• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird and Cockatiel Tips

Codyyjohns

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cody
Hi,

I currently have a 7 year old cockatiel. I’ve had him since he was a hatchling and he’s very seeet and affectionate and loves to be out of the cage and near me.

I’ve been considering adding a lovebird to my home. (Separate cage of course) but according to my research they can be aggressive towards other birds. I’ve also read they need a lot of attention.

My worry is the lovebird being jealous of anytime I spend with my cockatiel and me being forced to give the lovebird extra attention while not being able to do so as much with my cockatiel. I’d also love to have the possibility of supervised playtime together or maybe take them both out at the same time with me but I’m worried this may not be a possibility. Tips?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

There's lots of knowledgeable people here that I'm sure can offer some advice!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Cody! 1.welcome signs.gif

I’ve also read they need a lot of attention.
Yes they will. Same like budgies, they really do thrive on interaction, and a single bird will need a lot more attention than a bird that has a buddy/mate.

My worry is the lovebird being jealous of anytime I spend with my cockatiel
It´s possible. You will just have to work out a fair way to split your time amongst your birds, and give each bird what they need.

I’d also love to have the possibility of supervised playtime together or maybe take them both out at the same time with me but I’m worried this may not be a possibility.
It´s certainly a possibility. Under close supervision, you would be able to intervene should any fights break out, but there´s no reason why in a nice spaceous room, they can´t both enjoy some out of cage time together. You may run into problems if both birds want to be on you and one or neither want to share. It´s only the same as the way I have separate flight times for different birds in my house. If you fnid they are just chasing each other around then you would have to stop letting them out together.

After quarantining the new bird and receiving negative test results from your vet, move the lovebird into the room where your cockatiel is, and have the two cages in the same room but away from each other. Allow them to slowly adjust to hearing each other and being near each other. Slowly move the cages a little closer until eventually you have them positioned where you want them, I think having some sort of space between them would be a good idea.
When allowing each bird out of their cage to fly alone, don´t let them perch on the other cage.
Once a while has passed, allow them out together under very close supervision and see how things go. Be sure you have lots of places to perch and no hidey hole spots to hog, defend and fight over.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Welcome
Lovebirds are awesome birds so clever

u will have to quarantine ur new bird first away from ur other bird which will give u time to bond with ur lovebird and always ur cockatiel will also get used to sound of the lovebird u will probably find ur cockatiel will be more jealous at first as ur their person
I don’t know how cockatiels n lovebirds mix I only know from experience of adding another lovebird to my lovebird they have separate cages and I would tolerate each other in out of cage time indie as asked a few times to preen him but pico not got a clue been too long an only bird I think they have odd argument but one flys off use to be indie but it’s more pico now that flys off wherever indie is

would out of cage time be ok for u if u had to get them both out separately?

Once quarantine finished they can be in same room and get use to each other in cages then u could try one out one in cage see how the react through bars also a netrual room is a good idea for first meeting

Codyyjohns

Real Name
Cody
Hi everyone,

thanks for your replies! Very helpful information here.

i house my cockatiel in a double tall critter nation (see picture). he doesn’t really use the bottom part so I’ve been considering separating it into two cages and housing the lovebird on the bottom (it’s still off the ground) or maybe moving petey to the bittom since he is so chill. this way they could hear each other but not really see each other unless I have one of them out of the cage.

all of this would of course be after quarantine :) You can also see a little bit of Petey’s little play area to the right of the cage that he would now be sharing.

i think it’s worth mentioning that I dont have any doubts that Petey would be super chill with a new addition and even sharing his time and toys, but Im just trying to avoid never being able to let petey out without lovebird screaming at me at the top of his lungs lol!

let me know if you think this cage setup and bird addition is a good idea. Otherwise, I’ll leave it all to Mr. Petey so he can enjoy the rest of his little life with his favorite dad :p

Another option would be 2-3 male budgies in the bottom cage. I really love to potential cuddly aspect of lovebirds but I do also work 40 hours a week and I was wondering if you think the lovebird will just be loud and call all day when I’m nit home... or maybe even in separate cages petey would keep him company?

I do live in an apartment in LA and I already have 16 fish, a cat, a cockatiel, an African fat tail gecko and a crestie gecko so I want to make sure I don’t add anything that my neighbors might hate!

thanks again for your advice :)

Attachments

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Personally, I recommend NOT doing it. I brought in a beautiful Cockatiel years ago and I rehomed her not shortly after. I have a good number of Lovebirds, and at that time also had 6 English Budgies. The Cockatiel was such a sweet bird and just never fit in with my birds. I'm always there and watching when my birds are out, and if my Lovebirds start fighting about something I don't often stop them because that's just them and it's natural to figure out dominance. They're equal in their temperament and unless someone is in a position where they need my help, I stay out of it. Now my observance was that the nature of the Lovebirds was just too aggressive for the cockatiel. She could never really interact with them because it was never fun for her. She didn't have the same fast, aggressive nature that they did and because she was scared around them...she just never fit in. And sadly, with all the birds I have...I just wasn't able to give her the attention that a single bird needs.
I've had birds for 12 years now and my biggest regret is not having just one pair. They really are so special and I wish for each and every one of my birds I could have invested the time in them alone. I say keep things the way they are, or get another cockatiel friend for your bird.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
I would be concerned splitting the cage and housing something in the bottom with a cat around. Even if the cat can't get to them, it would likely he stressful being nearly eye to eye with a prey animal and unable to climb to a more comfortable height.

Codyyjohns

Real Name
Cody
The cat is only allowed in this room when I am home, other than that it belongs to the birds (and fish and geckos) all day. also, anytime the bird is out of the cage the cat is separated and locked out of the room.

I know everyone has an opinion on cats and birds but it has always worked for me as I ensure everyone’s utmost safety and comfortability at all times :)

Thank you so much for the advice on keeping both species. I’ve read that if it’s a single male that would be handfed and very hand tamed by me that it would tend to be less aggressive. Is that not the case? :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve read that if it’s a single male that would be handfed and very hand tamed by me that it would tend to be less aggressive. Is that not the case? :)
The thing is nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to birds. They all have their own personalities. Plus, being less ¨aggressive¨ with humans, doesn´t mean it will be like that with another bird.
My first male was sweet as pie with me, still is, but he did not get along with the second bird, and when the third joined us he would fight with her all the time I ended up having to give completely separate flight times for those two.

You should think about all of the possible outcomes and then decide if this is something you want to persue. Ultimately a lovebird and a cockatiel friendship could hypothetically only go so far. Best case scenario you could possibly allow the same out of cage time, but I would think it´s unlikely they will actually play together. You could end up with a situation like Anfsurfer described above.

If you want a lovebird because you want a lovebird and you have time for both birds, then ok, but if you are bringing home the lovebird for your cockatiel, then I would also suggest a second cockatiel or none.

As for the cage, I think a second bird would prefer a separate cage. The lower level wouldn´t be much fun, as birds like to be higher. Plus, it is nice for birds to see each other from their cages.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d not split the cage. Even if the cockatiel doesn’t use the bottom, the extra space is psychologically good.

I recommend keeping the cat out of that room at all times. It’d be best for everyone including the cat.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
I’ve read that if it’s a single male that would be handfed and very hand tamed by me that it would tend to be less aggressive. Is that not the case?
Our current handfed/tamed male is sweet as can be. One we had previously was extremely aggressive to the point that we couldn't handle him at all. It's a crapshoot

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have the sweetest 14lb Havanese. There's some super sweet large dogs in my neighborhood that want to play with him, but he just freezes up because their playing ends up being too rough for him and he doesn't like it. That was my experience between the Lovebirds and Cockatiel. She didn't want anything to do with them.
I have a friend who runs a bird aviary keeping and breeding many species of birds, and even she doesn't keep the Cockatiels with the Lovebirds. It's been many years since I was there, but if my memory recalls...I believe she kept the Cockatiels with Doves and Bourke Parakeets in the flight cages. Even regular Budgies in numbers can be a handful as they're such busy bodies. Cockatiels are just a more easy going, peaceful type of parrot in my opinion. I'm not saying it couldn't work, i'm just letting you know my personal observation when I tried it. I've never owned a Conure...have you looked into their temperaments? Or have you thought about a Bourke Keet...they're super sweet. Once again, my vote is for another Cockatiel...they really love the company of their own species. Good luck in your decisioin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels really do best with other cockatiels. Lovies can be little terrorists. Seriously. I know a woman who had both and even though she didn't let them out at the same time, her lovie landed on her tiel's cage and managed to almost bite the tiel's toe completely off.

I bird sit a lovebird. I adore him. He is the sweetest thing. He accidentally got out- my fault- while my cockatiel was out and chased him around the room until I managed to separate them. I think the lovie was playing. I think.... but my cockatiel was terrified.

I enjoy lovebirds a lot. But I wouldn't permanently have one with my tiels. Although you can try, I think it would be stressful and potentially not a good situation.

Codyyjohns

Real Name
Cody
thank you all for your advice! I’ve decided to get another cockatiel. What, in your experience, is the better option: housing them together or separately?
they’d both be male, and definitely get out of cage time together if they get along, but I’m worried I’ll lose my bond with one or both of them if I house them together..

thoughts?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thank you all for your advice! I’ve decided to get another cockatiel. What, in your experience, is the better option: housing them together or separately?
they’d both be male, and definitely get out of cage time together if they get along, but I’m worried I’ll lose my bond with one or both of them if I house them together..

thoughts?
Any new bird should be initially housed separately. (And also quarantined. ) After that you should let the birds decide if they want to live together or not. My 2 tiels are buddies but have no desire to share a cage. Some birds want to. Some don't.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

thoughts?
glad you decided on another cockatiel ur bond might change a little bit
it as changed mine and pico a bit since getting indie but both are interested in being with me you will be part of they flock pico actually prefers to be with me over indie but pico is a bit more of a show off since getting indie but not sure if it’s hormonal more than indie being here

house them separately to start with I couldn’t have put indie in pico cage n pico isn’t cage aggressive as pico is still unsure if indie n it’s been two months they have out of cage time together but no where near have a bond to share a cage

good luck with ur new cockatiel will be looking forward to pics of ur new buddy