonal.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If your conure is a female, she will most likely lay eggs at some point whether there is another bird around her or not. It is a normal part of having a female bird. They may very well form a strong bond with each other, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Also, their genders do not matter in whether they bond or not. Preening is a form of bonding.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
thank you! i am glad they are bonding! i just didn’t want them to become frustrated. good to know there is nothing to worry about.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i am going to add onto this thread again... my lovebird has started getting on top of my conure. no cloaca contact, but i think he might try to in the future. should i prevent them from doing this or is it ok?