• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebird age + weaning plan

plum778

Checking out the neighborhood
hi all

i have had my baby peachface for about a week (got him july 25) and was hoping to get some help on his age. so i was told he hatched on july first, meaning i got him at about 3.5 weeks old and he would currently be 4.5 weeks old. however compared to other's lovebird baby progress photos he seems older, and more feathered, also he is already doing short flights, and they normally fly at ~5.5 weeks. I've got some photos attatched with the date they were taken and his "supposed" age so you can see his feathers and how old he looks, to see if he is actually older than I was told he is.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.55.25 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.54.14 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.56.18 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.57.29 pm.png

I'm currently feeding him 3-4 times a day, just when he wants food, and about 4-6ccs per feeding. He eats well and everything which is good. He weighs 49g and isn't increasing or decreasing in weight, however I'm not too worried as research says there can be ~10% weight loss when fledging.

The breeder had said to feed him 2x per day and wean him this week, but since I was told the bird is 4.5 weeks I thought I should feed him more often and not wean him yet. That's why I'm trying to figure out his age, so I know when I should wean him now or in a few weeks.

I am planning to introduce him to millet in a few days, then the next step is to introduce pellets, and leave a small bowl in with him so he can eat it as he pleases, then introduce other foods like fruit and veggies.

He was climbing around his brooder box and seeming restless, and since he can do little flights I put him in a cage with low perches during the day but he sleeps in his brooder box (no heat lamp anymore, but blankets for him tp stay warm) at night

I was wondering what age he most likely is, and whether my weaning plan sounds okay, and what you think I should do from here, whether that's start weaning him now or a bit later.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I suspect they may be a few days older, more closer to 4 weeks.

when he wants food, and about 4-6ccs per feeding. He eats well and everything which is good. He weighs 49g
Perfect :)

He weighs 49g and isn't increasing or decreasing in weight, however I'm not too worried as research says there can be ~10% weight loss when fledging.
He isn´t losing weight, perhaps because he already has? If he is flying now, then he won´t lose more weight.

The breeder had said to feed him 2x per day and wean him this week, but since I was told the bird is 4.5 weeks I thought I should feed him more often and not wean him yet. That's why I'm trying to figure out his age, so I know when I should wean him now or in a few weeks.
Let your bird lead the way on weaning, don´t worry about days or numbers.
Wake up, feed your bird in the morning followed by adult foods right afterwards. Have dried foods in the cage at all times as well as fresh water. Offer some veggies to pick at. Monitor the crop, when you feel it is almost empty, feed your bird again. Be sure to feed him/her before bedtime.
When he starts eating the adult foods, he will then eat less formula. Once you notice him not eating a full feed, you can remove a feed after a few days.
First go down to morning, day, and bedtime. And then go down to late morning and bedtime. And when you go down to one feed, it is always bedtime feed.

I am planning to introduce him to millet in a few days, then the next step is to introduce pellets, and leave a small bowl in with him so he can eat it as he pleases, then introduce other foods like fruit and veggies.
Introduce it now, he´s big enough to be able to eat these things.

He was climbing around his brooder box and seeming restless, and since he can do little flights I put him in a cage with low perches during the day but he sleeps in his brooder box (no heat lamp anymore, but blankets for him tp stay warm) at night
If the box will fit, put it inside the cage on the cage floor to start the transition.

I was wondering what age he most likely is, and whether my weaning plan sounds okay, and what you think I should do from here, whether that's start weaning him now or a bit later.
Everything sounds great :) He could be a few days older, or a week older but not more than two weeks older than what you said.

Here is a link that will offer more tips;

Please do let us know if you are unsure of anything,
Welcome to the Avenue

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Your little guy is sooo cute! What their name? Mine is almost done with his little black beak and I’m going to miss it!! You will get great solid info here!
He was climbing around his brooder box and seeming restless, and since he can do little flights
My Wally was 5.5 weeks when I moved them to the cage. He was restless like yours. I would have moved them 1 week sooner but I had his pair in there at a week younger and she was a runt, a slow grower, and not quite fully feathered. That’s when he started to eat adult foods, take longer flight.

The first 2 pictures is 4.5 weeks. In my profile picture and the last 2 photos, he is 5 weeks. It looks similar to your baby at the 3 week/6 day mark, but mine still had tufts of gray down. They grow SOOO fast at this stage, believe it or not, the top two and bottom two are only 4 days apart!!!! (6/23-6/27) Of course EVERY bird is different, my two had different growth stages, although now Eva is all caught up. Hope this helps and enjoy your baby!!! Can’t wait to watch him grow up!

Attachments