• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost Paco's trust, now what?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
After almost 3 years together and all of the progress we had a set back. I wasn't thinking and he stepped up on my arm while I had on a flannel, well before I got him to the bed. He took a little tumble off my arm. Not far and he wasn't hurt but now he refuses to step up. I"m heart broken he was so trusting before.

How can I gain his trust back?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He's ok. I went to the store and when I came back, I just walked up to his cage and put my arm out and he stepped up. He has had a rough 21 years of life. He is so timid, but I like to think he is happier now, he has gained weight and learned the Andy Griffith song, he said sexy the other day! LOL Now he touches his beak to my nose when I ask for a kiss.

Ya gotta love these greys!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This will sound silly, but.....
Take that flannel shirt, hold it up to Paco and 'scold' that shirt.
Let Paco know the shirt was bad, and you are sorry. Make a show of then folding it small and putting it down.
You'd be surprised at the things we can do to communicate we understand what they're feeling.
If there's a 'normal' shirt you wear often, one that Paco has stepped on safely a number of times, put that on while scolding the bad shirt, and slowly offer your arm.
It may not work, but it may.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just saw he's okay. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes thank you. He is terrified of everything. I call clothes laundry all of the time. Still afraid of it. New toy? Forget it. I know now do NOT have Paco step on when I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt, (it was a flannel) I"m petite and small arms he doesn't have much to gripe onto, LOL

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CAG's are so afraid of just about everything. Yesterday I was carrying Jengo to put her in her crate to go outside to the aviary. We had got things set up to can tomatoes. She sees an empty quart jar & yep she freaked. She started flapping while on my hand. I can not grab her or she will nail me. So I let her flap to the floor. She is fully flighted. I had to pick up a jar & touch it to my face to show her it would not hurt her. Then she was fine.

One thing I never do is try to get any of my birds to step up on my arm if I am wearing long sleeves. The sleeve will shift, making them unstable, and they get scared. I have Jengo step on my hand & She will let me grip one foot with my thumb, but if she gets scared she will take off.

Try touching things to your face & see if Paco will accept them. I tell Jengo see it's OK, nothing to be afraid of, while I touch it to my face so she can see me doing it. Sometimes it takes a couple times before she's OK with it.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Toy Thank you so much for your advice! Yes I did make a mistake, the sleeve on the shirt was not stable. I thought Paco was a scared of everything due to his past. I see photos of people hugging CAG's etc. I will try the touching my face with items. I do spend a lot of time with him, calling items the same thing so he will know what I'm doing. I empty the hamper, I say laundry, I get dressed I still call it laundry. Love this guy to pieces.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It takes a rare person to admit to mistakes. You rock lady!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Toy Thank you so much for your advice! Yes I did make a mistake, the sleeve on the shirt was not stable. I thought Paco was a scared of everything due to his past. I see photos of people hugging CAG's etc. I will try the touching my face with items. I do spend a lot of time with him, calling items the same thing so he will know what I'm doing. I empty the hamper, I say laundry, I get dressed I still call it laundry. Love this guy to pieces.
We got Jengo when she was 6 months old, so nope it's a CAG thing. Very few get the privilege of hugging their CAG. Does Paco get red feathers on his neck? Jengo does.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
We got Jengo when she was 6 months old, so nope it's a CAG thing. Very few get the privilege of hugging their CAG. Does Paco get red feathers on his neck? Jengo does.
No red feathers anywhere. Even his tail. He was a plucker when I got him. He was doing so well. He gained weight feathers were growing in, then Covid hit and I worked in the evenings just to pay the bills, he molted his left wing and it is now starting to grow in. The feather plucking is still on going, he has gotten better with it. Working on spending more time with him and improving his diet. I am back to my line of work during business hours 8-5 but he is still plucking, its been 5 months. I'm open for suggestions.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try shreddable toys. Paper, junk mail, a bowl with toy parts set on the cage floor. Jengo doesn't pluck, she nips the tips off her feathers on her neck & chest. It can be a battle trying to figure out why & get them to stop.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Toy oh good idea! I have a photo of him chewing up a Geico flyer from the newspaper! I don't think he pulls feathers out, he nips them when they start to grow in, same area, neck and chest. His left wing molted a year ago and its been hell getting the feathers back. I've increased his showers on the weekends and that is helping. Wish I could do it during the week but I work.