• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Love bird dying - flew into glue trap

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
this isn’t my or Karen’s bird, but a friend of mines. She likes in scottland and has a peach face lovebird. Yesterday, he flew into a glue trap. She poured oil over him in a panic. He wasn’t hand tame, but he suddenly started stepping up and letting her hold him. She kept him in a dark place overnight, but since he was looking better (despite his oily feathers) she tried to wash him with dish soap in the shower, brushing his feathers with a soapy toothbrush and rinsing him with the shower. She returned him to his cage, in the sun where he’d hopefully dry.

A few minutes ago, she found him, bright eyed but with clenched feet and barely moving. She called the vet and they told her that he wouldn’t survive the trip and to keep him comfortable and hope he pull some through.

I urged her to post here. She doesn’t know how to use forums and has asked me to help. Again, not my bird. I will send her the link to this page but will have to respond for her.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I dont have any answers honey, maybe he had a seizure or a stroke from the experience, I hope he will be ok.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I dont have any answers honey, maybe he had a seizure or a stroke from the experience, I hope he will be ok.
Thank you. My friend wants to say thank you for the kind response.

She says Ozzie has been eating, drinking, and pooping find since the incident and that he hasn’t preened himself, and that she made sure the soap was through rinsed. She used vegetable oil.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
SHe says he’s moving again, but is cold despite being in a bathroom with the shower running.
I told her to get a heat pack and warm him

Just had a seizure. Head bent to chest and flapping his wings super fast.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My guess would also be temperature regulation or shock.
I’m glad the warmth is helping and I hope he pulls through.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
His breathing has gone shallow again... this is we think might Be a seizure

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor little bird. I hope he'll be okay.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This bird is in very poor shape. Yes that is a seizure. More than likely stress induced if this is new. She should be on her way to the vet right now. If this bird is going to die it doesn't matter whether its in that box in the house or in the car on the way to someone who can save him. His vitals needs to be monitored and treat accordingly. A dark and very warm (90 degrees) place until then.

And please tell her to get rid of those bloody glue traps. I can even count how many birds those things have killed.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really think he needs to get to the vet if he's going to have any chance. I know what she was told, but what is going to change if she doesn't take him? If he were my bird, I would wrap him in as much warmth as possible and go. If he died on the way, at least I'd know I'd tried everything.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
This bird is in very poor shape. Yes that is a seizure. More than likely stress induced if this is new. She should be on her way to the vet right now. If this bird is going to die it doesn't matter whether its in that box in the house or in the car on the way to someone who can save him. His vitals needs to be monitored and treat accordingly. A dark and very warm (90 degrees) place until then.

And please tell her to get rid of those bloody glue traps. I can even count how many birds those things have killed.
She called the emergency vet and they flat out refused to treat him. She’s bringing him to another vet in the morning, as soon as they open. It’s 11 pm for her.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Ozzie just passed away

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. Terribly tragic, I hope she'll get rid of the glue traps :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that your friend's bird has passed.
Sad about the emergency vet not being willing to treat him. Maybe they didn't feel as if they had enough knowledge to treat a bird but they still have some knowledge. However I remember calling around regarding one of my birds to multiple emergency vets and they said that they were sorry but they couldn't treat him because they don't treat birds or else the vet who usually treats birds wasn't in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's often hard to find a vet. I had a baby horse born early - no vet would drive up to my farm. He was a preemie, he wasn't going to make it, yadda yadda. I put a sweatshirt on him, moved into the stall with him (he couldn't stand) and turned him from one side to the other, pressed on his feet and worked his legs. After 3 weeks he got up. The vets just shook their heads. He was a wonderful horse. I named him Trouble.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so very sorry to hear that Ozzie passed away.
:sadhug2: