• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird And Cockatiel

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
I have a 7 year old male peach faced lovebird. His name is Pippin. He is so adorable! Anyway, I want to get him a buddy. And I want another bird. I want any of these 2 breeds, Cockatiel, or Lovebird. But I think it would be very interesting to get a cockatiel. Would it be okay if I got a baby cockatiel for Pippin to have a friend with? What if they fight? Please help me with this. What should I do?

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
I've seen all types of birds get along but you have to keep in mind some birds just might not click, which means separation and another cage for the new bird, and heaps of patience.
I'm excited to see which direction you choose. :D

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the help! Yes, I have a big cage for my lovie right now. I have 2 extra bird cages. Pippin is a very tame bird, and whenever he hears a bird tweet, or something like a tweet, he starts chirping a lot. He seems thrilled about other birds. Thanks again!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Just be realistic that there are no guarantees that pippin will accept another bird. He might be quite content with things the way they are. You could be upsetting his environment by added another bird. I don’t want to be a debbie downer, but there is much to consider.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You would never be able to house a lovebird and a tiel together.
They would have to be watched closely whilst allwed out to fly.
It is not uncommon for lovrbirds to take toes off budgies and tiels.
IMO you would be better getting a second lovebird. Again, like @MauiWendy said, there is no guarantee the birds will get on.
I bought a second lovebird, they didn´t get on. But I have seen it work both ways and I think it is just down to pot luck.

Good luck expanding your family :)

Reactions: tka

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As others said, you would have to closely supervise. Although smaller, lovies are much more aggressive than cockatiels. And I know a woman whose lovie almost bit her cockatiel's toe completely off when the tiel was in his cage- the lovie bit through the bars. I think I would get a second love bird instead.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
You just never know. I got a lovebird (for my lovebird) and they are still in separate cages now months later. They fought like crazy when first introduced but now get along really well until they are in a confined space with food involved....although they managed to share treats a few times peacefully. My point is do not assume that birds will get along by default (even same breed) but do not get discouraged either if they do not get along initially.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the help everyone! So, this is basically a tie. XD Zara, I agree it is just luck. Although I have seen many videos of lovebirds and cockatiels together as friends. So what were I to do if they did fight? Thanks again! :)

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I think is very nice of you to want a companion for your bird. I'm planning on having a second lovebird in the future as well.

Although I have no experience I have read and still reading a lot about it. And if there is anything I can tell you it is that you should take your time, do your homework and expect that the situation will be that they do not get along. But just screaming at one another, having someone in there life who is the same species, speak the same language. Keep your expectations very low because it is likely it will turn out that way. And if you still find that the worst case is an upgrade from the situation you have right now, I think you're good to go.
Love to see what you'll decide on!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm bringing home a conure friend for my lovebird soon, and as others have said it truly depends on the birds themselves, they all have their own personalities. What goes well with a lovebird I'd probably say none! Although it seems that males tend to be more chill than females, a girl at the parrot shop here has 6 males while her mom has an assortment. My plan is to make sure to follow all the instructions for introducing a new bird and then doing trick training with them together. My (female) lovebird is very bonded to me and I expect jealousy.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Same here, Within 1 month of having Pippin he become very bonded to me. Whenever I walk into the room he starts tweeting and climbing on his cage wall longing to get out to me.:heart: And I bring him out plenty longer then the previous owners. I will still do research and think about getting another lovebird. Anyone know the normal price range for lovies?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Pippin is really cute! He looks like a sweet boy. My lovebird is a bossy girl. I'm in Ohio, they're about $150 here.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
If you do research, you will find: Cockatiels are commonly bullied by other species and lovebirds are commonly aggressive toward other species. Lovebirds are even known to bite off toes of other birds through cage bars. What this means is there is a high likelihood that the two birds will not be able to have out-of-cage playtime together or even be in the same room together, which means you must consider: Do you have the space to house these birds in separate rooms if needed? If not, you should hold off on getting a 'tiel and stick with the same species instead.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What breeds are good with Lovebirds?
Lovebirds would be #1... but even at that, like I said, it is down to luck if they get on or not.
If you are planning on a second lovebird regardless of if you get the Tiel or not, then I recommend the lovebird first. If they don´t get on and have to be housed separate, it may deter you from wanting to expand the family more... or they may bond and you will fall in love and be content with just the two birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Same here, Within 1 month of having Pippin he become very bonded to me. Whenever I walk into the room he starts tweeting and climbing on his cage wall longing to get out to me.:heart: And I bring him out plenty longer then the previous owners. I will still do research and think about getting another lovebird. Anyone know the normal price range for lovies?
I think price depends on the area you live in. You can also check local rescues. :)

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I think it is wise to think about what you are going to do when they do not get along. In the area where I live I see a lot of advertisements from people who sell their bird because they wanted a second lovebird but they didn't get along.

Please adopt, don't shop! :heart:

If you decide on getting a second lovebird, don't forget the DNA check to determine the sex.

Last edited: