• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love My Plucker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy

I've only known her a few days (since Saturday 10-17-09) but I already love my plucker!

Tracy and Jewel

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
i don't think it has to be from a bad start, either. Toc's chewed his feathers right FROM the start, starting with his clutchmates.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awww my heart is melting

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I was just curious to know if pluckers like to take baths or showers. Also, is it hard to keep them warm in the winter? One more...do they ever pluck their wing feathers used for flight?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here's the Diva. It's an old pic. I have to get some new ones to post soon. She's a very bald red chicken now.
She still likes to flaunt it! :dancing:

Attachments

Last edited:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
They are all beautiful in their varying nakedness! I could just snuggle them all :heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
i don't think it has to be from a bad start, either. Toc's chewed his feathers right FROM the start, starting with his clutchmates.
Are you sure it wasnt from his parronts? Or too small of a cage (if he was already fledged), or from the parronts chasing them around? I dont think true plucking can truly start that early on. It may be associated with environment, breedin cage, if they were with th eparronts, if the parronts started it on the babies form inside the nest, etc etc.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I was just curious to know if pluckers like to take baths or showers. Also, is it hard to keep them warm in the winter? One more...do they ever pluck their wing feathers used for flight?

They wont pluck the tail and flight feathers. But they will barber them down to the bare roots and skin.

And yes its always hard to keep them warm, and they will need to eat a bit more fats and protiens in their diet, as they are always cold when plucked and many are cold if they have any feather issue as it offsets th ebalance of thei rfeathers and heat escapes. I always recommend to keep pluckers, or any feather problem birds, in a room no cooler than 70. It will help with keepingtheir weight up too, if they are always cold and shovering.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

:heart:
I make sure all of the birds get a bath or shower, if the naked ones get wet I always make sure there is a heater in the room that is on 70 degrees at all times, sometime in very cold winter days I keep it at 75 degrees. I had one plucker that plucked tail feathers but most of them keep their wing feathers. I will post a picture of Duncan, a previous plucked rescue that we had.

All of ours came plucked and there have never plucked here, they either plucked for so long that the feathers will not grow back or they were very unhappy and started to pluck such as my Rose Breasted Cockatoo who plucked and pluck and I now give him a phone book daily and he never plucked again. LOL silly too :)

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
By the way, for those of you who don't know, this is Duncan a Patagonian Conure.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
I think we keep our house warm enough.. but Miss Jewel does seem to shiver a bit. My next step is to get a full-spectrum light for her... I mean, I would whether she were a plucker or not, but I figure it might help with the warmth issue. (right?)

As for bathing, so far I've misted her. I'd need a proper shower perch before we try the shower. (She has not yet ever bathed herself using her waterbowl.. it could be its too small... I wonder if she'd try in a bigger bowl.)

Tracy (new to being owned by a plucker) :D

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
What a beautiful male Ekkie, Eko is very handsome!!!! LOL I LOVE EKKIES!!! I love my Reba, and I want a male so bad...or a Vos. Female:dancing: haha plucked or not I love them all!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I can't believe that Harper isn't on this thread yet! I love my Harper too.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.