• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing Feathers - NOT a Molt! Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Emma, our rescue budgie, just started losing feathers like crazy over the last day or so. She was molting, but now she's actually going bald in spots like the top of her head and she's lost flights to the point where she can't gain height.

She is overweight, with xanthomas on her chest; she had those when she came to us back in November, but she was nicely feathered. Tonight when I took her out just to examine her, feathers were falling out everytime I touched her. I've never seen this before, and I can be sure from the way they were falling out by the touch of my hand that it's not Max overpreening her.

I understand vet care is necessary and such, but for right now while I wait to see my vet, does anyone know anything about this??? Any help would be appreciated :(

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm so sorry. How long have you had her?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Just since November, but she's about 5 years old is what we were told.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it may be to late but I would quarintine her away from your other birds and see a vet asap :hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'll be calling first thing tomorrow...I was just hoping someone had some idea so I could possibly sleep tonight.

At best, I believe it may be her poor nutrition causing her to be unable to replace the feathers in a timely fashion. This is my first molt with her, so I have no idea how she progressed before.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I hope that is all it is also please report the vets results :hug8:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
to be honest it sounds like a french molt - something a bird will never get rid of

Clinical signs of French molt usually appear about five to six weeks of age when the young birds are ready to leave the nest. Excessive molting and occasional breakage of wing and tail feathers occur at this time or shortly after the birds have been flying for a few days. The degree of feather loss reflects the severity of the disease. In severe cases, the secondary flight feathers are also lost while in the most severe cases, nearly all body feathers are shed. Since affected birds are usually unable to fly, they are known as "runners", "creepers", or "crawlers".

French Molt: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for the links. I always thought French molt happened to a young bird, and from there on out they had feather issues. Emma is supposedly 5 years old, and looked completely normal feather-wise up to this point. She used to be able to fly normally as well.

I did have her tested for PBFD while she was in quarantine, and while I know that there's a chance it could've been wrong, her symptoms don't sound like PBFD thank goodness.

She has a vet appointment tomorrow at 2:30, so I will update what he has to say then. Til then, please say a little prayer for my chubby budgie. I love her so....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope you get good news tomorrow, Andrea. :hug5:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
praying for good news :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just seeing this...good luck with the appt tomorrow...let us know what you find out.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck, Andrea :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.