• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird’s toe not functioning

Jo80

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi y’all,
My 3 yo female lovebird has a toe that appears to be non-functional. I don’t know when this started because she never exhibited any stress or pain from her foot. She is as active as ever. Eats whatever she can, and even digs...so I’m sure she’s not in pain. Its her back toe, not just the toe but the whole digit. It just stays in a normal position. It doesnt look abnormal in any way. It just doesn’t move. I would like to take her to our vet as they specialize in exotic pets but its cost prohibitive. I have no doubt they’ll recommend hundreds in procedures which I can’t afford. If her condition gets worse where she’s exhibiting discomfort than I’ll have no choice but to take her. In the meantime, if anyone is familiar with this condition, any information may be helpful.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Not sure, but is it like this?
F85B8DA4-969B-49B3-9CF4-BC2763C3BE3B.jpeg
If so, I would highly recommend a vet as I would have lost Henkie is we hadn’t gone to the vet right away. If she is completely symptomless, it might be something ‘physical’, like she hurt her toe, and not in illness.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I would like to take her to our vet as they specialize in exotic pets but its cost prohibitive. I have no doubt they’ll recommend hundreds in procedures which I can’t afford. If her condition gets worse where she’s exhibiting discomfort than I’ll have no choice but to take her. In the meantime, if anyone is familiar with this condition, any information may be helpful.
It's never cost prohibitive to take an animal under your care to the vet. Birds tend to hide their pain until it's too late. If she's not moving her toe at all, it's already something very serious.

The longer you wait, the more expensive treatment will be.