• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost our baby of 1 year and don't know what to do.

JTrain

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
JT
Good day all! I’m not sure if posts like this are allowed of if they make everyone sad but I don’t know what else to do. Sorry for the long post but I feel I just have to do something to try and feel better. You don’t have to respond or read it, but any words of encouragement would be helpful for us.

We lost our (wifes) parrotlet last night. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know why it’s hitting me so hard. It stayed in her office and I only helped feed and play with it. We haven't even had him a year yet (sorry couldn't figure out how to fix title). We bought him at a HERPS convention from a local pet store. We never knew they existed till we walked into the convention and heard the strange noises coming from across the hall. We wanted to see what made that noise and walked our way over and found 3 little parrotlets and fell in love immediately. We both fell in love with the goofiest one and brought him home with us that day. In the car ride hide I made a comment that he looked “strange/unhealthy” but he seemed fine. Feathers looked a little off and his beak looked strange but he was tweeting and crawling all over the cage. I didn’t know anything about them but we have other birds (budgies, finches, conure) and thought because she said he was only a couple months old he was still growing into them.

We did the cage thing and let him adjust and slowy added more toys. He was always super skittish and never let us get close for attention. We got him a bigger cage because they one they sent us home with was temporary. Months went by and he still wouldn’t come close. He made the cutest cheeps and chips. We had him eating mash of fruits/veggies with Harrison mash mix and he loved it. He was also a messy little bird and flung food everywhere. He had such a personality. He would climb all over the cage and squawk at time. He bonded with the wife more even though he never let her hold him, you could tell when I entered the room and he would back up and when she came in he would chat with her. She tried to open the cage and he came out a couple of times but he would fly so fast and hard into stuff and he would be panting and he would fall behind stuff. It was an ordeal we didn’t like to see him go through. Being that stress of things can hurt or kill birds easily. He seemed content in cage. He loved sitting on the highest perch, or nibbling on his little rope toys.

He never plucked, he never tore stuff up. He seemed content sitting there in his cage. He would throw weird chip twirp fits every now and then when left alone till we called to him and then he calmed down. He would eat like a pig and never clean his beak, and I don’t think he ever took a bath. Could he have been inbred or doomed from the start from bad breeding? The more we think about it now the more we think something was off about him. We loved him soo much and his personality although quirky made him unique. We would reach out to him and he would sit in his cage and stretch out his neck and open his beak slowly and close it slow like he was trying to nibble us from away. But when we got to close he would skitter away or flap freak out. But he seemed happy. He ate, chatted, played with his toys. I had just started putting a small tablet in the room for him next to us to watch other parrotlets to see they weren’t scary and to let him know he wouldn’t be hurt by us. He seemed intrigued and would get closer to the cage when we left to watch this other bird but he would still be spooked by us. We thought every bird was different and that he was on a different timeline so we had no problem waiting till he was ready. We never made it to that time.

I work at home and he sleeps in a little later than the rest of us so I went in there Friday morning to say good morning and do the morning feeding when I couldn’t find him. I then found him on the bottom of the cage with his right wing (looked broken and flipped up and around so it looked like his feathers were stuck and sticking out of him. I panicked for a second and went to check on him and didn’t see any blood but saw some feathers in the corner. We think he got spooked or stuck and broke it trying to get out. We think a mouse or small rat got into the office because of some poop we found under her desk and some things moved out of place. Not sure what time he actually broke his wing though. I text and called the wife and let her know and she came home from work to help me take him to the vet (only 1 car at the moment thanks COVID). That damn bird was trying to still climb and try to fly to his perches. He landed hard on the bottom of the cage and started bleeding. This is where I began to worry even more. He was staying still if I stayed still so a little puddle of blood formed on the cage beneath him but looked like it stopped. I called the vet and they said to try and put pressure and stop it in case it started again. The thing is he would get skittish and try and fly away if I got close. I didn’t want him to race his heart more. Once the wife got home she was able to get him easier but not without a fight. Because of the Coronavirus our vet was about 30 minutes away. He loved the car ride to the vet. He kept wanting to climb around and look outside. It reminded us of the time we brought him home. As we got closer my wife (I was driving) noticed he was getting sleepy eyed and she had her finger and small towel on the wound for pressure. She begged him to stay awake and that we were almost there. We made it and they ran outside and got him and wrapped him temporarily and put him in an oxygen tank. Once stable they did a little exam and told us our options. Everything from euthanasia or full wing amputation depending on the damage but they needed to do an Xray first. We said yes and they did the Xray and said that it was the best outcome they could have hoped for and it wasn’t a broken wing, but the tendons and such by flight feathers and only needed a partial wing amputation. She said full ones can be dangerous due to the proximity of the airsacs. We agreed to the surgery once he was more stable and they performed it that night. They also found a fractured toe but couldn’t fix it so they amputated it and cauterized it. They clipped his other good wing to help him with balance and to keep from flying. They kept him in the oxygen tank for some odd hours until the surgery then they performed it and said he did well. They sent us a pic of him eating afterwords and said he would need to stay the night and we could get him the next morning. They called about 10:45a and we went to pick him up. She said he used a lot of energy to eat and move but was already being lethargic again and sleepy. The vet informed my us he may not make it. He rode home in my wifes hands and we got him setup in a smaller toweled box with low food and water and she left for work. He had trouble standing on the towel so it was easier for him to grip my fingers so I held him most of the day. There would be times he would sleep and then wake up for a couple seconds to eat or drink or nibble at my hand then conked back out. I thought it was combination of stress, meds, anesthesia, and he was just in and out of it. I know when I had appendicitis and was on morphine after the surgery I was in and out of it. From noon til he died at 5:52P I held him and loved on him. I talked to him, told him it would be ok. He would wake up and I let him take some water or drinks. I gave him lots of scritches. I won’t go into the traumatic details too much but at one point you know when it’s happening and it happened. I thought he was panicking at first as drugs were wearing off or something because he breathing seemed normal to me. I loosened his bandages just incase he was panicking but I think his body couldn’t take anymore. He did one last chirp and slowly closed his eyes and curled his toes in while I was holding him telling him I’m here for him and it was ok.

We let the vet know he passed and wouldn’t be there Monday for bandage removal. She said it was probably a combination of things and we did everything we could to save him. I still feel like a failure and it was my fault. What if I had gone to wake him up earlier that day? What If we made the wrong decision trying to save him and he went through more pain than he deserved? Should I have just chased and caught him in the cage before he fell and started bleeding? Did I hold him wrong after surgery for recovery? I kept the lights dim, the tv super lower, I had a heating pad on my lap and under a blanket to promote some warmth since the house wasn’t 80 degrees.

The vet said we were good and did everything right. Maybe we did maybe not. I know they have to say that. After hearing it would be an easy surgery such a weight was lifted off us and now it’s like it went higher up into the air to come crashing down harder. We lost a dog of 15+ years earlier this year and it didn’t hurt me this bad. Was it because I knew it was her time and it was coming? Why do I start crying like a baby when I walk by and see that empty cage? My wife’s office feels so empty. I can’t chat with him in passing anymore, my conure can’t go feed him with me anymore. I just feel broken. I feel stupid. Why am I being such a baby over this little bird? Was it because he was so young? He had such a long life of fun ahead of him. I feel I failed because it was my job to care for him and now he isn’t here.

Am I making justifications now in thinking he was bred wrong or had issues? Does anyone know if that can happen? Are we thinking like this trying to see if it makes me feel better? It doesn’t. We still loved that little bird. Crying as I type this. I have to clean out the food and poop from his cage but don’t want to tear it down yet. How do I stop being such a crybaby? Nothing makes me feel better at the moment and it’s driving me mad as to why I’m crying so much and why it hurts me. If you made it this far I appreciate it. Has anyone else gone through something like this.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My heart is sad for your grief. The only thing you can do is just let your grief run it's course. One day you smile when thinking of your tiny bird and that is when you will star to get better - never well, but better.

Fly high and free, little guy. You will forever be whole and healthy. Say hi for to all of the AA birds who have gone on before you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue, I am so sorry for you and your wifes loss. It is not easy losing a loved one.

That is a lot for such a little bird to go through, it is impossible to say if bad breeding is related, It is not something I would have thought, more, a bad series of unfortunate events.

I just feel broken. I feel stupid. Why am I being such a baby over this little bird? Was it because he was so young? He had such a long life of fun ahead of him. I feel I failed because it was my job to care for him and now he isn’t here.
I lost a chick in the nest just after Christmas a year ago, he was only 2 days old and I didn´t even know the bird, or have any memories with him, but me and my boyfriend sat on the floor as I held him and we cried.

