• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love bird or budgie

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Okay, I've narrowed my bird search down to two birds. I can't decide between a handfed budgie and a handfed love bird.

I love them both in every way and at this point I'm so stuck. I love the talking potential of a budgie, which is something I never cared about in birds before hearing their adorable voices. Of course if my bird doesn't talk I'll still love them. And I like the colors of the peach faced lovebird better.

If people could tell me their experiences bonding with lovebirds that would be great. I really want a bird I can bond with, and I'm a stay at home wife so I have the time to spend bonding.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've never had a budgie, so I can't compare them. I have a female masked lovebird. My experience with her is she's very energetic and busy, and definitely thinks she's much bigger than she is! I have two other species of birds and can say that lovebirds can definitely be bullies. I absolutely love her even though I can't let her fly at the same time as my other birds. I am under the impression that budgies tend to be quieter. My lovebird chatters all day long, and some of it can be pretty loud. I definitely don't mean to steer you away from lovebirds as they're fantastic, just this is my real world experience with mine.

@Beasley haven't you had both lovebirds and budgies?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I do think most birds will bond with you if you are patient and take the time to develop a relationship with them.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I have four peach face lovebirds, and am currently hand feeding three budgie chicks, but I can’t really speak to the budgie experience as a budgie mom.

Of my lovebirds one (Bug, male) I hand fed myself, two are his parents that I adopted as adults, and one (Jules, female) I bought as a hand fed chick. So I’ll tell you about bonding with Jules and Bug. I got extremely lucky and I never had a single problem bonding with Jules. She picked me at the bird store and from that day she was my baby. She snuggled in my clothes, would follow me anywhere, always wanted to be with me, and tolerated changes in our lives and various moves like she hadn’t a care in the world! Going through the first year’s hormonal changes was a challenge and I got bitten more than I expected, but she’s mellowed back into my super sweet little girl now. She is extremely jealous of Bug though and will bite me if he’s with/on me :meh:...female PFLs are pure attitude and they are not shy about letting you know when they’re miffed.

Bug is only 5 months old, and is an absolute darling. He never liked snuggling in my shirt, but he loves to be snuggled up against me or on my shoulder pressed against my neck. Both Bug & Jules like to explore and cause trouble, stop by for cuddles and scritches, then fly off to make mischief and play on their stand. Neither is a bird who would happily stay on my shoulder, they’re busy bodies and prefer to do their own thing with me in the room with them. I get complaints when I leave and both try to follow me but neither is allowed free in the bird room because they’re little twerps! Twerps I wouldn’t trade for the world, but twerps none the less ;):xflove:

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful. After much deliberation I have decided that a budgie is the way to go.
I feel like they are more suitable for my home environment. And they have the cutest little personalities. I'll save the lovebird for when I have my own house!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
between the two, you couldn’t have gone wrong either way ;) I can’t wait to see your pictures and hear all about your budgie when you bring one home!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would like to add that budgies really do like to be in pairs or groups, so maaybe you could consider two birds. A lone lovebird would be ok alone only if you have a lot of time to spend with them (as any lone bird needs).

If you change your mind and go the lovebird route, get an unclipped male peach faced ;)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Never owned a budgie, so can't really say how they are as pets. But I do believe they have the better ability to talk and mimic. I've posted lots of videos of my lovebird and my interactions with her so I may be a bit biased when it comes to the two. I think lovebirds may be the more stubborn one.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I know you already made your choice. But still I'd like to add that if you ever want to expand your flock, a budgie is the better choice. Lovebirds are difficult with other birds, and even their own kind isn't always a succes. Budgies are (from what I have read here) way more adaptable.