• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love bird sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a question do lovebirds (or well birds in general) sneeze? My little Luna ever since ive had him (he is 18 weeks old) sneezes frequently, like every 30 mins to an hour he might sometimes a lot longer apart some times sooner.
I tired to Google it but mostly found Lovebirds who actually mimic "achoo" human sneezes. Luna sounds like he is just exhaling though his little nostrils. There is no discharge and his nostrils do not seem wet after at all. After he sneezes his feathers will move and you can see them but that is it.
I am just not sure if I should be worried or is this is normal.

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
O I should add he eats and drinks and poops normally and seems completely healthy to me.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's troubling that he sneezes so frequently, discharge or no. I wonder if something in the air/environment is bothering him. 2 of my lovebirds don't sneeze all that often around me. There's only one that sneezes with any regularity, and that's Termite. Since he DOES often have clear discharge when he sneezes, I have taken him to the vet several times. Dr. Clubb thinks he may have allergies. Maybe your baby has some sensitivity? Couldn't hurt to take him to the vet. I would, just to make sure there's nothing going on.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Bartleby will sneeze a few times a day, but not nearly as frequently as you're describing. Perhaps a vet visit to rule out an infection would be a good thing?

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yes since I brought him home I am very careful about not wearing perfume ever ( i only put it on in the car if i am going somewhere then change my clothes before i go see him). My dad has a lot of allergies so i know all of our detergent is no sent/hypoallergenic. And if the house is being cleaned The door to his room is always shut and no spray cleaning products are allowed to be used in his room.

Thanks for your response!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
My guys only sneeze on occasion outside ralphie mimicing sneezes, so I as well would think it'd be best for a vet visit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also look at your humidity. Jingo did this too all of a sudden, so I freaked out. I didn't connect the dots between removing my 29 gallon fish tank the week before and his sneezing until the vet asked. If everything seems okay except your bird, I'd take him in.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I would also look at your humidity. Jingo did this too all of a sudden, so I freaked out. I didn't connect the dots between removing my 29 gallon fish tank the week before and his sneezing until the vet asked. If everything seems okay except your bird, I'd take him in.
What a smart vet to ask about a fish tank!

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you every one for all of your responses! I once lost a dog very unexpenctdly due to a msive spread of cancer btu she never showed any signs untill the end so I know I tend to be overly sensitive now to any change in my pets.

I did take Luna to the vet and she said he has a little cold which is common for his first molt in this weather. She gave ne some medicine to give him and he should have large change in his sneezing soon.

DSC07462.jpg

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
Luna is gorgeous. Glad he made it to the vet and everything sounds like it will be a-okay!

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Luna IS a gorgeous lovebird! :faint: I hope he is ok.

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I just wanted to thank everyone for responding, I am always worried I am too sensitive to possible health issues. Well Luna is now done with his meds and in stead of sneezing 7 times in 1 and half hours he might sneeze 7 times in one day! I think some of the sneezing is due to the dust in our very high ceilings which he loves zipping and flying around in! And hes happy and healthy now!

Ditty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diane
Luna is beautiful! Glad he will be feeling better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.