• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Lots of cheeping in the park today

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have spent the afternoon at my local park (my favourite place) with my parents who are here on holiday, there was plenty of cheeping, it´s such a sweet sound! I saw a good 50+ tiny weeny little chicks.

I have made a couple of clips to share the cuteness!

And today I only told off two children (both girls) and their ignorant parents today for trying to kick the chicks in the last video.:angry101::shake:

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! So cute! Thank you for filming these gorgeous birds. :xflove::xflove:

I will share some of my chicken craze with the rest of you. :p
First video at 2:40, great example of how hens teach her babies. That vocalisation is the announcement for a good protein source. For a feral chicken bread would be this.
She then picks up the piece and drops it several time. You can see she doesn't eat it herself. She gives it all up for her babies. She just moves it around to attract her chicks to it.

I laughed when I saw dad walk in and just eat everything. Oh boys :rolleyes:

Roosters will call out high protein sources to hens and will feed them before copulating. At least they buy dinner ;)

I am very annoyed that those people tried kicking them... people need to stop being sh1t to chickens... ERRG!:angry101:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Ugh! Being nasty to ANY animal jerks my chain big time!!!

Your videos are so adorable! I wish spring would hurry up and arrive here. Still rather chilly today!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She then picks up the piece and drops it several time. You can see she doesn't eat it herself. She gives it all up for her babies. She just moves it around to attract her chicks to it.
I have sometimes seen hens lift a piece of food and drop it in front of the chick... I´m assuming this is the same thing? :)

what foods are good for the chicks? They are so tiny!

When I go to the park, I usually take bread, my leftover seeds mixed with new seeds, and a couple of buckets of chopped veg (peppers, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower etc)

In the park there are lots of animals, I like to do a full lap of the park and feed as many as possible, I always make sure I give food to the chicks, and I try to avoid the pigeons (they can leave and scavenge from local cafes).

Is there any other foods I can give them? Things I can feed to ducks, chickens, swans, quaker parrots and peacocks.

Being nasty to ANY animal jerks my chain big time!!
Yes, i told the first girl not to get to close to the birds as she was shuffling forward to where I put the food. She backed up, then I saw her out the corner of my eye kicking the gravel towards the birds and when she came near me and the chicks I told her no. Her dad did nothing. I then filmed the video. As i got up to walk away to leavethe park a second little girl came over kicking as she was getting closer to the baby chicks! (??!??!?!?!??!?!?!) I shouted not to do that (in spanish) and then repeated to her dad, he looked at me strange, I repeated again in english, he said ¨yes I know¨, I said well teach her then! he said ¨yes I will¨ , I pointed to the girl and said go on then. I told him they are just little babies, and he woudl not like it if someone ran at his child kicking at her.
He was useless. He was obviously a tourist with zero respect. So sad.
I was sure to make sure they left the area where the chicks were before I left. My parents were stood nearby shaking their heads at him.
The problem isn´t the kids, it is the parents not stopping them to teach them.

Are people feeding them?
Lots of local people offer food. Unfortunately children give potato snacks.
I always take food. Unfortunately today I only had bread as it was just a quick visit and I forgot my seeds :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read somewhere bread is not good for them. Cant remember why though.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have sometimes seen hens lift a piece of food and drop it in front of the chick... I´m assuming this is the same thing? :)

When I go to the park, I usually take bread, my leftover seeds mixed with new seeds, and a couple of buckets of chopped veg (peppers, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower etc)

In the park there are lots of animals, I like to do a full lap of the park and feed as many as possible, I always make sure I give food to the chicks, and I try to avoid the pigeons (they can leave and scavenge from local cafes).

Is there any other foods I can give them? Things I can feed to ducks, chickens, swans, quaker parrots and peacocks.

Yes, i told the first girl not to get to close to the birds as she was shuffling forward to where I put the food. She backed up, then I saw her out the corner of my eye kicking the gravel towards the birds and when she came near me and the chicks I told her no. Her dad did nothing. I then filmed the video. As i got up to walk away to leavethe park a second little girl came over kicking as she was getting closer to the baby chicks! (??!??!?!?!??!?!?!) I shouted not to do that (in spanish) and then repeated to her dad, he looked at me strange, I repeated again in english, he said ¨yes I know¨, I said well teach her then! he said ¨yes I will¨ , I pointed to the girl and said go on then. I told him they are just little babies, and he woudl not like it if someone ran at his child kicking at her.
He was useless. He was obviously a tourist with zero respect. So sad.
I was sure to make sure they left the area where the chicks were before I left. My parents were stood nearby shaking their heads at him.
The problem isn´t the kids, it is the parents not stopping them to teach them.

