• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeets in cold(?) climates

NZ-KSF

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kyall
Kia ora (hello) from New Zealand! Long time reader, first time poster. Super excited to be here :)

My partner and I adopted a Green Naped Lorikeet late last year at the beginning of our New Zealand Summer (December 2023) and we love our birdy very much. His name is Tango. He has an ear fetish, and loves to lick faces. He is also obsessed with the rice cooker.

Messenger_creation_dbe21ac2-5a9e-4c8d-a7d0-593331a550d2 (1).jpg

Anyway, our predicament…

During the summer months, we have been putting his cage outside in partial sunlight in the morning before going to work, and brining his cage inside in the late afternoons when we got home. Where we live (Hamilton, New Zealand), this seemed to be OK as the temperatures remained quite mild throughout the day (~20°C).

However, we are now diving head first into winter. Now if anyone knows anything about Hamilton, they will know that it can get foggy and cold. This morning the temperature got to 1°C when we left for work (granted, will likely warm up to 13°C). At the peak of winter, we can expect average temperature of 10°C, with average lows at around 0°C.

Ideally, we would want to put him outside as there seems to be a lot more he can look at when compared to inside (happy to be schooled on whether this is appropriate or not). We make sure to rotate in a bunch of enrichment to keep him entertained, and he gets plenty of out-of-cage time when we are home (including weekends). We are not opposed to keeping him inside on cold and wet days.

We are looking for some advice from other feather parents (ideally from those who have lorikeets), on;
  • Whether domesticated lorikeets can handle low temperatures (my research seems to have a bottom line of 4°C/40°F); and
  • If not, whether anyone has had similar experiences where they live, and what they do (do they have a nest box set up in their cage to keep their feathered family warm, or do they just keep their bird inside on those extra cold days.
Looking forward to reading everyone’s responses. Thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What kind of cage are you talking about? One large enough for him to have some areas to find shelter from wind etc in? Is it large enough for him to be very active- basically I am asking if the outdoor enclosure is an aviary or just a smaller indoor cage taken outside.

I would not think my macaw who sleeps indoors and stays nice and cozy warm all through winter would be comfy at all if I placed him outside in the Australian winter temps as it is just too cool for an indoor bird.
I do have a cockatoo who lives outdoors and he is not bothered by the day temps as he is acclimatized to the weather- being acclimatized makes a big difference to how they deal with the temp. Even though he is acclimatised I am not comfortable knowing it can get to 1C or under for a few hours overnight so I take him into the shed which is a tad warmer than outside and I have just bought him a heater for his cage and I also cover the cage openings with sheets of cardboard to keep any cold draft or damp out and I also offer him a well sheltered corner.

You need to be careful offering nest boxes but you can offer some shelter that is not likely to be taken as a nesting spot and cause you any issues.

What does your bird do when sitting in temps of 10C usually? Does he shiver or is he comfortable?

Reactions: tka

NZ-KSF

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kyall
Great advice Shez, appreciate your insight. Also, apologies for my terrible response time!

The cage we have is this: Avi One 604 Bird Cage » The Parrot Place. We keep a surround on the bottom of the cage which blocks wind etc.

He looks to have acclimatised to 10 degree temperatures and does not shiver, but definitely not the extra-cold mornings. Honestly we are playing it safe and leaving Tango inside most days because it has been pretty cold. If I am working from home I'll try get him out and about.

Re. Nest Box: yeah we are learning that the hard way - unintentionally made one out of an upside down wok and he had become quite obsessed with it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
we have been putting his cage outside in partial sunlight in the morning before going to work, and brining his cage inside in the late afternoons
Ideally, we would want to put him outside as there seems to be a lot more he can look at when compared to inside
Given the cage he has, and the fact you bring him inside and outside, I would recommend you just keep him indoors until the weather warms up.
You could put the cage near a window if you wanted to offer a view, but with some good foraging activities and toys, he can be happy indoors.
He will be safe and warm.