• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing feathers and used ones

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hi guys!

My lovebird is losing feathers. Nothing to worry this happens ever year. But this time he lost a lot on his tail and the new ones are growing in weird angles. He is also at an age were he likes to release a lot of tension apparently lol. And by hopping on a cushion some feathers now seem to be more used and less healthy. Should I be concerned about this or is this all normal. He usually has perfect feathers so im concerned a bit. Thanks

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have seen my birds have a feather poking out like the one in the second picture. I don´t know if it is because they are moulting or if they have knocked it out of line, but it soon goes.

If you are unsure, you can visit your vet for a check up - especially if you think they don´t look healthy.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
I have seen my birds have a feather poking out like the one in the second picture. I don´t know if it is because they are moulting or if they have knocked it out of line, but it soon goes.

If you are unsure, you can visit your vet for a check up - especially if you think they don´t look healthy.
I dont think he looks unhealthy. He is actually really healthy as far as I know. Im just concerned about the festhers on his tail but if youve seen it and its normal then Im not worried. I think is feathers are a bit used too from his time spent hopping on cushions too lol.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can try offering a bath :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was looking through my phone for pictures of my birds like that but I can´t find any.
I just came across a video posted by @DoubleTake and noticed his lovie has a tail feather out of place, Video - Saturday bath day with slo-mo | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum (the first video, just a few seconds in). That is how I have seen my birds feathers in the past. Just so you can compare.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for posting pictures, Hopefully it will help Laurie.

@Zara always picking in Loki.
Don´t lie, I don´t always pick on Loki :laugh: I was searching for images of my birds this morning and couldn´t find any, and none are like this currently, so I spotted it straight away in your video. I don´t know if they are just knocked out of line, or ready to moult or are new feathers, but it doesn´t last long.
You know I love sweet little Loki ❤

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aoife has had some tail feathers grow in weird. They kind of will look like a plant sprout, curled a bit and then as they grow in and lose the keratin sheeth they "go into place."

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Alright!! Thanks for you help guys! It does help me a lot! Im pretty sure its just a molt too. Especially because Buckbeak is grumpy these days. We can barely touch him. He will come to us and nip our fingers when he actually wants to be pet or head scratches. I think the used feather might be because of hormones too...its weird to say I know, but he must be using them by rubbing himself on the sofa and things like that! . Since its only his tail that looks like that im less worried about disease. He takes lots of bath too and eats well. I think i got worries for nothing.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hopefully it is just nothing. Monitor him and see how you get on :)