• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird and Cockatiel?

ssteele1231

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sophia
Hi! I'm pretty new here, and I wanted to ask a question, that I hadn't seen an answer to. (If someone already asked a question like this, then I apologize.) I am going to get a hand tame, young lovebird soon, and I am interested in a hand tame cockatiel as a buddy. I have heard that they can get along, and they cannot, so I wanted to hear the responses from others. If I am careful in introducing the two, and they seem to be getting along, would it be possible for them to share a cage in the future? (I have a cage that is about 3 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet deep.) I intend to take them out and play with them as much as I can (2-3 hours a day or more), but I wanted to have two birds so they can keep each other company when I am not at home.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
They can keep each other company - but - I would never let them share a cage. I have 5 cockatiels, 2 budgies and a lovebird. And - I will only allow tiels to share a cage. My 5 do not all get along. They are separated into 3 cages. My lovebird , a female can be very territorial. She is in a cage by herself but next to the budgies. They do like being next to each other. And Welcome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Even though smaller, lovies can actually bully tiels. I don't think I would ever let them share a cage. A woman on another forum I used to belong to actually had her lovie almost bite her tiel's toe completely off. You just have to be careful. (And welcome to the forum!)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lovebirds do not mix will with other species. As stated they are very territorial and just like a GCC they want to be the boss in the flock. If it were me I would not get both species in the same household.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I've got a pretty chill lovie hen who got along well with an English budgie at some point - but they're still simply not made to be in the same cage.

It would be even harder to gauge how well either of these birds would react to another species without having taken the time to properly get to know them and their tendencies, if you're thinking of getting them both within a short period of time.

If you do, I would agree with the others and say absolutely do not house them together. In addition, ensure you can house them in separate rooms permanently, if need be. Lovebirds are obstinate about being aggressive to certain things so if they really don't get along off the bat, I don't think you'll have much luck in the long run.