• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love Bird is Obsessed with My Face

Loki’s Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Mohr
We have had Loki for about 4 months now. He still doesn’t like hands and he doesn’t step up or like to be touched but he likes to be with us. He comes out of his cage and follows us around and he likes to come sit on the couch in the evenings with the family. He was obsessed with our Pug but she ignored him and wouldn’t let him preen her so he has decided that I’m the next best thing.

He comes and finds me and climbs all over me and nibbles my hair. Just in the past he has started making a B line straight to my chest and just looking at my face. He tilts his head back and fourth and looks into my eyes and gets so close to my face he’s almost touching me. He likes to explore things with beak and lightly nibble and there have been a few times he reached out and preens my hair or lightly nibbles my face or my neck and nibbles a little too hard …. Or grabs my lip…. Now if I make a sound and pull back he’s like “oh… oops”. I’m learning trust but he has got me a couple times so it’s nerve wracking lol! Why does he want to be right up in my face? If I turn my head the other way he follows it immediately. It’s sweet but what does it mean?

these are terrible pictures but you get the idea- he’s actually giving my face some space them

Attachments

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Both of my birds do this. They test their boundaries too. Wally will do an ear nibble and a preen. It’s a quick nibble. But he flaps and yells directly in my face all day. Eva is more quiet but she’s gotten this bad habit of latching on and not letting go. It’s not a terribly hard bite but the latching on is more the issue. We are working on that. They will both get sooo close where basically we are touching and I have to bend my head back because it’s so intrusive.

Loki’s Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Mohr
Lol, that’s why have like 3 chins in these pictures, from pushing my head back lol!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds also do this. I think, as we are so much bigger, this is their way of sitting next to us. You see pairs of lovebirds, and they sit next to each other, sometimes beak touching, cheek touching, sometimes just generally close, whether awake or asleep.

If your little guy is a single bird, then he will be even more glued to your face, wanting to be with you.
Try setting up a play area or stand next to where you are and encourage some independent play. Add toys and treats to the stand, be sure to show him how the things work, and give him a little tour of the play area to pique interest.
While it´s nice he spends time with you, it´s important that there is a balance of being with you, and entertaining himself.

During his next moult when the wings grow back, he will have more access to being independent and hopefully with help him being a little less velcro.

Cute photos :swoon:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Hahns loves to preen my face too.
Somewhere somebody once said they think of our face as the actual bird part who is sitting on top of the mobile treat dispenser/tree playground