It really is a sad thing for a creature so young to be taken away. It is nothing to feel stupid for - your bird should have lived a long life, but unfortunately it was not meant to be.

It is not your fault, nor is anyone to blame, it just happened. You really did the best you could racing him to the vet.

I have to clean out the food and poop from his cage but don’t want to tear it down yet. How do I stop being such a crybaby?
Last year, I raced a wild quaker parrot to the vet. Was only a young one, less than a year old. Cat had grabbed him and thrashed him around. Vet recommended amputating the wing after the Xray. Poor little guy didn´t make make it. Vet said cause of death was ¨extreme tauma¨. I went to collect my cage, and pay the bill. I left that cage out in a little area out the back of my kitchen for a long time before I could deal with cleaning it. Eventually I scrubbed and disinfected it and then gave it away because I didn´t want it around.
Take your time, there is no rush.

I wish you and your wife strength in your greiving journey.

JTrain

Real Name
JT
Thank you for your replies. I feel terrible thinking he was just sleepy or drugged when he was actually weaving in and out of consciousness fighting for his life. I feel like I should of rushed him back to the vet or ER clinic and placed him in the oxygen tank and stayed there next to him monitoring him. Everyone says I did the best thing for him but at this stage it doesn't feel I fought as hard to save him as he fought to live. I hope he knows we loved him and we weren't mean taking him to a strange place and left alone to be mutilated by strangers.

This has me worried now for our other birds as anyday could be there last. We tend to get ink paw prints of our animals that pass and was wondering if anyone knew some none toxic paint we could use for our birds that are living. I want to let them walk through it and walk across paper. We tried putting some on our parrotlet after he passed but it was hard with the feet curled and I didn't want to break his toes. :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have heard some vets will take an impression of passed birds feet.

I do not know any safe ideas for living birds - ( @Mizzely ?)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are a lot of homemade fingerpaint recipes online meant for very young children - usually they consist of cornstarch or flour, water, and food coloring. That would be safe I would think :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry about your loss. It may help that you wrote about this to bird lovers. Many of us have experienced bird loss before. Please dont look back and thi k you did something wrong. You will heal but with heart memories.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry for your loss. The size of the companion has no relation to how much we care. Allow yourself to grieve. Crying is healthy and nothing to feel ashamed of. I welcome you to continue to share those tears with us.

It is easy to play the what if game. I have been there too. When you are ready I hope you can celebrate the good memories.
:sadhug2:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I'm so sorry for your loss. Let yourself grieve how you need to, it's not something determined by logic.

Poor breeding can absolutely contribute to health issues, but tbh I think it was just the injury and the surgery. I'm not a vet, but I do agree with yours when they said you did everything right. The thing is, the surgery was something your little guy needed, but any surgery is extremely dangerous for a parrotlet. Anesthesia is more dangerous for birds than mammals, and such a large surgery would be shocking to the system as well. Surgery is especially risky on parrotlets due to their size. Sometimes even if the initial surgery goes well, they don't make it through recovery. Again, I'm not a vet, but it sounds like that's what happened here. I'm sorry.

So much love to you and your wife in this difficult time.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
So so sorry for your loss. I have lost 2 of them in the last 3 years and now my lovie just over 2 weeks ago. It is the hardest thing to accept, process, and live with that I have ever had to go through, when it comes to a pet. Do not deny your feelings, as they are totally natural and normal. I only had my Mugsey for 3.5 months and I still tear up over it. Time has nothing to do with it as they capture your heart so fast.

I am also on talkparrotlets.com, a site dedicated to p’letts and I was able to read posts from people that went through and are still going through this and it helped enormously. Only bird people can give that type of support so please don’t hesitate to visit there and here and talk about your sweet baby, it may not seem like it but it does help.

We can all promise that though it does not seem like it, it does get better litttle bit by little bit after a while.

Been there, done that and was hoping to never go through that again, until I put my name down for a GCC. so back on the horse I will get.....

All the best and keeping you both in my thoughts... :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

BirdWorld

I’m so sorry about your bird.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry for the loss of your little one. :( I suspect it was just too much stress on him. He was likely in shock but still trying to fight as hard as he could, and it was just too much. That is often the case because as strong as birds can be, they are also so delicate and cannot afford to lose much blood.

I don’t think it’s strange that you’re grieving his loss at all. They’re such intelligent, expressive little beings with such big personalities. I cried my eyes out over my cranky, bitey little parakeet named Diggie that I had to euthanize due to tumors. She was 14 and had been with me pretty much her whole life, and was an ornery little cuss almost the whole time, but I loved that little bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug2:
So very sorry for your loss. Grieving the loss of a feathered friend/family member is very normal. The grieving process will begin to fade but happy, positive memories of your little one will always be with you.

JTrain

Real Name
JT
Thanks again all. I will check that other site as out as well! Writing it out and have words of encouragement from many others is helping. I was doing alot better today but it's been a whirlwind. I don't know what you guys believe but our parrotlet came to me in a dream last night and brought the most overwhelming since of peace I have felt since this order started. I wanted him to visit me and tell me he was happy with us and that we did the right thing. But in this dream was just an utter feeling of peace. My wife says they may not speak the words we want to hear but he let me felt like he feels. No pain and no more sorry, just at peace. He didn't tell me persay but the words "I have to go take care of my brothers now, they need comfort" was the only thing I could remember before I woke up. He was one of 3 we adopted out so I wonder how his brothers are. Just out of curiosity I contacted the place we got him from just to see if they were still there but they weren't. I hope he can comfort them where ever they are. I will await his arrival to me again just to let me know we did well so I can finally rest peacefully.

When I went into my office this morning I checked on my GCC and notice his back tailfeathers were all bent. He lost 3 in total. I started to panic again and looked for blood or anything but couldn't find anything. I've been monitoring him all day and he seems fine. There were no blood on the feathers he dropped. I did find poop on the floor and my trash dug in. I tore apart the office and my closet and a giant rat came out. I googled his looks and poop and it was a Norway rat. That rodent came into my office after we had cleaned the food out of the other office where our parrotlet was. We are now sure he harassed our parrotlet because he never had night terrors or spooks before. We have gotten traps, repellent, etc and got a baby monitor to put in with the GCC in case he startles in the night we can go comfort him. Our mission is to7 avenge our poor parrotlet and make sure this rat doesn't take out my GCR as well. Please wish us luck and that no one harm will come to our family.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are humane traps you can get that will trap the rat, then you can take him away and let him out far away from your house. He must be the one causing the night frights, but I worry because I hear they can attack birds. Could you maybe move the cage somewhere else? Upstairs or something until the rat is away?

Your dream sounds nice. Very comforting. I hope you see him in another dream. I am very glad this brought you peace :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@JTrain We had a very happy rat living in our storage area. He figured out how to get into the chicken food. I purchased a metal container and moved the food into that. The rat no longer had a food source and he moved on. He made himself very at home, chewed into a chair we had in storage.

If you can identify the source of food it may help in finding a solution. Where there is one rat there can be a whole colony, so finding the food source and securing it is the best way to discourage the rat family. I would even check your waste receptacles outside and if you have close neighbors maybe even as them to check if they have anything the rat can be getting.

I like the idea of the baby monitor. There may also be a way you can prevent the rat from accessing your GCC's area. Do you have a round table with a single leg? The rat would not be able to climb upside down. Even a small metal one something like the picture. Until you know the rat is gone positioning the Bird on a table like this moved away from the wall or other climbing possibilities, it would prevent the rat from being close to your bird. Rats are pretty good at climbing, but they aren't supernatural. This should help!
OIP.jpg

Edit::
The idea is inspired by traditional rat prevention. Notice the footings.
6d73b8172a56ff9d0bd3437d60253d2c.jpg

Last edited:

Dorcas George

Oh man...we all feel for you. I'm so sorry. He sounds quirky but was so cute! I don't know what it is about birds, but sometimes they just touch us in a unique way, I think. I'm so very sorry you lost him in such a sad way. I love the dream. God works in mysterious ways, I think, and we know so little. I am glad it helped.

:bighug: :sorrow:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We certainly all feel for you, I'm torn all to pieces just reading the thread. I missed this because I went to see my folks and just got back.

I'm so sorry you lost your little one, but really GLAD you have found the culprit. Ugh.

I think dreams like those are visions, given to help us have comfort. :sadhug2: