• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Loss of toes/foot (either)

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I’m not entirely sure this belongs here although worst case scenario he will belong here. If not, can the mod please redirect?

Story is my goffins had an unfortunate incident where his tendon got sliced and he’s unable to use his left foot. It appears that his two larger toes still have their nerves connected but he didn’t make a peep with the two smaller ones. The vet told me to give it a month to see how it progresses (it’s been 1.5 weeks now). Asked me to help move his toes in the meantime, open them up, some PT work. I‘m wondering if anyone here has had a loss of toes but not the foot and how they’ve managed to rehabilitate. Worst case would be that he doesn’t manage to use his lame foot effectively and they amputate it. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the month to see if nerve growth happens or just if he gets better mobility?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he'll be okay. (I have a goffin too.) I'm sure others will be able to offer some advice, etc.

@Birdbabe ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper had two toes amputated (the two rear toes) on her left foot, due to extreme arthritis. The joints in both toes had turned to mush. It was a blessing for her, because we could then control the pain - where it could not be controlled before. She even walked better.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My little Kiwi is missing a toe, got a friggin carpet fiber wrapped around it,.tried to get it off, by the time I got to the vet around 24 hours later, it started to " self amputate ", so my vet removed the toe,, hes fine now, they adapt, physical therapy is good, do that with him.. if he has feeling in the front two, that's great, if he still has any feeling in the back two, that's even better! You'll have to take it day by day,,,pinch those toes,,not hard, but to see if he feels it. Also check to feel warmth , not hot, not cold in that foot and all toes..If he needs them removed, hopefully not,,he will learn to use his foot normally in time,,Is he on any anti inflammatory meds ? The tendon may or may heal, but nerves can..Hope he will be ok..

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
My Jasper had two toes amputated (the two rear toes) on her left foot, due to extreme arthritis. The joints in both toes had turned to mush. It was a blessing for her, because we could then control the pain - where it could not be controlled before. She even walked better.
That’s good to hear, it’s always comforting to know that the outcome ends up increasing their quality of life. He’s been limping with his foot sideways today (he’s ripped off the toe bandage the vet put on due to it turning raw). I’m hoping that won’t cause any issues, not quite sure why he switched to half dragging his foot. I feel awful at the end of the day. I took him to give him a better life and he ends up maimed instead :(.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
My little Kiwi is missing a toe, got a friggin carpet fiber wrapped around it,.tried to get it off, by the time I got to the vet around 24 hours later, it started to " self amputate ", so my vet removed the toe,, hes fine now, they adapt, physical therapy is good, do that with him.. if he has feeling in the front two, that's great, if he still has any feeling in the back two, that's even better! You'll have to take it day by day,,,pinch those toes,,not hard, but to see if he feels it. Also check to feel warmth , not hot, not cold in that foot and all toes..If he needs them removed, hopefully not,,he will learn to use his foot normally in time,,Is he on any anti inflammatory meds ? The tendon may or may heal, but nerves can..Hope he will be ok..
Aww I hope Kiwi is doing well without a toe. They do adapt very well, and Jeff is a quick learner so my fingers are crossed. I’ve been holding his foot and prying them open as PT, he doesn’t allow me to place objects in it. Yes I’ll try pinching the other toes in a few days, two out of the four is better than nothing! He’s managed to use his foot as a cup holder which is great, at least it’s being utilized. He’s holding a little French toast there that he’s managed to stuff between his toes.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, I tried like mad to keep my two (Hank and Jasper) alive forever, but they both died. Hank in 2012 and jasper one month ago.

You have nothing to feel bad for. Just give him the very best you have in you from now on.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
Well, I tried like mad to keep my two (Hank and Jasper) alive forever, but they both died. Hank in 2012 and jasper one month ago.

