• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lost budgie outdoors 4th day HELP PLEASE

Budgiebabymama

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
20181123_101402.jpg Desperate for ANY HELP or advice will do all we can. My husband and I gave had Jojo since June--he was born in April. Got him from the local Pet Supplies Plus-- long story short, we are absolutely in love. We have built our life around him, he has the run of our home and he loves us both. If one of us is home, let alone both, Jojo is out....and usually on our head, finger, shoulder, chest or running down our arm....you get the idea. He was very tame
We sing to him and talk to him constantly and he chattered nonstop and knew some phrases also.

Cut to Dec.13th. I would happily choke my husband except he is as utterly destroyed as I am. Jojo got out Dec 13--this is very early morning Dec 16th as I type.It has gotten as low as 17 degrees Fahrenheit the other night only supposed to be 25-30 last night and has been 40 in the day. Well above normal for here in upper Michigan, US or northern Wi where we live(on border) we both looked and called for 3-4 hours until dark 1st day-- Craig had to work 2nd day but I called in and was out from daylight 7am until 4pm dark driving slowly everywhere, getting out often, calling......nothing
Craig said he felt dread as he just BOLTED originally...he was so frightened:'(
I'm asking you to please refrain from judgment just now...Craig made a mistake and we both feel utterly destroyed. Posting it here might even help just as fellow bird lovers will understand. We can't stop crying. He is SUCH an incredibly sweet sweet baby and we have utterly failed him.

For the FIRST TIME since Thursday afternoon when he got out, yesterday at 3 or 330pm a FB friend was "almost positive" she saw him...she didnt know he was missing until seeing my 4th or 5th FB post w pics...she was working at a BP station and noticed a bird which looked unlike any she had seen. Said from what she could see of it looked "identical" to our pictures. I am still upset, sad, worried but it's the 1st time I've not felt completely hopeless since dark Thursday.

My questions: The location she spotted him is 25 miles by car 15-18 in a straight line, flying etc from where we live. He WAS completely disoriented it was obvious....is it possible or credible he could have gone that far in that time??

Is it likely on this 4th day, after 3 nights outdoor he *could have made it....?? I'm awake at 3am(it's ow just past 4 here) just trying to get ANY advice. He has to.work later this morning but I'm off. We are taking separate cars so I can stay longer and at 630 am, an hour before sunrise, driving over to that area at least to TRY. It's something.:(

I suppose I have some hope as she was fairly sure...and also because she saw him an hour before dark.....but I dont know where to begin looking....if he had an hour before he would be roosting....he could have gotten anywhere in that time....?

I would think.our poor baby would be hungry and exhausted by now :'(

This has just completely shattered our hearts. It doesn't feel dramatic to say that. If he died we would have been extremely upset....but not like it happening in THIS way knowing he is scared, cold, hungry and that we have failed him so badly. It is just wrenching.

I have his little cage out with the stand and a blanket just in case. Will be loading his cage w his fave veggies...broccoli and cilantro plus millet and avicake before we go.....but we are just desperate for our own sighting of him.

Is he likely to remember us and want to come on this 4th day?? That worries me greatly as he was completely in love with us and vice versa. He loved us both but prob 60/40 tipped toward my husband....as he was always home hours before I was from work.

I'm begging for any thoughts or helpful advice please! We only got him as we wanted him to bond to US and that he did. He already has gifts under the tree. Maybe fellow bird lovers or if you have ever had anything like this happen(probably not) :'( will know what I mean when I say life seems utterly devoid of joy atm. We are just lifeless without our baby Jojo.

Please please help with any advice

I have this all over social media and on a couple lost pet sites... that first night after dark. Had no way to print fliers so havent yet...not bcs I don't care. If he was sited going to shoot it to the roof. Already made a new FB pist to those area friends and have it on FB marketplace and several buy sell trade sites as In Search Of.....we offered a reward. 250$ is all we can afford. In reality, we would easily pay much more no matter what.

Mostly wondering the answers to above questions and any advice for capture. Where we live here is very rural.:'( Many ppl feed birds outdoors erc... but lots ax nd lots of woods and trees and back roads so just hard to know. He could be in the middle if a woods and never hear us, that's why I was so elated at the ***possibility **** of a sighting in town.

Jojo is a primarily white budgie w blue on his underbelly/back and black on his face and wings.

Any help? Please? THANK YOU! View attachment 292452

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think your main concern should be getting word and pictures out.
Keep up the social media, can you possibly get any television time on the news?
I'd say print those flyers somehow! Get them out in gas stations and stores.
Stand outside of churches with a poster/fliers, or get the head of the church to make an announcement.
Kids will be out of school now and they are outdoors and noticing things, get kids to know and look.
And many hugs and the very best of luck to you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you set up a cage outside? Also you can play the sound of other budgies outside your house to help get your little cutie interested in coming home. I pray he comes back home.

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
have you posted on any facebook groups for lost and found parrots. there 911 parrot alert.

have you played budgie sounds outside from youtube. or if you have videos of him playing or making sounds I would play them.

Budgiebabymama

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Have done all the things in the bottom two posts...but you didn't know that, so thank you for your replies. I need to get the fliers somehow. We are out now, no luck, will try at least...until dark. We are just heartbroken.:'( Thanks again (yes, btw...registered on one site which was free and one which cost me 15$ but that's ok no big deal.We'd pay a lot to have him home.:'(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that your baby will return home to you. Sending positive thoughts for his return!

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Budgies are being found all the time it seems..I think they're good at surviving.
I'll paste info I give to lost bird ads..

Hi, I'm so sorry your bird escaped :(
Put fliers up and alert vets/pet stores/animal shelters within 25-30 miles. Birds can fly far when scared unfortunately but most seem to stick around in that range for a few weeks. Also post on Parrot Alert, it's an amazing site for lost birds. If you use Facebook post in the community group for your area and pet related groups.

Put a spare cage out with propped door open on top of a bright color towel to make it easily visible to your bird if they're in the area. Won't hurt to put some treats in it too.
Play calls of the species your bird is or make noises it likes and would respond to.

Before the sun rises is when birds are getting up and ready to move so a good time to look. At night they will likely tuck in and go to sleep, staying quiet to avoid predator attention.

I hope you find them!