• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lory/Lorikeet Roll Call

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
Wow so pretty. Never heard of this species, so I googled them. Very nice! Is Darby your first Lory?
I had only ever met one in real life before Darby. He is my first Lory, but a Duvy was dream bird for years, and my situation recently became more in my favor regarding birds. I did a LOAD of research before getting him (as much as I could find anyways, there isn't much in the way of duvys out there). I've had him for a little over a month now. He is wonderful and I would highly recommend a Duvy to anyone looking into Lories:D

missbritt1969

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brittany
Name:Lucy
DOH: 4/15/2012
DNA: Female
Species: Green Naped Lorikeet

47236_3717947117734_1404756827_n.jpg
538517_3651934147451_1997495591_n.jpg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Lucy is beautiful!

Matt

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Name: Darwin
D.O.H: Unknown, only a couple of months old though
Species: Black capped lory

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
The Black Caps sure are gorgeous! And he so looks like a Darwin :D

What's funny is that the colors are what drew me into the world of lories...but I ended up with one of the most boring looking (to most people) ones out there :lol:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Thank! I do not think Duvys are bland! They're stunning :D

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
Thank! I do not think Duvys are bland! They're stunning :D
I love how different they are!!! But I can't even tell you how many times I've heard "That's a parrot?? He's not even pretty!" :rolleyes: For anyone not into parrots a Duvy doesn't compare to a rainbow or black cap! :lol:But to me, and I'm sure to all of you, he is breathtaking :heart:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I really really really like Dusky lories. They're not as colourful as the black cap, oh and a black lory too! I have been emailing the guy who sold me Darwin, and I just found out he breeds dusky as well so I'll be asking him about those soon-ish ;)

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Sweet babies! Aren't you afraid of Mosquitos biting them and them contacting an illness? I just think I am a worry wart but it can happen.
Mosquitos are not out in the hot part of day..their enclosure is covered so no i dont worry and the joy they get from being out is so satifing.IMO my birds are so muh healthyer when they can breathe the fresh air and get out of the enclosed house even with air filters can you imagine never going outside to enjoy a day where you can actually play,not just sit in a lil area...My Lorys and birds make my heart sing when i can give them as much space and freedom outside as i can outside...:D:heart::hug8:

LynnClaire

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
Hi I am considering a lori
can you give me some pros and cons?
do you consider them loud
is the poop as troublesome as people say?
thanks

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pros: They are very playful, friendly, active, and social, they are just so much fun to have around, and they can be such a lovable little bird.
Cons: They are super poopers! :lol: As you might know already, when they poop, they squirt, and it can go quite a long distance — but, the best way to make cleaning up much easier is to have Vinyl Plastic mats (http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/121014/208r1/5653f40_20.jpeg) under the cage, and if near walls, have one on each wall, otherwise they will poop on the walls (and anything else close-by)! They are also pretty messy (food wise as well as poop wise), we have to clean Tookie’s cage every two days, and usually we will wipe it down with unscented baby wipes if it gets too messy before every second day of needing cleaning.

Tookie can get REALLY loud when he wants to, it is ear piercing and really screechy, obviously each bird is different, but most are capable of getting loud, if you have close neighbors, or live with people, you would need to take this into consideration.

I would suggest spending time with Lorikeet’s before you go ahead and decide, some people aren’t able to cope with their special dietary needs, mess (even though there are several ways to make cleaning much easier for you), and their loudness.. I won’t lie, it is a lot of work, and if you don’t have the time to put into it/keep up with it, then you end up being stressed out, and your bird will be unhappy. They are worth every bit of extra work IMO, and are a real pleasure to have overall.

Last edited:

Bri393

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bri
I have a scaly breasted lorikeet called SIMON!!!

Name: Simon
D.O.H - September 2011
Gender - Unknown
Species - Scaly breasted lorikeet
simy.jpg :dance4:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Our flock's roll call is (from the oldest)

Melanistic (blue fronted) Rainbow Lorikeet called Blue and is female
Moluccan Red Lory called Red and is male (he's top bird although he spends most of his time following Blue around like a puppy lol)
Mustard (possibly dilute?) Scaly Breasted Lorikeet called Mstar and female (hormonal little monster at the moment who thinks the world is about to end)
Mustard/olive - not sure on actual colour Scaly Breasted Lorikeet called Millow and male - partnered with the little monster and is the complete opposite of her LOL

The photo of Red and Blue was taken with my D5000 and the photo of MStar and Millow was taken with my iPhone hence the difference in quality. Everytime I try to get the camera near Millow he tries to jump on so it's nearly impossible to get decent photos! Will upload some more when I get snap happy again. Enjoy 'cos we certainly do, clowns of the bird world they are indeed! :D

M

Attachments