You have nothing to feel bad for. Just give him the very best you have in you from now on.
I’m so sorry, that cannot be easy :( I’m sure they lived their lives happily with you. Maybe not forever but you sound like a fantastic parront. I believe while we can’t make their lives perfect, we can try to give our best - like you said - and make them as happy and comfortable while they’re in our captivity :heart: . Have you thought about adding to the family or rest for now?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm 80 years old and that is a big decision to make. I have some family stuff and I have to get cataracts removed, so that will give me time to mull it over. Yes, I want another bird very badly, but will I be fair to the bird?

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I'm 80 years old and that is a big decision to make. I have some family stuff and I have to get cataracts removed, so that will give me time to mull it over. Yes, I want another bird very badly, but will I be fair to the bird?
Perhaps fostering could be a fair situation for both you and the bird. It would certainly be fulfilling.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I actually was going to PM you about this- I don't mean to hijack the thread. But there are so many senior birds out there in need of good homes. I think one would be very lucky to have you. :) And also the fostering suggestion, is a good one too.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I actually was going to PM you about this- I don't mean to hijack the thread. But there are so many senior birds out there in need of good homes. I think one would be very lucky to have you. :) And also the fostering suggestion, is a good one too.
I agree or perhaps you could be a long term foster! I think a baby would be blessed to be with you for any length of time.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a red fronted macaw that only has one foot. I don’t know the details but he lost it 2 days post hatching. He’s never really known a world with both feet, but we make adjustments to help him out. He’s got both legs but he obviously can’t eat with his foot. We have his food and water dish on a platform that he can stand on while eating. He eats directly from the bowl and doesn’t throw his food around. He steps up without a problem and flies well.

He doesn’t know that he’s different so the only leeway he gets that the other macaws don’t is using his beak on me. He’s always gentle and uses inky enough pressure to keep himself stable.

take it slow with Jeff and let him figure out how what works for him. He will figure it out and then you can start to make adjustments that make things easier for him.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I have a red fronted macaw that only has one foot. I don’t know the details but he lost it 2 days post hatching. He’s never really known a world with both feet, but we make adjustments to help him out. He’s got both legs but he obviously can’t eat with his foot. We have his food and water dish on a platform that he can stand on while eating. He eats directly from the bowl and doesn’t throw his food around. He steps up without a problem and flies well.

He doesn’t know that he’s different so the only leeway he gets that the other macaws don’t is using his beak on me. He’s always gentle and uses inky enough pressure to keep himself stable.

take it slow with Jeff and let him figure out how what works for him. He will figure it out and then you can start to make adjustments that make things easier for him.
Yours sounds like a happy buggar, it’s so much better to have been born tragic than to experience a tragedy, I feel.

I’m taking it very slow. He still sleeps in my room with plenty of padding and I make sure padding is everywhere he sits. I can’t tell how much is discomfort and how much is actual pain, many times he tries to use his lame foot to step up but ends up stopping and trying to move forward with his good foot. It’s been two weeks now with no movement, and since the follow up a week ago, he now walks on the side of his foot (I’d asked the vet to bandage his middle talon that was rubbed raw, knowing he’d tear it off. Oddly enough, since picking it off, he’s changed how he leans on it).

It’s frustrating and depressing to see him struggle but he’s made do so far. The living situation is a nightmare. He’s tried to go on his cages play top a few days after the accident and realized he couldn’t balance himself and since, has refused to go near it. May I ask how the set up for yours is? I know getting Jeffrey to the bottom of the cage will be damn near impossible, I haven’t quite figured out the transition of his recovery in my room to having him sleep independently, covered. I’m going through some issues and recently had a friend go missing so my mental state has been a wreck. Even with my lights off, I know I disturb his sleep with my laptop (but when I leave the room, he immediately screams for me all night so I’m forced to be with him). Life isn’t so great right now lol.

Attachments

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I got him the previous owner told me that he's special needs, he just doesn't know it. Having never experienced life with two feet, he managed pretty well. His biggest disadvantage is that he can't use his feet to eat with. The only accomodation we've made for him is to put a corner platform in his cage and put the food and water dishes on that. That gives him space to stand on while he eats and drinks. He's a very clean eater since he has to eat directly out of the bowl. He doesn't fling or throw food that he doesn't like. It just gets pushes out of the way. He's also figured out that he can rest on the platform when he gets tired. I check his foot as often as he will let me so I can make sure he doesn't have any pressure sores or abrasions.

It's not the end of the world. I've seen a cockatoo that had her back broken and she lost the use of both legs. Once she recovered she learned to adapt and gets around just fine. She climbs around on a play stand using just her beak and wings. She crawls up to her food dishes to eat and drink. The dishes are on the bottom of the play stand and bolted down so they don't move when she tries to eat. The bottom has velcro on it and is covered with a puppy pad so it can be cleaned up quickly after she goes to the bathroom. The owners made things that work for her. Once you get past the healing you'll be able to find ways to adapt his environment for him. You may need to provide more things for him to grip with his beak so he can move around easier. I'm sure he will make it clear what works for him and what doesn't. Far be it for a cockatoo to keep an option to themselves :) It sounds like you both need each other to work through the tough times right now.

Attachments

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
When I got him the previous owner told me that he's special needs, he just doesn't know it. Having never experienced life with two feet, he managed pretty well. His biggest disadvantage is that he can't use his feet to eat with. The only accomodation we've made for him is to put a corner platform in his cage and put the food and water dishes on that. That gives him space to stand on while he eats and drinks. He's a very clean eater since he has to eat directly out of the bowl. He doesn't fling or throw food that he doesn't like. It just gets pushes out of the way. He's also figured out that he can rest on the platform when he gets tired. I check his foot as often as he will let me so I can make sure he doesn't have any pressure sores or abrasions.

It's not the end of the world. I've seen a cockatoo that had her back broken and she lost the use of both legs. Once she recovered she learned to adapt and gets around just fine. She climbs around on a play stand using just her beak and wings. She crawls up to her food dishes to eat and drink. The dishes are on the bottom of the play stand and bolted down so they don't move when she tries to eat. The bottom has velcro on it and is covered with a puppy pad so it can be cleaned up quickly after she goes to the bathroom. The owners made things that work for her. Once you get past the healing you'll be able to find ways to adapt his environment for him. You may need to provide more things for him to grip with his beak so he can move around easier. I'm sure he will make it clear what works for him and what doesn't. Far be it for a cockatoo to keep an option to themselves :) It sounds like you both need each other to work through the tough times right now.
He’s beautiful - you wouldn’t even know he is one footed! Well, assuming the other foot is tucked in... permanently. Very much appreciate your response, we indeed are each other’s support system right now. He’s coming back to normal now, hoping and dancing too (although the hopping does stress me out). The platform makes good sense and I had actually been concerned that his one foot must be so tired from doing all the work. Throughout the day I cuddle him on my lap and hand and he rests both his feet. He’ll only cradle in my hand, however, he won’t lean on anything else I set up. As long as his good foot gets some rest, I imagine it’s exhausting depending on it when he’s lived with 2 for 11 years.

I’m doing the same, trying to check and do PT when he allows me to touch his foot. I’m supposed to be doing PT but he doesn’t like me grabbing it...unless I’m giving scritches lol. He no longer eats in my room but I’ve set him to eat in the kitchen on the counter which I’ve padded. Still foraging as usual, slinging food onto the ground and purposely sometimes to annoy me off haha. It sounds like these babies have recovered fine... they really are resilient creatures, thankfully. I know he will be ok, it’s just difficult for me to watch and observe his struggling. He’s been trying to fly as well, short distances only so far, as his method of transport too which is good (but not good since he’s not trained lol). I guess it feels esp overwhelming as I’d just gotten him barely over 2 months ago but I know he will be fine :) He has it good compared to the other. A broken back AND legs :( sounds very horrible! I’m happy she’s doing well and managed to adjust well. As long as they are happy and healthy is all that matters to me.