• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Louie and Reo (Umbies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What's been going down in Umbrella Town(Pic Heavy)

For those who know me, I havent talked much lately, especially about my birds.

Well let me tell you whats been going on.

Back in August, I decided to place Reo, Louie in an outdoor aviary with other Umbrella cockatoo. Ideally, I want Opa out there too. In the next couple years Im going to be running an umbrella cockatoo rescue (with possibly a smaller RLA and Scarlet macaw aviary too), so I want my birds to learn to live outdoors before I get started. I placed my boys in a 30ft aviary with 12 other umbrella cockatoos Louie adapted very well, and LOVES his new environment. Reo took a couple weeks to settle down, he was a very needy, velcro bird, now he is a very independent guy! And whenever I go visit my boys(Every Sunday just about :D), he LOVES his mama, and lets me know how happy he is. But he has learned to live with other cockatoos, which is great. This is what I've wanted, as its very crucial for a cockatoo, especially an aviary bird, to learn to adapt and BE a BIRD :)

For Louie it was hard for my mom to accept that Louie would be way better off in an aviary environment. Cockatoos just arent meant to be house birds, especially when they have gone through that much level of abuse that Louie had earlier in his life. I could say the same with Bokka, but he is extremely attached to me, and doesnt do well in a flock environment.

For some birds its best to put them in a flock environment, which it has proven for Louie and Reo and many of the Umbies I know, but for others, which I know some, it wouldnt work out.

Some pics:

Reo:

Louie:

A couple random shots of the Umbie residents:

This guy has "butterfly wings", supposely he was hatched this way, but I am doubtful, his wings looked bruised and broken, and they feel broken, and by the feel of it and the look of his under sides of the wings (very red/purple, and not normal, purple color of cockatoo skin) I'd say they were either broken this way or he was in an extremely small cage for a long period of time:

http://i3.photo[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]bucket.com/albums/y66/Sapphire7/phone085.jpg

This is "One eye", his right eye was punctured earlier in his life, he is plucked, and feather chewed, but does OK in an aviary environment. He has taken to me right away, he is SUCH a love.

And this Miss THING, would NOT leave me ALONE. She just wanted to be all over me, bouncy around like a goffins cockatoo, and being SUCH a FLIRT. This had to be one of her first hormone season, just due to her personality. She was acting like a total MALE. But she is female with attiTOOd, such a sassy lil thing!

Back half of the aviary:

I have so many pics of all the 'toos and birds, but thats all for now. So thats just a little about me, my birds, and whats been "up" lately.

Mercedez

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing a nice setup and I love the pictures of the birds

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
wow! i think what you're doing is great! They're all very beautiful and the aviaries look awesome!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Glad your here.

Is it your aviary or is it a sancuary?

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Not my outdoor aviary :) But a close friend of mine. He does rescue work of ALL kinds of birds. His macaw aviary is 60ft long... My umbie aviary will be close to 100ft once its finished :D Im going to be setting up my umbie rescue in the next year or two. I have the space, acreage, money and time, I just need to set up now :D So now Im going to be able to do it.:dancing:

Mercedez

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Very neat! Glad they are doing so well!

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is great you will be building your own outdoor aviary, that is exciting. Your pics are adorable, love those Toos.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Wow, that is so cool! The Umbie with the missing eye made my heart hurt, the abuse and suffering that some birds suffer is never far from my mind. :(

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Thats fantastic!! happy too's!..Love it..keep up the good work sugar..xoxox..

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Wow Mercedez you are definitely walking the walk. Thanks for showing us the pictures and their new home.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Hi Mercedez,

Your aviary is a wonderful testament to all your hard work.

Isn't it getting cold up there about now?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow that is really nice!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hi Mercedez,

Your aviary is a wonderful testament to all your hard work.

Isn't it getting cold up there about now?

Birds can and will adapt very easily to their new environment and climate. They just need TIME to do so. Which its best to put birds outdoors(around here) mid/late spring, so they get used to the change in temperature, so when fall comes around they are prepared. Laurie of cockatoorescue.org and the other rescue I am associated with, they have all their birds(well..most of them) outdoors, and never have a problem. Those who absolutely NEED to come indoors, come indoors, those who do not, stay outdoors. However They do put up thick plexi type glass/plastic over most of their aviaries to prevent the aviaries from dropping below freezing.

But Mollywood of Bellingham, they leave their aviary birds outdoors, with no type of plexi glass, or whatever. And many of their birds do OK. HOWEVER You just have to worry about frost bitten toes, and frozen birds, heat lamps and heated areas usually prevent this.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
You are such a treasure to any bird forum.

I learn so much from you.

PS: I heard you got your own place. Congrats.

What is it like to have roomates?

Does your mom miss you or the birds more?

Did your brother get 1st dibs on your room as soon as you were out the door?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You are such a treasure to any bird forum.

I learn so much from you.

PS: I heard you got your own place. Congrats.

What is it like to have roomates?

Its great actually. They have their own life, issues,etc, and basically leave me to myself :) We're friends as well, and they are great roomates. My birds are adapting to their new home VERY well, which surprises me :) Everyone loves the birds, and I know Bokka and Opa are going through a "honeymoon period" with them, but so far, they are doing quite nicely :) But in my eyes, they are acting like their usual selves. Have become content,etc. So, maybe after the honeymoon period, everything will be alright:hehe: but ofcourse Im not holding it to them ;)

Does your mom miss you or the birds more?

She deeply misses me :( I try and visit her on the weekends :) Its just with me not working as much as I used to, and bringing in the money, and me going to school, she has been pressuring me a lot. And we used to fight atleast 3xs a day. I would truly love to stay with her, but it just cant be right now. Not healthy for either of us, and not at all for the fids. But honestly, this may sound childish, but she IS my best friend. I love my mom. But right now, Im going back to school, to get a career (until I become an Ornithologist anyway) as an Medical Assitant, so while I go to school to become an Ornithologist, I can have a good paying job at the same time. I already have my externsite all planned out, and have someone who wants to hire me for $20 just starting out, because I got a GREAT recommendation from someone who works at this clinic. But honestly, I'd much prefer my mom to live with ME. So I can set the rules and bounderies, so we dont fight all the time :) She thinks its a good idea, but at the time, not right now. I need to get set in what I want/need to do.

Did your brother get 1st dibs on your room as soon as you were out the door?

Actually I believe my little sister has first dibs :) lol
I hope I answered your Q's :) I havent yet set up my own aviary for my umbies. But soon :D I have said that a lto, but to me, "soon" is within this year or the next...hopefully :) I just want to get everything organized and settled and start doing what I need to do.:dance5:

Right now my mom is taking care of my dog, I need to update her shots, which will be happening in the next couple of days, and get Frontline on her (we usually only keep frontline on the dogs in the spring/summer,. when fleese are at their worst). My roomies have a dog, so I gotta do what i gotta do with Lindy before she gets to move in :D I miss going running with my pooch.

Status
Not open for further replies.