• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost tail and bald spot back of neck

Raghav

Moving in
My cute budgie already had a bald spot back of neck. It got covered. But recently spot is coming back and suddenly it lost its tail and some other feathers. It is having slightly hard breathe since few days. But it is totally active( hyper) . Another budgie in the same cage also lost few feathers (both are friends and don't fight as far as I know). Do I need to worry about tail and bald spot?

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Yes...definitely! These two babies definitely need to visit the avian vet! Bald spots and losing feathers are warning signs, as long as struggling to breathe. Avian vet ASAP!

Raghav

Moving in
Yes...definitely! These two babies definitely need to visit the avian vet! Bald spots and losing feathers are warning signs, as long as struggling to breathe. Avian vet ASAP!
What might be the problem summerwing?

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Illness, parasites, boredom, malnutrition and dry conditions can all lead to bald spots. In my opinion, mites can also be affecting the birb, especially if the other bird has started to be affected.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
The 'struggling to breathe' could also be a bacterial or respiratory infection. Faecal examinations, checkups and more by a vet can help you pinpoint the problem and hopefully solve it!

Raghav

Moving in
Illness, parasites, boredom, malnutrition and dry conditions can all lead to bald spots. In my opinion, mites can also be affecting the birb, especially if the other bird has started to be affected.
Thanks a lot brother. Yeah..I am taking my birb to vet. Just now I observed blood stains to blue budgie legs , feathers and also to yellow birb features. Is it becoz they fought each other and hence lost tail and feathers?

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Maybe? It is hard to tell.

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Thanks a lot brother. Yeah..I am taking my birb to vet. Just now I observed blood stains to blue budgie legs , feathers and also to yellow birb features. Is it becoz they fought each other and hence lost tail and feathers?
Could be. Did they lose the tail feathers all in one day or over a period of time? And blood stains are definitely not good. Do you have an avian vet that you go to regularly? If not, make sure you get them to an AVIAN VET. It might be different in other locations but where I live, the regular vets do not treat birds at all. If you need help finding a vet, let us know so that we can help you find one in your area.

Raghav

Moving in
Could be. Did they lose the tail feathers all in one day or over a period of time? And blood stains are definitely not good. Do you have an avian vet that you go to regularly? If not, make sure you get them to an AVIAN VET. It might be different in other locations but where I live, the regular vets do not treat birds at all. If you need help finding a vet, let us know so that we can help you find one in your area.
Hi Shilpa, they lost all of it in one day. I brought these cuties just a month back. So I don't have any experience of considering vets. There are vets around here. I am about to consult them. Can you please tell me how much they cost for treatment and all. I don't have any experience of taking them to vets. Thanks a lot.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Hi Shilpa, they lost all of it in one day. I brought these cuties just a month back. So I don't have any experience of considering vets. There are vets around here. I am about to consult them. Can you please tell me how much they cost for treatment and all. I don't have any experience of taking them to vets. Thanks a lot.
Oh, they lost it all in one day? That's concerning. The cost and treatment depends on where you live. If you can give me an approximate location, me or someone else on here can help you find one.

Raghav

Moving in
Oh, they lost it all in one day? That's concerning. The cost and treatment depends on where you live. If you can give me an approximate location, me or someone else on here can help you find one.
I live in tirupati - chittoor district - Andhra Pradesh.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
It looks like this vet treats birds in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.

I don't know how they will charge because I don't live around that area. I live in Wisconsin in the U.S and the vets here charge about $100 to check.

Raghav

Moving in
It looks like this vet treats birds in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.

I don't know how they will charge because I don't live around that area. I live in Wisconsin in the U.S and the vets here charge about $100 to check.
Thanks a lot for the information and for giving ur valuable time Shilpa. I'll contact them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sudden loss of tail, bald patch on head that grows back and blood all indicate a fight/fighting. Step one would be to separate the two birds.

As for the breathing, is this happening because the bird is being chased by the other all of the time? Or is there a health problem here? I don´t know the answer. A vet will be able to test for illness/disease. It is always recommended to take new birds (or any animal cmopanions for that matter) to the vet for a check up and to be sure they are healthy when you bring them home.

Definitely split the birds up and house them in separate cages as soon as you can. You can leave the cages near each other for company, but leave a good 10-15cm gap between the cages so they cannot pull feathers from each other through the bars.

@Ripshod

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It does sound like they've been fighting to me. The heavy breathing could just be anxiety - they're trapped in a cage with a bird that attacks them.
Split them up, then a visit to the vet to make sure there's nothing else.
Do we know gender? This is typical behaviour for two territorial females in the same cage.