Lots of local people offer food. Unfortunately children give potato snacks.
I always take food. Unfortunately today I only had bread as it was just a quick visit and I forgot my seeds :(
Precisely! Children need to shown by their parents the proper way to act . Good job Zara! I'm proud of you!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I read somewhere bread is not good for them. Cant remember why though.
You are correct! It is not a very balanced food for a full diet. However if the birds are needing to fend for themselves a mother hen would announce this as a food source. It is more nutritionally dense then some things. Bread will not hurt them, chickens are really amazing eaters. You probably should avoid feeding bread to ducks. Ducks must drink lots of water with their grains and sometimes a bunch dry bread can cause problems. Limited bread in the water will not kill a duck.. the can eat some grain.

In all honesty my rather spoiled hens will reject bread treats as they prefer fruits and veggies, do remember that they are also able to eat as much pellet as they want. So bread isn't really that exciting to them.

Awe yes! That behaviour of the hen lifting it and dropping it. That is how they help teach their babies.

This is a beautiful video of a hen and her chicks. She really wants her babies to eat birdie bread. Chicks need a much higher calories diet than adults. The crumbs you see are a commerical chick pellet. They call it grow pellet.

These are some good street snack ideas for Ducks and Chicken. I do not have experience with peafowl.

Ducks:: Peas, meal worms, snails, if you like/eat prawns you can feed the legs and heads (clearly be smart about this with freshness etc), most veggies scraps are great too -NO ONION. If feeding grains feed near the open water so that the ducks can drink as needed.

Chickens:: rolled oats, barley, scraps meat pieces if you cook that sort of thing, watermelon, grapes or sultanas/raisins, any orange veggie:: pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, etc. You do not need to cook sweet potato for them. They even eat sweet potato leaves. *Reminder that a sweet potato is a tropical root vegetable, it isn't a night shade plant.
Helping Mummy hen out:: crickets, you could try buying a small bag of starter feed (19%-20% protein)

Both ducks and chickens are omnivores. The best treats are things that are hard for them to find in the wild. High Vitamin A and animal protein sources will be harder to find. They have very strong gizzards. Chickens eat rocks, dirt and such to help them. They will eat sunflower seeds whole for example, this is normal for them :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You do not need to cook sweet potato for them. They even eat sweet potato leaves. *Reminder that a sweet potato is a tropical root vegetable, it isn't a night shade plant.
Cool. I did not know that! :)

Can the ducks eat rolled oats?

I take the bread on a light day where I don´t take my buckets, or when I take the little nephews, they feed bread and seeds and I do the veg.
No one feeds these animals. They are allowed to take sanctuary in the park, but there´s no food for them apart from the bugs in the ground.
The ducks hang out in all the ponds and the water fountain.
I didn´t see the peacock yesterday.

Both ducks and chickens are omnivores. The best treats are things that are hard for them to find in the wild. High Vitamin A and animal protein sources will be harder to find. They have very strong gizzards. Chickens eat rocks, dirt and such to help them. They will eat sunflower seeds whole for example, this is normal for them :)
Interesting!
I have seen grasshoppers in the park before, not many. But the chickens are constantly scratching searching for bugs.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Cool.
Can the ducks eat rolled oats?
Most definitely! It really is best for them to consume lots of moister whilst they eat. Feed the drier grain close to the water, even tossing it into the water is a great idea :)

If you are keeping a pet duck you normally provide a large dish for them to dunk to food into. This is why they are famous for their messy little antics. :xflove:

This is a good example of a healthy way to feed ducks.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok , so maybe I could mix the rolled oats in wth the veg so it soaks any mosture while I´m driving to the park...

What about rice and pasta? (sorry for lots of questions! I don´t know much about chickens)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok , so maybe I could mix the rolled oats in wth the veg so it soaks any mosture while I´m driving to the park...

What about rice and pasta? (sorry for lots of questions! I don´t know much about chickens)
Ask as many questions are you need :)

That is a great idea to let the oats soak. :giveme5:

Rice is fine. There is no reason to cook the rice, they can eat the grains directly. My hens won't touch pasta, but you can try.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is no reason to cook the rice, they can eat the grains directly.
Dry rice? Right out of the jar? :O I would have never of thought they would eat that. Does the pasta need to be cooked?
What if I made a big bucket of chicken chop with rice, rolled oats and a load of different veggies ?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Dry rice? Right out of the jar? :O I would have never of thought they would eat that. Does the pasta need to be cooked?
What if I made a big bucket of chicken chop with rice, rolled oats and a load of different veggies ?
Chickens are very amazing eating machines. :)

You can try cooking pasta. I think feral chickens would take it. They may not though, so it will be an experiment. I know they love barley so it might be best to just add some pearl barley :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If I need to medicate my chickens I put their meds in a grape and feed a grape to which ever bird needs it. They swallow grapes whole. Super eating machines :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I could have stayed in that park forever watching the chickens, chicks, and pigeons! Thanks for the videos... love seeing them teaching the babies what to eat, and what not to!