• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Love my vet!!- Cornell, NY

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a review of my vet, Cornell. We go there for emergencies and Check-ups.
The staff there are soo nice. They are respectful, suggest many helpful treatments, and are very clear.
The wait time is a little long, but it is SO worth it. I had a home vet who called my pets brats, and her wait time was very short. :) (we don't use her anymore!!)
Cornell will get you in ASAP. (it's the waiting to go home time that's long!)
They have state-of-the-art facilities, and really care about the animal.

I'd really recommend them. :)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Dr. Susan Clubb, Wellington FL - She is amazing, can truly handle large birds without toweling them, and is very committed to birds. She does lots of studies and writes papers and is very active in the avian community. She is wonderful!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Dr. Susan Clubb, Wellington FL - She is amazing, can truly handle large birds without toweling them, and is very committed to birds. She does lots of studies and writes papers and is very active in the avian community. She is wonderful!
She sounds very nice. :)

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

Wow arent we lucky..my avian vet is the sweetest and the most caring woman. I adore her. And the clinic is only a 20mnt drive from my apt.:)

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
My AV is Kitty Remington and she is so nice and knowledgable. Her office is about 15 min from my apt. Noodle and I have only met her once but we clicked right away and I told her about this forum. After talking for a while, she commented that I seem to have learned a lot of good things here. We kept talking birds until one of the techs had to interrupt us because she had another patient waiting to be seen :p

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Cornell is where I'm planning to go to vet school :p

If I lived near there, that's where I'd go too! But, I do love my vet here in OH, Dr. Lindstrom is so knowledgeable...been in the biz since before there was really a biz :p

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Cornell is where I'm planning to go to vet school :p

If I lived near there, that's where I'd go too! But, I do love my vet here in OH, Dr. Lindstrom is so knowledgeable...been in the biz since before there was really a biz :p
Come visit my flock if you do. :)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Dr. Susan Clubb was B. Angels (my BH Pi) breeder :) I've heard wonderful things about her!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to be near cornell. I have heard MANY good things!
They really are great!!
Oh yes, one more thing to mention.
Whether it's an emergency or not, They take your pets back into a separate Examination/Testing room. The general public never sees this, but I (having half a degree in pig medicine! :hehe:) got the privilege too. It is a nice room. Exam tables in the middle, equipment on the walls, kennels on the walls. The kennels are nice, high quality. :)
Just saying if any Ithacans are worried about the exam rooms. :)

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I agree, we are both very lucky to have Cornell as an option. One drawback for me is if it is an emergency it is a 45 minute drive from Watkins.
One thing I don't like, which comes with it being a vet school, is that you never see the same vets twice and are forced to go over the same information every time as if it was your very first visit. You rarely see the attendings, Drs. Morrisey or Dematos. They will also put things on the discharge sheet without discussing them with you. The last time I left they had put on there about how Zoey had many visible stress bars on her feathers. They never asked me about them, or thought about the fact that since she started plucking at 10 months old that she had been to the vet every 3-6 months for blood draws, which is enough to stress out any little birdy. It felt like they thought I was lying about providing her with nutritious food, large cage with toys rotated regularly and lots of out time. Now that she has been weaned off the anti-anxiety meds and hasn't been back in more than a year there is not a single stress bar on her feathers.
You never did tell me what you had heard bad about Briarpatch. In my experience they have been wonderful, though I don't think Dr. McMasters is a certified avian vet. She sent me to Cornell because she didn't feel comfortable drawing blood on Zoey. I think they can just do your basic grooming needs and minor illnesses.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, we are both very lucky to have Cornell as an option. One drawback for me is if it is an emergency it is a 45 minute drive from Watkins.
One thing I don't like, which comes with it being a vet school, is that you never see the same vets twice and are forced to go over the same information every time as if it was your very first visit. You rarely see the attendings, Drs. Morrisey or Dematos. They will also put things on the discharge sheet without discussing them with you. The last time I left they had put on there about how Zoey had many visible stress bars on her feathers. They never asked me about them, or thought about the fact that since she started plucking at 10 months old that she had been to the vet every 3-6 months for blood draws, which is enough to stress out any little birdy. It felt like they thought I was lying about providing her with nutritious food, large cage with toys rotated regularly and lots of out time. Now that she has been weaned off the anti-anxiety meds and hasn't been back in more than a year there is not a single stress bar on her feathers.
You never did tell me what you had heard bad about Briarpatch. In my experience they have been wonderful, though I don't think Dr. McMasters is a certified avian vet. She sent me to Cornell because she didn't feel comfortable drawing blood on Zoey. I think they can just do your basic grooming needs and minor illnesses.
From 5 or so different people i heard they cared just about the money.
I actually always see a vet. :) Right now Morrisey is caring for E. Dematos was last time. :)