• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love Birds

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm more of a finch person but I've been thinking about some other bird species that I might want to breed in the future and Love Birds come to mind. I have never owned any Love Birds, I do not know how easy they are to breed or there noise factor. Noise levels would be important because I live in a flat/apartment that doesn't have very good sound proofing. If they only make noise every now and again then that should be fine but if its constant then that could be an issue. These are all things I need to think about. They look like very nice intelligent birds. I can build them a nice sized cage plus give them some fly time outside the cage if needed.

What are Love Birds like to own?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
After watching some youtube videos on Love Birds I don't think my apartment would be suitable as they are quite noisy. I'm still thinking about Parrotlets as they don't seem to make much noise from what I can tell so far, from what people have told me and what I've watched on youtube.

Ring necked parakeets could be a possibility. Although Ring Necked parakeets are noisy I could potentially build them an enclosure on my balcony and breed Ring Necked parakeets because there outside and there are also lots of wild ring necked parakeets flying about making a racket I don't think people would notice too much. There are other factors to consider with keeping birds outside such as my neighbors things like smoke from BBQ's fumes from spray paint and incense. This is something I'm going to have to have a long think about.

So far its just parrotlets on the agenda for future birds to breed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Noise levels would be important because I live in a flat/apartment that doesn't have very good sound proofing. If they only make noise every now and again then that should be fine but if its constant then that could be an issue.
My birds are loud and their calls are shrill. We live in an apartment. There are times when you can hear a pin drop, but other times it´s mayhem. Most of the day is odd shrieks here and there.

So far its just parrotlets on the agenda for future birds to breed.
I don´t know what parrotlets are like to live with.
@fashionfobie

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets are generally much quieter than other species. However that doesn't mean they never make noise. They can sometimes get very chirpy, especially around the midday. One plus is that even their loud chirps don't carry that far. Depending on how your apartment carriers sound, neighbours may not even know you have birds. If you happen to know zebra finches, I would say parrotlets can be a bit louder than them. However parrotlets make noise less often than zebra finches, if it helps as a point of comparison.

If noise is a concern I suggest against an IRN. They have a very cute voice, but also a very pronounced contact call. The neighbours would be more likely to hear an IRN.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My birds are loud and their calls are shrill. We live in an apartment. There are times when you can hear a pin drop, but other times it´s mayhem.
Totally. I live in an duplex and there are a lot of young kids going to school and I just pray they don’t wake the kids up earlier than they already have to haha

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just pray they don’t wake the kids up earlier than they already have to haha
Coving birds during bed time will prevent that from happening and also allow you to get your night of rest.
My birds are silent when covered for bed. Sometimes there´s odd peeps (no shrieks) for the first hour after covering while they nod off, and they will get noisy if I don´t uncover them on time in the morning. They sleep 9-9 more or less, sometimes 8.30-8.30

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Coving birds during bed time will prevent that from happening and also allow you to get your night of rest.
My birds are silent when covered for bed. Sometimes there´s odd peeps (no shrieks) for the first hour after covering while they nod off, and they will get noisy if I don´t uncover them on time in the morning. They sleep 9-9 more or less, sometimes 8.30-8.30
Budgies are a lot like that. I have been thinking about a breeding pair of budgies but I'm still on the fence on that. Budgies are noisy but not as loud as most parakeet species so they could potentially live outside and I'll just turn the balcony into another aviary, however with that said there are still those other issues like what if somebody decides to have a BBQ or starts spray painting etc. My neighbor often spray paints things outside which isn't normally an issue I just close the balcony doors but when birds are on the balcony there is no protection for them. I have noticed that a couple of other people near by keep budgies on there balcony. It might be to much of a risk but at the same time tempting.

Parrotlets I can breed inside if they don't chirp that much.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll just turn the balcony into another aviary
what if somebody decides to have a BBQ or starts spray painting etc.
My neighbor often spray paints things outside
when birds are on the balcony there is no protection for them.
It might be to much of a risk but at the same time tempting.
I would not do that. If your balcony is so close that you get smoke from neighbours bbqs and paint coming over, then it is not a place for birds to live.

. I have noticed that a couple of other people near by keep budgies on there balcony.
We can´t make choices based on what other people are doing. We need to make our own decisions after reviewing all possible information, pros and cons and all possible outcomes.
There are people out there robbing banks. There are people out there hunting animals for sport. There are people out there who are unkind to others.
Just because they do it, doesn´t mean it´s ok and that we should copy blindly.

You could have an aviary as a play area, and let them go in there when you´re home. If you smell smoke or fumes, bring the birds indoors. But leaving them outside all the time is not a good idea.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I would not do that. If your balcony is so close that you get smoke from neighbours bbqs and paint coming over, then it is not a place for birds to live.

We can´t make choices based on what other people are doing. We need to make our own decisions after reviewing all possible information, pros and cons and all possible outcomes.
There are people out there robbing banks. There are people out there hunting animals for sport. There are people out there who are unkind to others.
Just because they do it, doesn´t mean it´s ok and that we should copy blindly.

You could have an aviary as a play area, and let them go in there when you´re home. If you smell smoke or fumes, bring the birds indoors. But leaving them outside all the time is not a good idea.
I did think of that but its still a risk because I may not be able to get them back in on time. I'd have to act very quickly the minute I hear the shake of a spray can. It be ok for winter as nobody really has BBQ's The neighbor mainly sprays things when its warm out. The council don't allow BBQ's but people still have them.

The only other way of doing it is having a some large sheets of clear plexi glass or something like it instead of wire mesh then sealing around the edges. There is always a solution to a problem, sometimes it just takes some working out. I could add a ventilation grid that I can close when I need too. That is one possible solution.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
They are quiet until about 7am. I have a senior cat that’s up everyday at 530 so they are even quiet through that. I cover them at night with a nightlight.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
On the topic of mornings, my parrotlets like to sleep in. I am nearly always up before them. I also don't cover them and they are near windows. They like their beauty rest :loveshower:

For example, I have already fed them and started my day, it is now 8:42 am in QLD. They did go eat their breakfast immediately, but still haven't started chattering.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
On the topic of mornings, my parrotlets like to sleep in. I am nearly always up before them. I also don't cover them and they are near windows. They like their beauty rest :loveshower:

For example, I have already fed them and started my day, it is now 8:42 am in QLD. They did go eat their breakfast immediately, but still haven't started chattering.
sounds like you have trained them well:lol:
Pico and indie were quite until they hear us get up then they flock call we whistle back and then they settle pico flock calls when we go to bed too they are noisy mostly at 5
But mango who’s downstairs (new bird) is noisy from min sun comes up makes a totally different noise to other two louder almost like an hienna laugh :meh: so looking forward to mango moving in spare bedroom with other two:banghead: