• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing Feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

acortese86

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amanda
I came home from work today and noticed that Penny had lost like 3 feathers. The last few weeks she has grown some new ones in and I know she is molting, so losing these feathers normal? (I think they are chest feathers)

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
My birds are molting right now. Are you seeing bare spots in her chest?

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi Amanda--you live in the same climate I do, & my SC Nicky is just beginning his moult, which (if like last year) will last, in spurts, until October! I have so far only seen the flooofies that keep them warn (can't remember what they're called.) He'll lose the colored feathers starting next month. You know, I don't even know what triggers a moult, whether it's hours of daylight, temperature, or what. Anybody know? :confused:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Sounds like molting. My budgie is molting incredibly bad right now! Seems birds all do it at different times.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We have just gotten over the major part of the molt over here for the conures and hahns. Make sure the feather ends are clean and the feather is undamaged if you're worried.

acortese86

Real Name
Amanda
I know they molt around 6-7 months and she started just over a month ago, when she was 7 months. She started losing her feathers under her wings but the ones I noticed yesterday where bigger. I was hoping she was finishing up with this molt because she has been such a brat. The past few days she has been acting a little better so was hoping it was done. How bad do they lose feathers during a molt?? And does it really last months like that?

acortese86

Real Name
Amanda
She doesnt have any damaged feathers, except for her tail feathers. She has NONE right now and the vet thinks it was due to stress and her being in the pet store before I got her. They are starting to grow back and look better.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Neelix's first molt was not very big at all around 5-6 months. He's molting a little right now, losing some feathers here and there and he even lost two big tail feathers. He also molted out some flighties and is growing in nice uncut ones very nicely. I noticed that my cockatiels seem to molt all at once and have a ton of feathers while Neelix just drops a few here and there while he's molting, not sure if it's just a conure thing or a young thing or even just a Neelix thing lol.

acortese86

Real Name
Amanda
Neelix's first molt was not very big at all around 5-6 months. He's molting a little right now, losing some feathers here and there and he even lost two big tail feathers. He also molted out some flighties and is growing in nice uncut ones very nicely. I noticed that my cockatiels seem to molt all at once and have a ton of feathers while Neelix just drops a few here and there while he's molting, not sure if it's just a conure thing or a young thing or even just a Neelix thing lol.
That pretty much sounds like what Penny is doing right now, just dropping a few here and there. I just hope it doesnt last very long, but she seems to be happier lately.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Be prepared. Frankie has been moulting for a couple of months now. He has lost some chesties as he is getting yellow instead of the green he had. Frankie is VERRYY moody but he still loves me :) I fell asleep yesterday when he was out on my bed ( he must of flown to his playtop to do a poo) and when I woke up he was snuggling under my neck sleeping! :DHe just mad me feel loved since he has been biting a lot latly.
Sun's will be happy some days, and aggressive other days when it comes to moulting. I thought Frankie stopped but today and yesterday we found like 15 feathers. :huh:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm not sure how long sun conures molt for, but I know it took a couple of months for Piper to complete her first molt. It was never really heavy, but I'd find a few feathers every day or so on the bottom of the cage.

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
The dandruff is probably the sheath material breaking up.

Our Mango who is barely a year old has only a couple and mangled tail feathers. Some of them know how to swing their bottoms, others just swing it aimlessly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.