• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love My Plucker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
:omg: I LOVE the little cutey pie pluckers :hug8:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Are you sure it wasnt from his parronts? Or too small of a cage (if he was already fledged), or from the parronts chasing them around? I dont think true plucking can truly start that early on. It may be associated with environment, breedin cage, if they were with th eparronts, if the parronts started it on the babies form inside the nest, etc etc.
no, i'm not sure.. you're right - it could be from something else.. *sigh* i really wish we knew more about his past.. i *do* know it wasn't his parents, though. and that he chewed off his clutchmates feathers... he barbered Cookie's, too.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
Here's my little Sennie Peg.. all fluffed up after a bath. You can see her crippled leg with 1 toe bent under her body. she's fairly naked under her wings and belly...

Last edited:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Here's Petrie :) She's bald around her neck and her legs and under her wings, but she's starting to grow feathers back! :dance5:

tml

Sitting on the front steps

Not all had a bad start. I had Duster since a little baby...he was always loved and cared for just like my others....with him it seems to be all hormonal....and he is happy!

I'm glad you said this. I have had Bing, my African Grey, since he was a baby and visited him almost daily where he was handfed and raised before he came home with me. He has a pretty good life, if I must say so myself. He started barbering last December when he was about ten months old. It started wtih his tail and then his chest and wings. Over the Spring and Summer he let it grow back. I was holding my breath hoping it was a once and done thing but almost to the day he began it again this December. This time he started with his chest and wings. He's a mess but I love the little guy. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He makes me laugh all the time. He is a happy, funny, goofy little brat who just seems to have this compulsion. Having said that I feel like I am always having to defend the fact that he is not unhappy or mistreated or came from a bad situation.

This was Bing about a week ago. He's actually a little worse now but this gives you a good idea of what he is up to.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Your Sinnie and the Greys are all beautiful!!! :) Plucky butts rock!!!

Cory

Real Name
Cory
This is my baby girl Riley. :heart: She's a Blue Streaked Lory. She's plucked her legs, chest, wings, and back. :( I only have these two photos for now that don't show too much.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
All the pluckers are beautiful:heart:

I hate being able to contribute a handful of birds to this thread:(

But we have several feather damagers here.

Olly, CAG, came to us plucking/barbering, has been plucking his entire life (17 years), seems to be a habit.

Kiwi, alexandrine, came to us barbering, now he barbers every winter. This winter is one of his better winters though! He's barbered significantly less than previous years:) In late spring, summer, early fall, he is fully feathered.

Chewy, U2, came to us plucking/barbering, she plucks when she's stressed (basically whenever new people are around too long), I'm anxiously awaiting her spring molt and hoping nothing will make her chew them off this time! She was sooo close to fully feathered during the summer, but then we had a bunch of new farm workers staying with us in a short period of time, and within two days all her pretty chest feathers were gone:(

Leyla and Kermit, lovies, both have polyfolliculitis. Kermit's plucking is barely visible (it's a little sparse around the neck), but he does mutilate because of the polyfoll. and has to wear a cone. Leyla will never have pretty blue rump feathers - she's finally 'killed' her rump feather follicles, which is awesome in her case!:dance4:

And lastly, Spike, G2, came to us barbering his flights and tail feathers. He's veryyyyy slowwwllyyyy improving. He actually has a tail now!!! It's not in perfect condition, but at least he's not a duck butt anymore:D He even lets some flights grow out now and then. I'm hoping in another few years he might stop completely.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.